Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an SP 101 and plan to use LSWCHP bullet regulary. As I intend to use it as my home defense gun. I need some advise as follows;

1. If I shoot many rounds in a session (50+), can it affect to the accuracy i.e. more fouling?
2. How to clean my gun after such range session. What solvent or other cleaner I can use?
3. What are the bullets which are suitable (cost and effectiveness) for my objective. I want to use the same bullet in practice and in real situation. Does it has to be +p bullet? I am only 5'4" and have small hand.

Thank you in advance for your sharing. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have started shooting lead from my SP, 158 gr SWC, handloading these in .38 cases with a minimum of Bullseye. Currently getting quite a bit of leading just past the forcing cone. I'm going to start changing variables to try to reduce leading like cutting 11 degree chamfer and playing with reloading options, but for now the Chore Boy routine works well for clean up, with Ed's Red homemade CLP as a chaser. I usually shoot 100 rounds at a time and clean afterward.

Good luck.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
You can get many pieces of advice about loading. I give you this advice wheich has been in this forum before and that is to avoikd liability of reloads as per the most experience firearms trial expert Masso Ayoob please only use factory ammo for self defens. Google mr Ayoobs articles in American Handgunner Combat handgusn and others and read his advice about only using factory ammo for self defense. if you want to reload to ientical specsa for practice fine but heed my advice to heed his advice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There are 2 guns , one for shooting lead in and the other one is for jacket bullet . You should not shoot jacket and lead in the same gun . Stainless barrel lead up faster then blue one and are harder season or brake in to where they don't leadup . A 11 degree forcing cone helps. I shoot 100+ rounds in my cast shooters and normal only a wet patch and then a dry and the barrel is done . The forcing cone takes a lot more work . I shoot my cast at 750FPS anything over 1000 I switch guns and go to jackets . 99% of my shootng is lead . This works for me since 1968 .

·
Registered
840 Posts
The Chore Boy method works very well. Just wrap a piece around your regular bronze bristle brush, but make sure the Chore boy is copper and not the steel type pad which can damage the rifleing over time. Another great cleaning brush is the "Tornado" brush, a spiral wound bronze brush that is great for removing lead fouling.
I reload and shoot both LSWC and LWC in my 38 and 357 handguns. I use Hoppes 9, soak the fouling and let it sit for a while then clean it out with the brush and follow up with patches. Works good for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
. You should not shoot jacket and lead in the same gun .

I have never heard that before. I do it with all my guns and have not had any problems. I am a low volume shooter so maybe it has not caught up with me yet.
Can you point me to more information so I can study up.

Which gun is used for semi-jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all of you. I do not plan to use reload bullets. It is impossible in my country.
Even some branded bullets are difficult to find. I also suspect that Chore boy and tornado brush are not available here also. I see only stuffs from Hoppes.

Or I may focus only jacketed bullets for my home defense?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I should know better that to try to help some people out . I do the SASS/CAS matches and I clean my barrel after a match of shooting 100 plus rounds in my guns and I clean them with a wet patch of Hoppe and then a dry patch . If you need to scrub your bore out with tornado or wire brush that is leaded up , don't that tell you that you are doing something wrong :rolleyes:. I cut barrel to 3 1/2 and built this gun in 2008 and shot over 10,000 rounds threw it and I don't think it has had ever had a drop of lead in the bore . The cylinder chambers need a little brushing from carbon build up once in awhile .

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I shoot cast in my 45 colt, 44 magnum and 357, I keep the velocity low and clean about every 100 rounds I have never had a problem with any of my guns by doing this. I use Break Free to clean with, but for cleaning I do think Hoppes is great too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts