Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have gotten back into firearms after a long hiatus. She's never had much experience with handguns, but I have, and it's been a bit of an experience. I can handle just about anything recoil-wise, and it just doesn't really bother me. However, upon handing her my Kahr CM9, we found out in a hurry that recoil DOES bother her, in a pretty big way. Admittedly, I know the CM9 is going to move around more than a full-size, but I thought a 9mm loaded with standard-pressure rounds wouldn't be too much for her. WRONG!

So, needing some help! I've got NO experience with the SR9 series, but looking at all the forums and reviews I can find, looks like they may be the ticket. However, I'm concerned not just with recoil, but also the strength of the recoil springs - she can't grip the CM9 and rack the slide AT all. So, given our two other Rugers in the household (10/22, SR22), I thought I'd look into something with some similar blood in it, as it were.

I know the SR9C has a dual-spring recoil spring setup like my Kahr. Is it any harder to rack than, say, the full-size SR9? Any lady shooters out there, or anyone who is sharing their gun with one, who can help?

Thanks for all the forthcoming posts!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have let a lady friend of mine try to rack the slide of my SR9 she had difficulty doing so and I think the the SR9c is not any better. Only way to tell is visit your LGS and have her or yourself try it out.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I own a P95 and feel the recoil is really not all that bad with standard pressure loads. It is a double spring configuration and my wife and 13 year old daughter shot it and never complain about recoil and can rack the slide with no problem. I have shot the SR9 as well and it was comparable, maybe a bit more felt recoil on it than on the P95.

My suggestion, rent some guns you are interested in and see what your wife thinks. That way there is no chance of you picking something up she doesnt like.

Now if you are looking for something other than a Ruger, I will say the Berretta PX4 full size in 9mm is probably the gun that has the least amount of felt recoil I have ever shot. But it is wide and if you have any intent on CCW this would not be the one for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep it up, folks! Loving the input! Thanks for the help!!!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Okay... I know that we're on a Ruger forum, but I'm going to suggest a non-Ruger. Have you looked at the CZ75 or 85? I have a CZ75 SP-01 and the recoil is extremely light. I changed out the recoil spring and mainspring and it's as easy or easier to rack the slide as any other gun I've shot. The heavier, all-metal construction helps control muzzle rise and a good set of Hogue overmolded rubber finger groove grips will help to absorb some of the rest of it (she may also consider wearing a shooting glove, or a golf glove on her strong hand as it's making the most contact with the gun and absorbing the most recoil).

Heavier guns are heavier, but they absorb more of the energy from the rounds. Look at CZ (or Browning Hi-Power). I think you'll like their offerings. You could also consider a 9mm 1911 as well.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I think she'll love the full size SR9. I have a full size and my dad has a SR9c. My wife & I shoot my dads SR9c all the time, but we both enjoy the full size more. It has an extremely smooth recoil, is more accurate, and feels natural for us both. I replaced the recoil assembly in my SR9 a few months ago with a new one and it was stiff at first, but quickly gets lighter with a little use. I don't think she'll have any problems with it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have no 9mm but my friends have a few. Between them I've shot the XDm Compact (smaller with CCW in mind), Sig 226 (Full Size), and Glock 26 (smaller).

The Sig 226 shoots like a dream. Very little recoil. It is a rather large gun though (and very expensive, IMO).

There are just SO many choices though.

I know I'm not really being helpful...

Have you considering starting smaller (like a 22?). Cheaper, super fun, and easy on the hands.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've had a SR9 and currently have a SR9c. The slide on both are stiff but the SR9c has front serations also to me has better leverage. The smoothest racking slides to me are the S&W M&P series.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's got the SR22 (see original post) and is doing great with it. That's what got me thinking about a possible SR9/SR9C purchase. Still open to whatever will strike the best compromise, though!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I'm the MASTER of replying without reading! No worries!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Any reason to want a 9MM? Would a 38 revolver work? Many to choose from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really considered a .38! I'm a long-time wheelgun fan - but I have concerns about the recoil a small 38 might produce (thinking snubby). What do you suggest?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She'll be with me to help decide - just trying to narrow down some choices before we arrive!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why a 9mm???? There are so many options out there that have less recoil and will still fill another purpose other then using it at the range.

My LC9 has some recoil even using the factory light loads but my Sig P938 has even less felt recoil using the same loads. My 17 year old daughter loves my Sig compared to my Ruger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trying to come up with the "all-around" gun that can be used for CCW, home defense by either of us, and do enough shooting to enjoy/train. As I said, open to suggestions, but I'm of the opinion (incorrect?) that 9mm is just about the minimum for effectiveness, not to mention the fact that the ammo is the cheapest to shoot. I've never been one to spend more money on my guns than on ammo - figure if it's got enough power, I need to be good enough to put rounds on target as fast as possible, and the only way to get that proficiency is with practice - hence the "good shooter" requirement.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My wife, with absolutely no experience with handguns (other than being shot with one, *wince*) has no problem racking my SR9C.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Trying to come up with the "all-around" gun that can be used for CCW, home defense by either of us, and do enough shooting to enjoy/train. As I said, open to suggestions, but I'm of the opinion (incorrect?) that 9mm is just about the minimum for effectiveness, not to mention the fact that the ammo is the cheapest to shoot. I've never been one to spend more money on my guns than on ammo - figure if it's got enough power, I need to be good enough to put rounds on target as fast as possible, and the only way to get that proficiency is with practice - hence the "good shooter" requirement.
The reason I asked was because there are alot of 380 rounds that I sure would not want to get hit with.

I have seen vids of 380s shooting through car doors are regular distances and that was not using the full metal jacket rounds either. Seems to me they have just enough punch to get through a steel car door yet enough expansion to do lethal damage to someone if hit by one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 2 cents maybe because i have one but i don't think you could go wrong
with the SR9c it's like two guns in one. 10 round = compact
17 round = full size grip. and it eats anything i put in it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts