Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to identify some powder.
I've used Bullseye occasionally, and know what it looks like, plus I have some b&w pics. I also have some Blue Dot, so I know what that looks like. But I've never used any Red Dot, but the pic I have proves what I'm looking at is not Red Dot. I also have some 800X and the flakes are large like Unique without any holes. IMR PB is smaller and greyer with a pin hole, but not what I'm trying to ID.

What I'm trying to ID is familiar, but I can't place it.
Dark grey almost black flakes with some kernels being a very red color, about the size of Bullseye, but thicker with a pin hole in the center. Almost a very short extruded powder.

It's not Red Dot, nor any pistol powder I'm familiar with. Yet it is familiar.

Anybody got any ideas?

Joe

·
Registered
197 Posts
Joe I know you have some experience in reloading. So I hope you are trying to ID this powder just for curiosity and NOT TO USE FOR RELOADS.[:0] BE SAFE!:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
J--
Throw that crap away before you really hurt yourself.......Please.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I've only been doing this reloading thing for 35+ years.

Anyway, I have no intensions of using any more of this powder. BUT, that doesn't mean I don't want to know WHAT it is.

You see I acquired a can of Bullseye. Did the smell test, that was OK. Poured some out, looked at it, didn't see anything that looked wrong so I loaded a box of .45 Colts with it. The load shot very well. No pressure signs, nothing out of order. Tonight I was going to load another box when I saw something I hadn't seen before.
Little red kernals in the mix. At that point I grabbed my loop and adjusted the light so I could see better and there they were. Little kernals of not Bullseye mixed in with the Bullseye.
So, that can of powder is corrupted. It will get burned the 4th of July.

But I'd still like to know what's in it.

Joe

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Unless you have a way to test the burn rate anything else is just a guess, from what you have posted sounds like two or more powders got mixed by accident.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snuffy,
I believe you are correct when you said "from what you have posted sounds like two or more powders got mixed by accident." Only I don't think it was by accident.

This is the powder I'm trying to identify. Note that it is almost a very short extruded powder with tiny holes in it. You can also see the red kernals.

Here is a pic of the small pile of powder. With the naked eye you can't see much difference. But with the aid of the computer and a macro equipped camera it's easier. From examining this powder, I've begun to think it was this old guys repository for left over and pull down powders, ( he croaked, I got this from his estate). If you look real close you can see kernals that look like 231 or HP38 in the mix too. Sorry I couldn't get this picture bigger and clearer.

Joe

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I believe your right, dangthat sure could have made a mess out of your gun and you. I am glad you caught it pal. Ya know folks that don't know anything about reloading could have pour on can into another thinking well its powder its all the same and it take up less space in one can. That may work for anything but powder.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Looks like the makings of some good ole homemade firecrackers! Use to use 'em down at the pond for fishing, use some waterproof cannon fuse and white surgical tape, dipped in epoxy. It'll even stir up the gators!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.