Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyway a bunch of guys at my work are wanting to try out hog hunting. I have been in the market for a good all around gun for hunting anything that I could possibly want to go after in Texas.

I recently found a used Ruger No. 1 stainless with laminate wood for 699.99.

Comes with:
Clean bore and chamber
No dings in the metal, one or two minor dings in the wood
Chambered in 30-06
and finally a bushnell scope. (No irons)

For me the scope is no important as I would change it out as soon as finances would permit.

Do you think this is a good deal? I have no experience with No. 1s. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That would be a fair price for a blue one w/ decent wood if it was in a caliber I wanted. I don't know the stainless/laminate #1 market.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings,

Because Ruger stopped producing the stainless number one last year, they are getting hard to find. In the future, the stainless guns will go up in value. The 30-06 is one of the more useful do it all calibers. If you want a number one, that would be a good choice for target and hunting chores.

moondog911 :cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Because Ruger stopped producing the stainless number one last year, they are getting hard to find. In the future, the stainless guns will go up in value. The 30-06 is one of the more useful do it all calibers. If you want a number one, that would be a good choice for target and hunting chores.
Plus one.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Ceasing production doesn't equate to increased value. Value is all about demand and well...I just never see much demand for the stainless #1's. They lose all the style and class the blued/walnut ones have in my opinion. I wouldn't say the price is a great deal by any means but if it's worth that to YOU, that's what matters. The chambering will cover a wide variety of needs.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
huntin hogs with a No1 maybe not ideal they be great guns and I.m a fan. But hogs more often need more than one shot & fast. Yup sure 3006 be good but in a single shot rifle u may find your chasin a wounded into the scrub. Consider sumthin safe secure for bush handling with a magazine in bolt or lever.

·
Registered
629 Posts
So anyway a bunch of guys at my work are wanting to try out hog hunting. I have been in the market for a good all around gun for hunting anything that I could possibly want to go after in Texas.

I recently found a used Ruger No. 1 stainless with laminate wood for 699.99.

Comes with:
Clean bore and chamber
No dings in the metal, one or two minor dings in the wood
Chambered in 30-06
and finally a bushnell scope. (No irons)

For me the scope is no important as I would change it out as soon as finances would permit.

Do you think this is a good deal? I have no experience with No. 1s. Any help would be appreciated.
I have hunted hogs before and even though I have a Ruger No. 1 in 45/70 it sure wouldn't be my first choice as a rifle for that, OK for other things though. I never had trouble with Bushnell centerfire scopes even though I have had trouble with other name brand scopes at times that cost much more money.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
huntin hogs with a No1 maybe not ideal they be great guns and I.m a fan. But hogs more often need more than one shot & fast. Yup sure 3006 be good but in a single shot rifle u may find your chasin a wounded into the scrub. Consider sumthin safe secure for bush handling with a magazine in bolt or lever.

Place the shot correctly with GOOD ammo and you shouldn't need that additional shot. Too many rely more on extra shots than they do an actual ability and marksmanship.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good deal on a Ruger No.1 IMO. I have afew Ruger no.1 and one stainless steel Ruger no.1 in 25/06. Put a Leupold 4x12 on it and it's a real tack driver. Took me a while to get use to a stainless steel No.1 but quickly grew into one of my favorite rifles for bad weather. Only complaint is it's a little on the heavy side.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Place the shot correctly with GOOD ammo and you shouldn't need that additional shot. Too many rely more on extra shots than they do an actual ability and marksmanship.
very true but when I read he wants to "try out hog huntin" I,m thnikin it his 1st time and them piggys don't abide by puttin their heads close in yer gun sights and more often dam hard to stop on the 1st even good shot.

then he says " market for a good all around gun"
so consider a Rem 7615 pump in 308 be cheap tough fast yet safe bush gun. The no 1 be great to own once got the stalkin sorted but if hogs don't turn be your joy you got sumthin that's not quite right for many things in the collection, just saying.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Greetings ilerman,

If you should get tired of that nasty-stainless-laminated 30-06, :eek: I would be happy to take it off your hands. I make trips to Dallas very often to fly out hound dogs from DFW to new homes. It would have a nice home with my other Ruger rifles in the gun safe...

moondog911 :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you use correct shot placement should have no problem with single shot.With a little practice you should be able to get second shot about same as with a bolt action.I hunt almost exclusivly with a Ruger #1 or one of my Thompson Center Contenders or Encore pistols.Shoot lots of hogs and preditors with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts