Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to shoot .45 ACP and 460 rowland in the gun that I already own, its chambered for .45 colt. I know the blackhawks are strong revolvers, can it handle the pressure of 40,000 that the .460 rowland produces? Would I have to send my gun in for the indexing?

·
Registered
671 Posts
The people that you need to call for that are
Hamilton Bowen
John Linebaugh
Gary Reeder.
Yes you will probably have to send the revolver to them.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
You'll have to get a replacement cylinder - a 5 shot carpenter steel cylinder, and rework the internals to run as a 5 shot. It would not be safe to ream a 45acp cylinder for 460R, it's simply too much pressure. In that case, you'll not be able to swap back to 45colt without also re-converting the internals.

The Blackhawk is plenty strong enough to sustain the cartridge. The 454C and 480R run higher pressure and power, and the Super Blackhawk frame is not different than the Blackhawk.

You will, however, most likely want to have a recessed cylinder, similar to that used on the 454C and 480R SBH's, to provide additional support to the loading gate.

You also may find considerable issue with function. Without moon clips, even a generous taper crimp may not be enough to prevent crimp jump, or even jam the case too deeply into the chamber.

Overall - I'd personally just load hotter loads in 45colt than mess with a conversion to 460 Rowland, unless you just want to have something unique.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts