Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I just purchased a Mini-14 target, which I pick up on Monday. There's a huge backlog of CC licensing processing, so I ordered it Monday, and I pick her up this Monday. Anyways, I went with the entry level Leupold VX-I 3x9x40mm Scope here: (matte, $195 on Amazon, and the Leupold 110290 Mark 2 IMS 1" mount here: Amazon.com : Leupold 110290 Mark 2 IMS 1" : Airsoft Gun Scope Mounts : Sports & Outdoors

I come from gun 'unfriendly' MA, but since moving back to FL, I finally got things moving. The gf owns an SR22, which she had never fired, but I've since put over a half case of ammo through, and I picked up a Glock 43 for CC, when FL gets my licensed processed, and have put over a case of ammo through that. I love them both!

All that being said, I've wanted the Mini-14 Target for years now, and I'm so glad I 'pulled the trigger' the other day. I'm finding it hard to find aftermarket parts, as most are advertised for the ranch, etc, and I'm not sure if they fit both, and it is usually not specified. I would GREATLY appreciate linkies to some affordable bipods (quality and ease of removal would be nice), as well as what brand (if I have an option), and what extended magazines are available? I'm thinking 20 and 30, no restrictions here in sunny FL. I know quite a few gun sites, but I'm not sure which parts are compatible, as evidenced by my n00b question about the bipod. This is also my first rifle :)

I know she's 1:9 twist, only shoots .223 rem, and have a half case en route. I've read that 'other than OEM magazines' can be trouble, but that info may have been dated? My goal is to cluster 2" at 300yrds once I get the harmonic dampener dialed in, but I would definitely be up for hunting boar or even deer with it. I know it may be a bit under-powered for that, but I figure why not perfect my aim and go for a headshot?

Thanks in advance for the input!!

EDIT: PS, tax extensions are due today! I'm an CPA, NOT IRS!!! I'm here to help my clients keep their hard earned dollars from uncle same within the constrains of the IRC.

·
Exalted One
1,803 Posts
Taxman, welcome aboard!

Most will recommend using only Ruger factory mags. They will work just fine in the Mini-14 Target model and come in 5, 10, 20, and 30-round sizes. Some other after-market mags work for some folks, so I would encourage you to check out which ones. I'm sure some will chime in.

Most anything unrelated to the barrel that works for a Mini-14 will likely work on the target model. Not sure about gas bushing changes, though.

Good luck on getting a 2" group at 300 yards. It is a tack driver, for sure, but I suspect you'll be closer to a 3" group if you use quality ammo; larger with bulk factory ammo.

I don't know the laws in FL regarding minimum calibers for hunting deer. In VA, .223 isn't allowed. Would recommend checking them out first.

There have been many a boar and deer taken out with Mini-14s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you KameBastard!

Taxman, welcome aboard!

Most will recommend using only Ruger factory mags. They will work just fine in the Mini-14 Target model and come in 5, 10, 20, and 30-round sizes. Some other after-market mags work for some folks, so I would encourage you to check out which ones. I'm sure some will chime in.

Most anything unrelated to the barrel that works for a Mini-14 will likely work on the target model. Not sure about gas bushing changes, though.

Good luck on getting a 2" group at 300 yards. It is a tack driver, for sure, but I suspect you'll be closer to a 3" group if you use quality ammo; larger with bulk factory ammo.

I don't know the laws in FL regarding minimum calibers for hunting deer. In VA, .223 isn't allowed. Would recommend checking them out first.

There have been many a boar and deer taken out with Mini-14s.
Thanks RJF! I'd be happy with 3" groups :). I will definitely stick with the factory mags, and be sure to check FL law regarding hunting. Thank you for the welcome!

As to mounting your bi-pod, check out this recent thread on Perfect Union.
Sweet, thanks CO Steve!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Taxman , not tryin to be snarkie, I was on 3 other sites and all wanted to know about a bi pods. As to one of your questions , the Target is the same as the Ranch the only difference is the chamber. The target is chambered in .223 "ONLY" thats the only difference. Any thing that will fit a Ranch will fit a Target as far as aftermarket parts go. With the exception of the barrel there the same gun. As far as mounting bi pods, refer to Steves post #4. Pretty much anything you want to know about mounting a bi pod on a Mini is on the Perfect Union post's.

·
Banned
513 Posts
As far as mounting bi pods, refer to Steves post #4. Pretty much anything you want to know about mounting a bi pod on a Mini is on the Perfect Union post's.
I've seen that post you and steve refer to... But I kinda like the way the Harris adapter looks, it give the mini a little more bling:D Now if they would make it out of a 7075-T651 aerospace alloy, it would be super strong and way less than 3 grams. Also, I had to bend and reset the ears on my adapter so it would fit properly. They came a little crooked and the adapter was sticking out on one side.:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taxman , not tryin to be snarkie, I was on 3 other sites and all wanted to know about a bi pods. As to one of your questions , the Target is the same as the Ranch the only difference is the chamber. The target is chambered in .223 "ONLY" thats the only difference. Any thing that will fit a Ranch will fit a Target as far as aftermarket parts go. With the exception of the barrel there the same gun. As far as mounting bi pods, refer to Steves post #4. Pretty much anything you want to know about mounting a bi pod on a Mini is on the Perfect Union post's.
Haha, not snarky at all, and I'm glad you found something you like. I read through the thread, but ended up going with the Harris + adapter for now, as a good friend is coming in town I haven't seen in ages, and I can just pop it on without drilling/fiddling. I've rebuilt my prior engine by hand with some car guru friends (used to car forums), and am no stranger to precision, but I really just don't feel like messing with all that in the meantime. I will revisit it, after seeing if I like the Harris or not. I also have a half case of .223 rem waiting for me at home, along with the scope, etc, so after reading all the manuals I'll be ready to break her in with my good gun buddy this week! Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've seen that post you and steve refer to... But I kinda like the way the Harris adapter looks, it give the mini a little more bling:D Now if they would make it out of a 7075-T651 aerospace alloy, it would be super strong and way less than 3 grams. Also, I had to bend and reset the ears on my adapter so it would fit properly. They came a little crooked and the adapter was sticking out on one side.:confused:
I went with the Harris for now. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job. And maybe this video will help you out, skip to 1:50 into the video and the guy will show you how it is attached.
Thanks for the vid KameBastard! I can pick up the Target in about 9.5 hours, and I've been waiting to get this beaut for 5+ years, so I'm pretty excited, haha! :D I have the scope and mount here, and the Harris bipod + adapter arrive tomorrow. I 'had' to hook up the Leupold flip back covers and a cleaning pen as that rubber stretchy business that comes with the scope stock is a damn dust/hair/debris magnet!! I have a couple 20 rd magazines coming on Weds too, so I should be good for some range fun, and hunting down the road once I learn the ropes. I have plenty of close friends that hunt, etc, but have been out of the loop/culture due to my Masshole heritage, haha. I'll post some pics of the girl once she's all set up.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and advice! I very much appreciate all the advice! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been wanting this rifle for a long time!

Been a long two weeks, but I picked her up last night! I need some type of rail adapter because the Leupold 110290 Mark 2 IMS 1" is a too wide (that or a different piece altogether). Can anyone clue me in to what I need to make these work, or do I need to return the Mark 2 IMS 1" and get a different model #? Again, I'm new to rifles, and there is very little info, and it seems most manuf's leave (at least me) guessing as to... will this fit/work? :/ Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics of the my Target. She's just as beautiful as I imagined! The FFL dealer busted the handle off the case (easy fix) and he gave it to me for free, which was nice! :)

Attachments

·
Banned
513 Posts
Been a long two weeks, but I picked her up last night! I need some type of rail adapter because the Leupold 110290 Mark 2 IMS 1" is a too wide (that or a different piece altogether). Can anyone clue me in to what I need to make these work, or do I need to return the Mark 2 IMS 1" and get a different model #?
No its fine, you will have those spaces between the rings. I must say mine are not that far apart. But regardless it is the pressure that keeps them on. Do not torque them down too tight but just snug enough to let the back pressure of the screws keep them in place. You don't want a lot of pressure on that tube. But I did notice something about your bi-pod set up. Were is the sling ring that is suppose to be on the gas block? The "small" forks on the front of the adapter slides inside the sling ring and into the "large" forks. Also at the tip of the adapter there is a grove for the bottom of the "small" forks to sit in. With out these things the adapter will not stay tight.

look at the front of my gas block, you will see how the sling ring wraps around the small movable forks. need to have it at a 90% angle when you set it up.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I also need to add. Installing a sling ring on your gas block is no big deal. Just can't figure out why Ruger sent you one with out it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No its fine, you will have those spaces between the rings. I must say mine are not that far apart. But regardless it is the pressure that keeps them on. Do not torque them down too tight but just snug enough to let the back pressure of the screws keep them in place. You don't want a lot of pressure on that tube. But I did notice something about your bi-pod set up. Were is the sling ring that is suppose to be on the gas block? The "small" forks on the front of the adapter slides inside the sling ring and into the "large" forks. Also at the tip of the adapter there is a grove for the bottom of the "small" forks to sit in. With out these things the adapter will not stay tight.

look at the front of my gas block, you will see how the sling ring wraps around the small movable forks. need to have it at a 90% angle when you set it up.
Thanks again Kame! I got the scope mounted properly... there was some adapter plate thing that mounted with 3 screws. The part isn't listed in the manual for some reason?

Anyways, as far the the bipod goes, I knew something was missing, but wasn't sure what. I didn't see a sling ling listed in the manual either, and I definitely don't have one. Was that supposed to come with the rifle, or with the Harris bipod and/or adapter? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Banned
513 Posts
James T.,you just wanted to show off that barrel again!

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

Thanks again Kame! I got the scope mounted properly... there was some adapter plate thing that mounted with 3 screws. The part isn't listed in the manual for some reason?

Anyways, as far the the bipod goes, I knew something was missing, but wasn't sure what. I didn't see a sling ling listed in the manual either, and I definitely don't have one. Was that supposed to come with the rifle, or with the Harris bipod and/or adapter? Thank you!
Oh I forgot about the rail Ruger sends with there rifles now. Thats optional if you like, I think the regular Ruger scope rings do just fine but I'm kinda of a Fudd. And the sling ring was suppose to come with the rifle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Found the rings, but the adapter doesn't fit the target. Apparently the stock differs. I brought it to my local gunsmith and he told me to call Harris to find out what the deal is. I'll deal with them tomorrow, and will just use some sand bags this weekend. Thanks again for all the help!

Cheeers

·
Banned
513 Posts
Found the rings, but the adapter doesn't fit the target. Apparently the stock differs. I brought it to my local gunsmith and he told me to call Harris to find out what the deal is. I'll deal with them tomorrow, and will just use some sand bags this weekend. Thanks again for all the help!

Cheeers
I'm gonna have to stress that the adapter will fit. I had to bend the large forks slightly past a 90% angle on mine to get it to sit on the gas block correctly. It just tightens on the gas block and shouldn't be touching the stock. I finally found a quick fix for you since you do not have a sling ring. You can try using a pin to hold it in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts