Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends and fellow shooters!

I just got a Williams FP-71 peep sight installed on my Winchester model 1895, after shooting the rifle at the local range I discovered that my groups ended up way down and to the left. In other words I have to adjust the sight for both elevation and windage.
The question is; how do I do this? As you may see from the attached image there is a screw on top of the sight which is for adjustment of elevation, is it as simple as turning this screw in the right direction or am I mistaken? ? Or do I have to loosen additional screws to be able to do the necessary adjustments?
Any help/input from those of you with some experiences with similar sights will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
322 Posts
The top screw is for windage and the side for elevation. You also have 2 set screws so what ever setting you choose will hold under recoil. You must loosen the set screws before you can adjust the sight.

An FP graces my Marlin 1895 in .357 Mag and once set for a particular round, it holds zero very well.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The two screws on the back of horizontal bar, facing you, are locking screws and must be loosened before making adjustments. The one on the left is for elevation and the one on the right for windage. Loosen them only enough to where you get positive clicks. Retighten when done.

Before adjusting the elevation, be sure the large set screw opposite the scribe marks on the base of of the sight where it mounts to the gun is loose before making elevation adjustments. Again, just loose enough to allow the sight to move up and down in the base. Lock it when you're done.

Enjoy. Very nice sights.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to ask you if I have to turn the elevation screw on top of the sight either clockwise or counter-clockwise to be able to rise the elevation? Will the marks on the side of the sight indicate whether I am rising or lowering elevation?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The marks on the side are elevation. If in doubt about which way to turn give the screw enough turns (or clicks) to clearly see motion on the marked scale, just keep count and return to where you started. To repeat what's been said, just loosen the lock screws enough to let things move, the sight is not happy when they are loosygoosy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, according to the manufacturer´s notes on installing and adjusting the sight you have to turn the knob counter-clockwise to raise the shot and vice-versa. The same goes for adjusting for windage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts