Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted an SP101 Finally, I have the money and the chance to buy one. My only issue is the trigger action. It feels gritty. I'm not a very good tinkerer with my guns and tend to use gunsmiths-question
does the SP101 smooth out over time? or does it need action work?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have always wanted an SP101 Finally, I have the money and the chance to buy one. My only issue is the trigger action. It feels gritty. I'm not a very good tinkerer with my guns and tend to use gunsmiths-question
does the SP101 smooth out over time? or does it need action work?
Morning sage613

I have a number of SP 101's & while the trigger does smooth out slightly after many rounds down range I can't say they smooth out to anything that feels good in double action.

Single action is acceptable after some shooting or dry firing but I think you will have to work on the trigger parts & springs to get a decent double action trigger pull.

I do a lot of trigger work on my own personal guns & some for friends & co-workers & so far (other that the old Colts) the SP 101 has taken the most work to get a fine feeling low poundage totally smooth trigger on.

A little lighter spring work & some shimming (no reason that you can't do that yourself) & you can quickly get a fairly decent trigger pull but to get that fine tuned buttery smooth trigger pull on the SP 101 takes a LOT of work to get.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My neighbor asked me for help selecting a handgun for self defense as well as light range use. She is recoil sensitive, so I recommended an SP101 and she bought a new Wiley Clapp edition snubbie. On the first range trip the trigger was almost horrifying ... nasty! I was afraid that I led her to a bad decision. She could barely get it to go off, sometimes having to take a second pull at it after re-arranging her grip. We stuck with it, and after the fourth range trip and extended dry-firing sessions, the trigger has smoothed out and she is loving her SP101.

Not sure why Ruger can't do a little better job with the cleaning/smoothing at the factory. There is a lot of material available on the internet related to disassembly, cleaning, polishing, and spring change options ... after reviewing the available information I was prepared to open 'er up and try to smooth it out, but as it happens it smoothed out on its own.

My DA revolvers are mostly S&W and I love the triggers, but the SP101 after break-in is OK ... I can shoot it just as well as my S&W 36.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I find the trigger pull on both of my SP's to be fine. A bit of a longer pull than a S&W, but not gritty and certainly not overly heavy. Both are stock unworked triggers. I reckon it is the luck of the draw on whether you get a decent trigger or not.

·
Cat Herder
1,649 Posts
My SP101 was a little gritty at first, nothing bad. After about 1000 rounds I took it apart and cleaned it really well inside and replaced the springs with Wilson Combat springs. It is now much smoother. I think the cleaning mattered more than the springs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
sage613 a Ruger SP101 is a very stout robust little revolver built like a tank so to speak. How ever it does have its short comings with the stiff & gritty actions etc. Some of this has to do with the assembly and lack of Ruger doing a better job of cleaning out their product before sending it out. If you have the money do some looking around I personally like the 3 inch barreled SP101 the best its just about as easy to conceal as the 2.25 inch barrel SP101. Also do some break in period with your gun before you go and tear it down!! I have had several SP101's in the past I have found on my current one and the one before that there can be external rough spots on the hammer spur edge of the trigger and trigger guard. I have had to polish with my dremel tool very slightly. I am not wanting to tear my gun apart only to mess things up especially if it is running fine!!! They will smooth up with time, never be as smooth as a S&W because of the design. With mine I have noticed the action seems smoother I have done some oiling of my gun with Rem oil. There are videos on YouTube on how to do action jobs and change springs out etc. This is a great source to go to if this is what you need to do to smooth out the action. But none of my past Ruger SP101 I haven't needed to do a spring change etc. Good Luck hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Defect?

I recently purchased my first double-action Ruger, a new SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum. While I'm pretty happy with the limited range time I've had with it so far, I'm concerned about something I noticed after the first post-range cleaning.

After replacing the cylinder, I squeezed a bunch of double-action dry fires to try to learn how to feel where it would finally break. Probably a half-dozen times or so (scattered in among scores of dry fires) I pulled the trigger and had the action basically lock up partway through the rotation of the cylinder, i.e. before it had rotated fully into firing position. A little nudge of the cylinder seemed to clear it each time, but that obviously doesn't seem right, does it? I couldn't reliably reproduce the problem, so I don't know what might be causing it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a Ruger LCR in 38 Special for my wife. She tried the double action pull on three different manufacturers snubbies and the LCR was easily the winner for her. I was predisposed to the opinion the Smith would be the easiest. After she made her decision the guy at the LGS and I tried the double action on both and the LCR was the easiest and smoothest.
Now for the rest of the story. I have a SP101 with a 4" barrel. The double action pull has smoothed up from dry firing. I mostly shoot it single action and I can handle the single action pull very well. The double action pull is still heavy and horrible. I compared it to a Smith Model 60 and could not believe the difference. I know the 60 is a lighter built gun but that does not explain the much better factory double action on the S&W.
I do not understand why the SP101 has such a heavy trigger. It is not to heavy to shoot accurately at close range, so it is workable. From what I read here on the forum if you install lighter springs you are messing with reliability some and still do not have an awesome trigger.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have a 2" SP101 and dry fired and fired it a lot.
Nothing compares to how it smoothed out. You do not even feel the revolver stage or lock up it so smooth. I purchased it used and it had some grit to it, but they can become perfect.

Note to self, sone units are bad from the start and need Ruger Customer Service, but that is rare.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you can find a used double action only version (spurless hammer) of the .357 SP-101 snub, they tend to have nicer triggers than the standard version.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
They will break in over the first few hundred rounds. Use a wait and see approach to doing a trigger or spring kit job.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I had a trigger job done on my SP101 .357 with the Wolf Spring Kit, and the gun fires very nicely. Didn't think it was all that bad out of the box, by the way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts