Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to sell off a few guns. Hunting season is around the corner and I figure there may be a couple guys looking for good shootin' stuff.

I want to put 'em up on Gunbroker but am not quite sure of the timing. Would now be good? Should I wait a month? Six weeks? :confused:

For rifles, I intend to sell a Browning A-Bolt with muzzle brake in .300 WSM, Browning Mountain TI in .308 Win., a Ruger No.1 Bicentennial "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" in .270 Win. (Pretty wood on that one!) and maybe a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06.

Shotguns: Browning Auto 5 "Sweet Sixteen", Ithaca Model 39 and a Browning "Double Auto".

No handguns to sell at this time, though I have a S&W K38 Masterpiece (abt. 1968) with the 3 T's in the original box that will be finding a new home and possibly a Ruger GP100 DAO.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MC

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Perhaps you should put them in the classified section?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
You could try putting them up for sale here in a classified ad. That's easy and free.

I use Gun Broker a lot and have been very happy with the process. The fees are modest and it's especially low-risk for the seller (you don't ship until you get paid.) I think your timing is good heading into hunting season. I've noticed Bass Pro, Cabela's, et al are staring to have their fall hunting promotions. A guy buying a new rifle would want some time to work with it before taking it hunting so I wouldn't wait too long. You have a number of guns to sell and that will take a bit of time on your part to photograph, list and run through auctions so it's not too early to get started IMO.

Other folks here seem to like Armslist and other more local avenues that can give you a FTF deal and avoid the shipping hassles. Long guns are less hassle than handguns in the shipping dept. but nothing beats the ease of a FTF for cash.

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps you should put them in the classified section?
I don't think so. I will sell them for sure.
The plan is to run the auctions long enough to get good exposure with no reserve $0.01 starting bid.
Putting anything in "classifieds" puts a price on it and they generally sit. A penny auction will sell at the market value for that particular gun on that particular day to an interested buyer.

Besides, I have a couple friends that have been bugging me to sell them a couple of these. I'm thinking an auction is the way to pry money out of their musty, old wallets! ;)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I don't think so. I will sell them for sure.
The plan is to run the auctions long enough to get good exposure with no reserve $0.01 starting bid.
Putting anything in "classifieds" puts a price on it and they generally sit. A penny auction will sell at the market value for that particular gun on that particular day to an interested buyer.

Besides, I have a couple friends that have been bugging me to sell them a couple of these. I'm thinking an auction is the way to pry money out of their musty, old wallets! ;)
With no reserve and a starting bid of a penny you are correct - you will sell them for sure. It can often work to your advantage to sell that way but it does take a bit of nerve not to fret over something selling a lot cheaper than you'd like.

And you're right - selling guns to friends can be tough if you really want or need fair market value. Friends expect to get the "buddy deal" and if you feel like giving someone the "buddy deal" that's nice. But if you need the funds or don't feel especially philanthropic it can get awkward. Besides the risk of the gun you sell developing an issue and there may be ensuing hard feelings, etc. One of the things I like about GB is the distance there is between the seller and buyer. Purely a business transaction.

I will say I have sold a few guns here in the classifieds and got what I felt was fair market value so you never know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts