Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
National Drone Registration to be Announced Monday

Yup no Drone rights in the constitution!

Drone owners to be required to register devices | Fox News

No indication if only for new drones or also already purchased drones.

Read in another article that registration will not simply be getting a sticker. To receive registration you will have to agree to a book of rules. If you break the rules Federal Offense.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'll tell them about mine, when they tell me about theirs.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
As if FOX News had any credibility. The same source that says violent video games are the cause of school shootings. Idiots!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
National Drone Registration.....

They're going to be busy once the gubbermint registers all theirs..... ;) :D

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Playing GTA 4 right now as I'm typing this. This game makes me wish I was Serbian. :D

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,256 Posts
I'm thinking it is about time for this. Doubt if it applies to kids in their back yard playing with a $50 rc helicopter toy, but these things are getting much bigger and more sophisticated and autonomous. The news media is using them intensively now. Soon you're going to see them doing all sorts of jobs as you go about your day, like agronomy tasks of flying over crop fields checking soil moisture and insect and weed prevalence then feeding that back to the center pivot system which will apply water or herbicide more precisely.

Pretty neat stuff, but the skies are getting more crowded and there have been quite a few aircraft close calls reported in the media in the last week or two. Time to apply more flight rules on these operators, and much stricter penalties for breaking them.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
As if FOX News had any credibility. The same source that says violent video games are the cause of school shootings. Idiots!
Fox isn't the only network reporting the registration of drones. Put down your video game controller and see how all the news channels have been reporting the drone registration for days.

Perhaps you should learn more about reporting. Fox, as a network, isn't saying that the video games are the cause, they are reporting that others are making that claim.

Many of the other networks have close ties (like Sony, etc) to the games and movies/shows that some are claiming have a causational relationship to increased viloence. Do you really think they would include that in any of their stories?

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I'm thinking it is about time for this. Doubt if it applies to kids in their back yard playing with a $50 rc helicopter toy, but these things are getting much bigger and more sophisticated and autonomous. The news media is using them intensively now. Soon you're going to see them doing all sorts of jobs as you go about your day, like agronomy tasks of flying over crop fields checking soil moisture and insect and weed prevalence then feeding that back to the center pivot system which will apply water or herbicide more precisely.

Pretty neat stuff, but the skies are getting more crowded and there have been quite a few aircraft close calls reported in the media in the last week or two. Time to apply more flight rules on these operators, and much stricter penalties for breaking them.
In my eyes it's nothing more than just Government trying to control the things you own. Whether it be cars or guns or even dirt bikes and ATVs. WE DON'T NEED MORE RULES AND REGULATIONS!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
In my eyes it's nothing more than just Government trying to control the things you own. Whether it be cars or guns or even dirt bikes and ATVs. WE DON'T NEED MORE RULES AND REGULATIONS!
Government registration and licensing is usually promoted as a means to protect the people and increase safety but it usually devolves into just another way to make money for the government. A perfect example is my medical license; once promoted as a means to ensure that the public knew who the competent (i.e. properly trained) doctors were, it has become just another revenue stream ($300 per doctor per year in Oregon) and the Medical Boards turn a blind eye to all but the most egregious examples of medical malpractice.

The drone registration is being pushed as a way to ensure that drone operators know to stay out of protected airspace, but nothing in the registration process will do that. And there's no way that they're going to put transponders on the drones, so a "rogue" drone will be unidentifiable unless it crashes and the serial number can be read.

Like so much legislation and regulation, this is just a way to appear to do something about the problem without actually doing anything about the problem.

Jim

·
Registered
261 Posts
What, you must have FOX news going 24x7 in your house. Going by your comments you sure watch it a lot.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will be interesting to see what the cost to register will be.

You $1,000 or so for a good drone so they should be able to hit you up for $50 to $75 per year to register. Will probably be lower we will just have to see how high they feel they can push it.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
This is why I don't have one.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/faq/#qn4

For any business use you are required to get permission from the FAA. "Surely, that doesn't apply to short videos of bat houses we post on YouTube!" WRONG... I am running a business, I am not videoing for "fun" but to share images of our product we offer for sale. By the letter of the law I would be required to file for an "exemption" (see section 3) to get approval to not have approval. :confused:

I'm not touching it with a 10' pole... well actually that's what I use is a 10' pole with a GoPro.

Basically, they plan to make everyone guilty so they can pick and choose who to prosecute for what as they see fit. Lately, it would seem that is what government does.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
There's probably nothing in the realm of recreation more heavily regulated than general aviation flight. I know a drone is not the same as an actual airplane. But it occupies airspace and it flies and it is controlled by an ordinary citizen so it's not hard to see the FAA taking a real interest in this.

Under the pretense of public safety and welfare (real or imagined) there is a potential revenue stream to be had. Someone in the GAO has done the math and there's money in it for Big Brother.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
And this wouldn't even be an issue if pilots of these things would just have flown them at a designated R/C club field and/or abide by the simple AMA guidelines for model aircraft and FPV models. We would still be under the Feds 'radar' so to speak. The few idiots out there ruin it for the rest of us.... We that fly responsibly for hobby purposes and respect privacy. The AMA has been working with the FAA, but there are the few that just won't 'think' and really need 'hammered'.... Public perception is everything, so FAA steps in... For business use you should get certified/licensed as they are usually heavier with a bigger camera and such.... And could possibly endanger someone if they fell out of the sky. That eliminates the "gee, I didn't know excuse" when something bad does happen.

Every time something bad happens or think could happen, there is a crowd that thinks that legislation will 'solve' the problem, By reducing freedoms ... does that solve problems? Take guns. Only the law abiding are affected by any and all gun legislation. The bad guys simple ignore them and find gun free zones to have there day in infamy. Anyone with half a brain should understand that. All about 'control'.

Nothing wrong with Fox or Drudge on-line. I've found drudge to be tops, and Fox at least attempts to do some truthful reporting, the other networks are just another wing of the left propaganda machine and no attempt at truthful 'just the facts' reporting.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
...For business use you should get certified/licensed as they are usually heavier with a bigger camera and such.... And could possibly endanger someone if they fell out of the sky. That eliminates the "gee, I didn't know excuse" when something bad does happen....
I partially agree and disagree with that statement. Yes IF you are a business flying a larger heavier drone for some really commercial purpose i.e. Ford shooting video for a car commercial I absolutely believe you should be a licensed operator and know what you are doing. But what about the agent flying one around houses to take pictures for their real estate listings? Or a home inspector that has discovered they can check out gutters and roofs without climbing? Or a small ranch counting cows? Or someone like myself who has a small business with a product that I want to get some unique perspectives on? The problems with the regs, they write them for the big guys then crush the little guys with them when it suits their purpose.

Did you know I can't use video from inside national parks without a permit? Same deal, written for the big guys so they can make money on movies, keeps me from presenting a video of our bat houses on park lands because it is too costly and onerous to comply and that's IF you can figure out the laws.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
And this wouldn't even be an issue if pilots of these things would just have flown them at a designated R/C club field and/or abide by the simple AMA guidelines for model aircraft and FPV models. We would still be under the Feds 'radar' so to speak. The few idiots out there ruin it for the rest of us.... We that fly responsibly for hobby purposes and respect privacy. The AMA has been working with the FAA, but there are the few that just won't 'think' and really need 'hammered'.... Public perception is everything, so FAA steps in... For business use you should get certified/licensed as they are usually heavier with a bigger camera and such.... And could possibly endanger someone if they fell out of the sky. That eliminates the "gee, I didn't know excuse" when something bad does happen.

Every time something bad happens or think could happen, there is a crowd that thinks that legislation will 'solve' the problem, By reducing freedoms ... does that solve problems? Take guns. Only the law abiding are affected by any and all gun legislation. The bad guys simple ignore them and find gun free zones to have there day in infamy. Anyone with half a brain should understand that. All about 'control'.

Nothing wrong with Fox or Drudge on-line. I've found drudge to be tops, and Fox at least attempts to do some truthful reporting, the other networks are just another wing of the left propaganda machine and no attempt at truthful 'just the facts' reporting.
Legislating to the lowest common denominator.....

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
There's probably nothing in the realm of recreation more heavily regulated than general aviation flight. I know a drone is not the same as an actual airplane. But it occupies airspace and it flies and it is controlled by an ordinary citizen so it's not hard to see the FAA taking a real interest in this.

Under the pretense of public safety and welfare (real or imagined) there is a potential revenue stream to be had. Someone in the GAO has done the math and there's money in it for Big Brother.

If all drone users had bothered to get (and read) an aviation map of their flight area, we wouldn't have had the cry for the government to "do something". I've seen drones flying in the traffic pattern of local general aviation airports at (and above) pattern altitude. Even one of the little hobby drones could bring down a Cessna 150; they could probably cause an engine failure in a commercial jet, if they went down the intake. There's no excuse for even a novice drone "pilot" to let their aircraft overfly an airport, no matter what size.

That said, I can't see how registration will fix any of that, apart from making it easier to track down the culprit when a drone crash lands on the White House lawn (and make a few bucks for the bureaucracy). If a jet airliner ingests a drone, it's unlikely that the serial number - or registration number - will be readable. We'll still have to address the issue of drones flying where they shouldn't.

This reminds me - painfully - of all the useless laws passed by legislatures in order to look like they're "doing something" about gun violence. Like those pointless "universal background check" laws, drone registration will only grow the bureaucracy, it won't solve the problem.

Jim

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
But what about the agent flying one around houses to take pictures for their real estate listings? Or a home inspector that has discovered they can check out gutters and roofs without climbing? Or a small ranch counting cows? Or someone like myself who has a small business with a product that I want to get some unique perspectives on? The problems with the regs, they write them for the big guys then crush the little guys with them when it suits their purpose.
Yes, I agree the problem with the regs (all depends on the language), is they'll probably apply to all instead of having 'exclusions'. If your drone weights less then 10oz exclude it... Or if you flow on your 'own property' only (like in your back 40 acres counting your cattle or looking for predators, or overflying your field of crops, or say company property to view your new Hummer from the top side) there shouldn't be a problem. But if you 'publicly' fly down a street that is where the gray area crops up.

Works the same at our R/C club. If no one is around but you, fly-crash to your hearts content.... But if others are out there, you must show (or have shown) to the rest of us you know how to fly before you go solo.... Just for our safety and property protection (cars, etc) . Simple. Sort-of common sense.

This reminds me - painfully - of all the useless laws passed by legislatures in order to look like they're "doing something" about gun violence. Like those pointless "universal background check" laws, drone registration will only grow the bureaucracy, it won't solve the problem.
Totally agree. Just adds layers of unnecessary bureaucracy, but a few bad apples spoils the bunch. And there is always a few that buy into it. "If it only saves one life... the restriction is worth it" "yeah, yeah pass it, pass it". :rolleyes:

The problem as I see it is technology of making these things easy to fly. You can put GPS coordinates in them and they can fly themselves now. My son did that in one of his prop planes (not a drone) around the club field. It flew to way-points while his transmitter was sitting on the ground hands off. Could land itself too. You used to have to have 'skill' to fly planes, and helis, and such.... Not anymore and that I think is where the problem lies. Anyone can go pick up a drone at wally-world, or a hobby shop and your are 'flying' :rolleyes: . Whee. Call that fun... And then buy a camera to talk photos from ground to as high as you can go or over others property, or go FPV and go anywhere out of line of sight. While 'neat/cool', this is something that now can be severely 'abused' in my mind.

·
Registered
250 Posts
What's next, a NICS check to by a toy drone! This insanity happens because our politicians try to think for us. Gt rid of all of them and replace them with people that have brains!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts