Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help with suggestions for a good .22LR pistol for pocket carry for my wife. She is very recoil sensitive due to problems with her arm, and after many testes, we have pretty much settled on the .22 caliber for her; the .22WMR for HD and .22LR for pocket carry.

For HD she has decided on a Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22WMR. She likes that, although it is a full size gun, the grip fit is perfect and it is lightweight enough for her, even loaded. She can handle the recoil very well, and the fact that it carries 30 rounds, makes it the perfect gun for HD for her. I’ve been trying to get one for a reasonable price for quite sometime now, but no luck yet.

Now the question is what pistol for pocket/purse carry on .22LR or even .22WMR? She loves the size and grip feel of the LCP, but she can handle the recoil of the .380Auto. Too bad Ruger doesn’t have a LCP in .22LR; that would have been just perfect. She did try the LCR, but she absolutely does not like the feel of the revolver, at least this one.

She has not tried any other caliber in between .22 & .380, so we’re open for suggestions.

Thanks ahead,
Raul

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I need your help with suggestions for a good .22LR pistol for pocket carry for my wife. She is very recoil sensitive due to problems with her arm, and after many testes, we have pretty much settled on the .22 caliber for her; the .22WMR for HD and .22LR for pocket carry.

For HD she has decided on a Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22WMR. She likes that, although it is a full size gun, the grip fit is perfect and it is lightweight enough for her, even loaded. She can handle the recoil very well, and the fact that it carries 30 rounds, makes it the perfect gun for HD for her. I’ve been trying to get one for a reasonable price for quite sometime now, but no luck yet.

Now the question is what pistol for pocket/purse carry on .22LR or even .22WMR? She loves the size and grip feel of the LCP, but she can handle the recoil of the .380Auto. Too bad Ruger doesn’t have a LCP in .22LR; that would have been just perfect. She did try the LCR, but she absolutely does not like the feel of the revolver, at least this one.

She has not tried any other caliber in between .22 & .380, so we’re open for suggestions.

Thanks ahead,
Raul
In a pistol between .22 and .380, there aren't many. You could check out the NAA Guardian in .32ACP. It is LCP size, and heavier, being all stainless steel:

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/32guard/32guard.html

Or the Walther PPK in .32ACP, which is larger and a little pricey:

Product: PPK Pistol - .32ACP

Both of these pistols are more popular in their .380ACP versions, so you may find you would have to order the .32 models.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hey look at this 22 anit gonna do squaw t, better get her a 380 or a 9 , bet u one thing u make her happy yer happy , yup thats it u married her , we all have one ,case solved!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Really like a .25, super accurate once you learn to shoot a pocket pistol. I have an Intratec (kel- tec) that I really enjoy. My only complaint with a .25 is ammo cost is kinda high, much like the .380.

DR

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I agree with jaxrider to try out the Sig P238. It is a much better pistol than the lcp. The recoil is much lighter. But it is expensive. If she can't handle the recoil of a larger caliber than 22 then she will be better off with a 22 than nothing at all. Anyone who say's the 22 is useless for self defense should volunteer to let someone shoot them with it. The Beretta small pistols have a long history of reliability. Taurus makes a model PT22 that gets decent reviews. Good luck and find the right gun with her.
Here is a link to North American Arms they have some nice pocket revolvers. http://northamericanarms.com/firearms.html

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I agree with jaxrider to try out the Sig P238. It is a much better pistol than the lcp. The recoil is much lighter. But it is expensive. If she can't handle the recoil of a larger caliber than 22 then she will be better off with a 22 than nothing at all. Anyone who say's the 22 is useless for self defense should volunteer to let someone shoot them with it. The Beretta small pistols have a long history of reliability. Taurus makes a model PT22 that gets decent reviews. Good luck and find the right gun with her.
While far from ideal, I've always believed a semi-auto 22 that can quickly deliver 10 shots at close range is far from useless. Hit the right spots and it will be deadly.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a lot of pocket pistols, a wife who is recoil sensitive, with hand and arm strength issues, and can give some advice. I wont weigh in on the 22 LR argument for SD, but lets just say, its better than a sharp stick. Barely. Ok... If you can find her a Kel-Tec P32, its one of the best pistols for a recoil sensitive shooter. Its .32acp and a very soft shooting pistol. Do a little research and read the comments on the P32 and you will soon see that its highly respected. A Sig Sauer P238 is also a good option, and in .380acp, a caliber that WILL protect her. The Sig has way less recoil than the LCP, and is easy to rack, which also is a problem with persons who have hand/arm strength issues. If there is simply no convincing her that a centerfire pistol is the choice, get her a Taurus POLY PT-22. Its a different pistol than the older style PT-22. Its a redesign, and has solved the quality issues of the original PT-22. Its 22 Long Rifle. It has a unique design, with a Tip-Up barrel, this makes loading the first round very easy. There is no racking the slide to chamber a round. This does have a disadvantage for a SD pistol, there is no extractor, and if there is a misfire, racking the slide WILL NOT extract and eject the round. The barrel must be tipped up, and the round dug out of the chamber. The Ruger SR22P will get lots of comments for a SD 22 pistol, and while its a good gun, the OP said pocket carry, and the SR22P is too large for pocket carry. Ideally, the Sig Sauer P238 will agree with her, its an excellent option for a recoil sensitive person. Second would be the Kel-Tec P32, and lastly, the Taurus POLY PT-22.

Sig Sauer P238... Kel-Tec P32... and Taurus POLY PT-22...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts