Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been shooting my new to me P90. With the previous owner and now myself, it has about 450 rounds through it. At seven yards it shoots low about three to seven inches. If this was my Model 19 357, Tel Kec 9mm, or Kimber 45, I would be creating a nice tight group at point of aim for this extremely close distance. Since I am shooting 230 gr. ball I think I am going to need a front sight with a dot that is lower than the original. When I line the rear two dots with the bottom of the front sight where it touches the slide, I raise the hits to about correct. Wondered if any other P90 guys have found this problem. I know this gun is described as a match grade performing pistol. The rear can't be raised due to the dove tail. If no other front sights are available I could file the front sight to remove the dot crater and blue then redrill the dot lower. Still might not be low enough. I understand I can be a part of this new gun's poor performance. When I fire it the sights are pretty much dead on regarding the elevation of sight picture but the windage could drift a little. This is what I see after the hammer falls anyway. Wondered what you might have experienced and if other sights can match the original rear sight. I do like the Ruger three dot sights as they are but ...

Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
How do your shots group with the P90? I just bought a P90. My first few rounds were about 4 inches low at 15 yards. I believe it was my trigger control. The SA trigger is pretty good, but it seems to have a lot of pretravel. Once I adjusted to the the round placement moved up to center. I fired about 50 rounds the first trip out and by the end, so I believe my first few rounds were all trigger control.

I suggest you shoot a few more rounds, consistent sight picture and concentrate on the trigger. It's a bit different than the Kimber.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My group is about 8 inches long and a bit of a string pattern vertically. I have dry fired this gun with my home made snap cap. When the hammer drops the sights are still lined up. With ear muffs and not really feeling any recoil with the Hogue grips I didn't feel I was moving very much especially at this close range. I agree the DA trigger is much different than the Kimber SA.
Good to hear Millit makes sights to fit in case I need some. Thanks for the feedback so far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ruger will send you a replacement rear sight if you call cs and explain the problem .the rear sight is easier to replace .how do the primer strikes look? it almost sounds like premature unlocking,

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,476 Posts
stoble, The very first thing I always recommend in a situation like yours is to have a well seasoned P-90 shooter give your gun a try. Odds are it's not the sights but rather the person connected to the trigger finger.

Here's some tips if it turns out to be you instead of the sights. If you reload or have a friend that reloads, make up a dozen rounds of dummy ammo. The ones I make have the primer pockets drilled out for easy identification plus I solder FMJ bullets in the cases. This makes a dummy that will hold up to the rigors of practice.

Have a friend "skip load" your magazine with a combination of live and dummy rounds so you won't know if you are going to get a bang or a click. When you squeeze the trigger on a dummy, watch what happens to your muzzle. If you're like many shooters, the muzzle will take a swan dive. Depending on how you place your finger on the trigger, you may see the muzzle pull left or right.

After you get a "click - no bang", operate the slide, eject the dummy round, and let the gun feed a new round that could be live or not. Continue to practice until you figure out what's wrong and how to correct it. The dummy ammo can be used over and over.

I find when I take a break from shooting for more than a month, I tend to pull low left. With some skip loading, I'll soon identify and correct the problem then go back to shooting decent groups. I keep several batches of dummy ammo in my shooting box that really comes in handy.

·
Registered
295 Posts
?dud?

We use that exact same drill without a cartridge. One stands with his back to the other and loads.
Surprises come when there isn't a ?dud? empty chamber
Nature: look for the ?dud? We have used both ?dud? and fully loaded
Found myself after concentrated firing; pulling the trigger on 7:) looking for the ?dud?:)

My shooting partner and I have :)fun:) watching each others moments.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I watched a new shooter with a P94 this afternoon. His rounds at about 10 yards were all going low. I did a bit of coaching on grip and trigger and his POI came up from about 8" to about 4". He only fired 5 rounds after my coaching. Sure enough, when he had a "dud" you could see the barrel dip.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. I am moving my office plus helping my girlfriend move to a new house. When this settles and I can get back to the range I'll see what new I can learn. Will let you know when I find out more. Appreciate your time to respond!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Have been shooting my new to me P90. With the previous owner and now myself, it has about 450 rounds through it. At seven yards it shoots low about three to seven inches. If this was my Model 19 357, Tel Kec 9mm, or Kimber 45, I would be creating a nice tight group at point of aim for this extremely close distance. Since I am shooting 230 gr. ball I think I am going to need a front sight with a dot that is lower than the original. When I line the rear two dots with the bottom of the front sight where it touches the slide, I raise the hits to about correct. Wondered if any other P90 guys have found this problem. I know this gun is described as a match grade performing pistol. The rear can't be raised due to the dove tail. If no other front sights are available I could file the front sight to remove the dot crater and blue then redrill the dot lower. Still might not be low enough. I understand I can be a part of this new gun's poor performance. When I fire it the sights are pretty much dead on regarding the elevation of sight picture but the windage could drift a little. This is what I see after the hammer falls anyway. Wondered what you might have experienced and if other sights can match the original rear sight. I do like the Ruger three dot sights as they are but ...

Thanks!
Greetings stoble: BIG P 90 FAN HERE. I was shooting just a little low with my KP90 so I wrote the folks at Ruger...requesting a higher rear sight....... and they sent me a higher one. The factory rear sight measured .375 inches from the bottom base surface to the top of its "ears".............the higher rear sight measured at .410 inches. That increase in rear sight height of .035 inches worked perfectly. I would try a higher factory rear sight........if what other members suggest doesn't work.......it may cure your problem. Other aftermarket sights are available.......I think HI-VIZ makes a sight for the P90.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Changing the sights may be an option, but I'd shoot it a while longer. I bought a used (1998) P90 a few weeks ago. My guess is that it had fewer than 2000 rounds fired, but it could be a lot more. The target below is my second time out, fired at 15 yards. I'd fired a 22/45 with VQ sear and trigger and my PT1911B before shooting the P90. I fired alternately 200 gr cmj, 200 gr lswc and 185 gr lswc reloads. The low left outside the black was me adjusting to the trigger and the high rounds were the 185 gr reloads, which it didn't like, although the rest of them went about where the other rounds went. I need to do some more trigger work with the pistol, but I'm convinced that after the unfair trial I gave it, the P90 is a darned accurate pistol. Wish I could say that about its present owner.

Spend some time getting accustomed to the pistol before you go fixing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts