Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally used up my huge supply of tetra grease I have been using for many years and now need get something for my handguns. What are you guys recommending these days? Any new products out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use TW25b from Mil-Comm products and am very pleased. They have a sampler kit of cleaner, lube and grease for $15.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Not new, but Ballistol has a lot of fans. I use it and it works great.

Frog Lube seems to be gaining quite a few converts, too.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
While I used FP10 for many years, I switched over to WeaponSheild a couple of years ago with great results.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i'm on all the cleaning supply bandwagons. i've got some i use frog lube, some mPro7, some ballistol--they all seem to work just fine.

hickok45 on youtube uses ballistol exclusively, and he seems to shoot more than all of us--without any lube issues.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any experience with any of the products mentioned. But I like the idea of one product for everything. It just seems to me that the spray products couldn't lubricate effectively. But like I said, I have no experience. I like to be able to shoot my XD a couple of hundred rounds at a time. And, I clean every time I shoot it.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I am a real fan of Weapon Shield.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
All good brand lubes do the trick.
Just use it sparingly, a little goes a long way.
I use this at present.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I use the Hoppes #9 and gunlube for over 30 years. guess it's because I was born in Westcheter PA. where the Hoppes solvents and oils are made...gotta' keep it close to home!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
I have finally used up my huge supply of tetra grease I have been using for many years and now need get something for my handguns. What are you guys recommending these days? Any new products out there? Thanks.
FrogLube! Check it out on www.froglube.com. It's made by and for Navy SEALS. It's the only cleaner, lubricant, protectant I use any more. I use it on all my guns, long and short. 100% American made and a portion of the proceeds go to troops, vets and wounded warriors. Non flammable, so safe its certified by the USDA as food grade. Has a nice wintergreen smell. There's no petroleum products in it so it's safe for everything everywhere on your gun. It penetrates the surfaces so it dries and polishes leaving no oily residue so it doesn't attract dirt.

It's only been available to the public the last couple of years and their business is exploding. It even improves accuracy because of it's constant and even lubrication. Comes in a paste and liquid form for those hard to reach places.

Cleaning your gun after shooting is so easy I almost miss how long it used to take. Removes carbon, lead and copper plus with regular use and proper application those things won't stick to your gun anymore.

It's inexpensive because a little goes a long way and will not go bad.

Keep a bottle of Hoppes #9 around as an air freshener, but you won't be using it when you switch to FrogLube. It actually displaces petroleum based products.

When I clean my guns now, I wipe them down with a rag, brush areas like the breach face, clean small parts with patches and Q-tips, run a bore snake through the barrel a few times, follow up with white patches and relube the gun and bore with a tiny amount of FrogLube. Wipe it down with the washable micro fiber cloth the kit comes with and you are done. It takes about 5 but less than 10 minutes to clean a 1911.

Sorry for the long winded post, but it really is that good and the best break through in gun technology since smokeless gun powder! :D :D :D

I know I sound like an infomercial, but I'm excited about this stuff!

FrogLube CLP - YouTube

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Is your tetra grease still available? You have been using it for years, and there is the expression that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm in the process of evaluating frog lube, but have been using Mobil 1 for the past few years. Does a great job and I can't shoot my AR enough to cause enough heat for it to evaporate. Best part is when I'm done shooting it only requires a quick wipe down of the BCG and upper. No scrubbing or scraping needed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've joined the FrogLube group, recently purchsed a small tub and I believe that it has made a difference on both of my guns. I highly recommend it, the medium tub was $11.00, but it doesn't take much to do both guns and I like the appearance, cleaning and all around way it performs...give it a try.

·
Registered
90 Posts
James6591 I have a can of that G96 that I purchased 30 years ago & it is empty. I have been searching everywhere for it. I am from the Chicago suburbs & cannot find it. I gave up thinking that they are no longer in business. Any help I would appreciate it. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
17,454 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered a small quantity of SLIP 2000 LUBRICANT and BALLISTOL so I'm gonna give them a try. I appreciate the responses.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts