Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently ordered a Burris FastFire III and Ruger Dovetail Mount for my 22/45 Hunter with the 5.5" fluted barrel (now discontinued). My gun came stock with the HiViz Front Sight and V-Notch Adjustable Rear. I haven't sighted in the FFIII yet, but looking through it as-is, the dovetail mount sits it low enough that I have the front sight in view, but the front sight isn't high enough to co-witness so right now I'm getting half of the stupid fiber optic dot and the red dot. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm looking for a replacement front sight that fits one of the following criteria:

1. Shorter than the HiViz sights (and preferably black in color)
2. Plastic so that I can just file it down out of the way.​

I called Ruger Customer Support tonight, but I think the girl trying to help me worked for Remington or maybe Ford because she didn't know the first thing about the gun I was asking about. They don't have filler screws for the front sight hole and they are not the same as the ones for the receiver. Why, I don't know, but if I could talk to Bill Ruger, I'd ask him what kind of sick joke he was playing.

I want the front site off of this gun:

I think it would be short enough to be out of my way. I just need something to fill the stupid hole left when I take the original front sight off. I looked at Midway and they're sold out of the basic Ruger one (and they don't sell the one that I'm looking for anyway). They have the Tactical Solutions one, but it's medal.

Worst case scenario is I could put my picatinny rail back on and use the picatinny mount on the FFIII, but then I'm out $50 for the Ruger Dovetail mount and I've got that stupid oversized rail on my gun again. I was trying to eliminate this because it's a lot of extra rail for a teeny tiny red dot (never noticed it when I had the red dot scope on the pistol, but without it, it's terrible).

Any thoughts? Anyone have a 22/45 Threaded Barrel Model #10150 that they've replaced the sights on? I'd be glad to send you $10 for the old sight. Or any recommendations for a plastic front sight that I can just whittle down out of the way?

We're talking 1/16" of an inch or less here and it's annoying. I don't want to file down the original sight in case I ever want to put the gun back the way it came.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I found it.

Stupidity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts