Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing that I have to aim high with my SR9 to hit the target where I want. How do I adjust the rear sight to compensate for this problem? Probably a really simple question, but I am new to pistols and need some help. Thanks in advance!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
BaikalHunter25, Your instruction manual has a detailed guide for sight adjustment. Like any gun, moving the rear sight up raises the bullet's point of impact. The sight was preadjusted at the factory so if you are shooting more than a few inches low at 25 yards, it's more likely you than the gun. Anticipating recoil will cause you to pull the muzzle down just as you are squeezing the trigger. This will result in low hits.

Here's a few tips .... before you make any adjustments, have a well experienced shooter try your gun. If you determine it is you and not the gun, don't try to maladjust the sights to compensate for your problems. Instead, try skip loading. This is a great technique where you use "dummy ammo". Have a friend load your magazine with random live and dummy rounds. Each time you squeeze the trigger anticipating a bang, you will see the muzzle take a swan dive on the dummy loads. With awareness and continued practice, your hits will start going in the bullseye. If you don't reload, one of your shooting buddies that does reload can fix you up with a handful of dummy loads that have no primer, no powder, just a case and bullet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am actually shooting at a much shorter range than 25 yards. Most of my shooting has been done between 7 and 12 yards. Does this have something to do with my problem? My shots are all consistantly grouped towards the center of the target, just high or low.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
With your SR9 sighted in at 25 yards, it will shoot about 3/4 of an inch low at 7 yards. I highly suspect you are pulling the muzzle down before it goes bang .... very common problem. What you will learn to do is go ahead and let the muzzle rise when you shoot. Don't fight it or try to prevent muzzle rise. A more relaxed grip helps. Try dry firing (make sure the gun is empty and an empty magazine is in place). When you get where you can squeeze the trigger until the sear snaps and the muzzle does not dip, your groups will improve. The problem is ... with live ammo you can't tell if the muzzle dipped or not so that's why skip loading works so well. Once you actually see the muzzle dip and figure out what you have to do to prevent it, your marksmanship will be vastly improved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts