Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I usually go with Hornady. I have also carried Federal. Both have good options for the 380. Right now I have the Hornady loads.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I agree with those who have suggested Hornady Critical Defence, I agree enouhgh that I stake my life on it. Not only in the .380, but also the .38 and 9mm. It is a good load.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
:rolleyes: Because of the short barrels of most pocket carry guns, I load mine with FTX and alternate FMJ for expansion & penetration ... Put the odds in your favor

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
So fill us in, winter time, heavy clothing on the perp, or Texas, Florida Tshirt time all winter?
Short, short barrel like LCP, longer like a Glock 42, or a post war 4.5 or 5" mouser type fire arm?

Heavy winter clothing, leather coats etc I suggest you go ball ammo. So it will not rxpand, but it has the best chance of getting in deep enough to stop the threat.

Tshirts in warm weather, most good SD hollow points may expand, but really short barrels are poor at generating FPS. What the advertised factory speed is usually from a far longer barrel than a pocket gun.

Your milage may vary, batteries not included, some assembly required, Hillary lies, Americans Die

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I feed Hornady Z-Max .380 to my Elsie Pea.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More info on usage:
Home defense and/or ccw for my wife's Sig P238. Penetration through clothing could be anywhere from very light to heavy; Missouri has hot summers and cold winters.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I like the Hornady Zombie Max, which are probably the same as the Critical Defense but with a cooler box and green inserts instead of red.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I sometimes carry a Beretta 84. My main magazine is loaded with Federal old school Hydrashok.
I like any of the main 380 JHP options...Gold Dot, XTP, Critical Defense. But the Hydrashok did well in testing, and shoots well in my gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been doing some research on .380 ammo for a friend that is getting one.
So far there are 3 that i would recommend. Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator, Ruger Polycase ARX Inceptor and R.I.P. ammo. They are all constructed different but all seem to be very effective.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts