Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys - I'm new here but not to forums. I'm hoping you gents can help me get some information on a Ruger GP-100 that's a little rare and extremely hard to get any info. on. I have an Ruger GP-100 3" ss KGP-131 model # 1708. ( 3" with adjustable rear sight ) I do have some information after researching for months. I know there are more of these models around but can't seem to locate anyone with same or any information. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching a photo of my GP.

Thanks,
RME

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
RME - Welcome to the forum from SW Florida. Cool GP! I haven't seen a 3" with standard adjustable sights. Looks like a 1988 model from the serial number. Hard to say how many were made like that but I would guess it must be somewhat scarce. I see it also has the easily removeable front sight instead of the pinned front sight like the current fixed sight 3" model.

What specifically are you looking for in the way of info? I don't know of a resource that lists production numbers of every model and variation but perhaps someone else here does.

There appears to have been several variations over the years that are no longer in production. Yours is one example and a 4" fixed sight version is another that comes to mind. Again, cool GP!

Wave

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wave, thanks for the reply, I purchased this GP new in 1990 and only found out it was an odd duck about 6 months ago. I've been trying to get info. on it since then. The factory will not give out much info. only that it left their factory in April 1989 and that they were a "special run" . Not really sure what that means. I was hoping to find someone with the same model to share info. and to help research. I would like information such as how many were produced, who were they made for, why didn't Ruger continue this model, what would be its $ value and is it of higher $ collectors value? Stuff like that.

Thanks,
RME

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
One of the distributor exclusives they run I'm guessing. Talo has some of the GP100 exclusives today but no way of telling if they did back then. I'd start with an e-mail to them.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Wave, thanks for the reply, I purchased this GP new in 1990 and only found out it was an odd duck about 6 months ago. I've been trying to get info. on it since then. The factory will not give out much info. only that it left their factory in April 1989 and that they were a "special run" . Not really sure what that means. I was hoping to find someone with the same model to share info. and to help research. I would like information such as how many were produced, who were they made for, why didn't Ruger continue this model, what would be its $ value and is it of higher $ collectors value? Stuff like that.

Thanks,
RME
RME, I checked the one and only source book I have and it lists the following from 1987 and forward under .347 magnum, SS, adjustable sights, square butt: KGP-141 4" heavy barrel full shroud; KGP-160 6" barrel short shroud; and KGP-161 6" heavy barrel full shroud. No listing of KGP-131. But then this book has only "Major Production Variations." Your number makes sense - a 131 would be a 3" heavy barrel, full shroud, adjustable sights, etc. Like terry_p said, likely a special run for a distributor such as Talo.

I've never seen a published list of production numbers for specific models (unfortunately) and Ruger doesn't seem able or willing to look that stuff up. I'm sure they have good records. Perhaps Ruger needs an in-house historian like S&W does where you can send in a request along with $50 and they will research your serial number and give you all the specifics.

The laws of supply and demand would suggest your GP is worth a premium but that's hard to put a number on. Looks like you've taken good care of it.

If it was a special run for a distributor then Ruger stopped making them because the distributor didn't order any more. In 1988 Ruger decided to distribute through a select group of distributors who would not carry S & W revolvers in its efforts to gain more market share in revolvers. If you could find out who Ruger's distributors were in 1988-1989 you might get a short list of firms to contact regarding your KGP-131 as a "distributor special". Of course, getting Ruger to divulge that info may be as difficult to get as the initial info you wanted.

Interesting project - good luck in your search.

Wave

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RME, I checked the one and only source book I have and it lists the following from 1987 and forward under .347 magnum, SS, adjustable sights, square butt: KGP-141 4" heavy barrel full shroud; KGP-160 6" barrel short shroud; and KGP-161 6" heavy barrel full shroud. No listing of KGP-131. But then this book has only "Major Production Variations." Your number makes sense - a 131 would be a 3" heavy barrel, full shroud, adjustable sights, etc. Like terry_p said, likely a special run for a distributor such as Talo.

I've never seen a published list of production numbers for specific models (unfortunately) and Ruger doesn't seem able or willing to look that stuff up. I'm sure they have good records. Perhaps Ruger needs an in-house historian like S&W does where you can send in a request along with $50 and they will research your serial number and give you all the specifics.

The laws of supply and demand would suggest your GP is worth a premium but that's hard to put a number on. Looks like you've taken good care of it.

If it was a special run for a distributor then Ruger stopped making them because the distributor didn't order any more. In 1988 Ruger decided to distribute through a select group of distributors who would not carry S & W revolvers in its efforts to gain more market share in revolvers. If you could find out who Ruger's distributors were in 1988-1989 you might get a short list of firms to contact regarding your KGP-131 as a "distributor special". Of course, getting Ruger to divulge that info may be as difficult to get as the initial info you wanted.

Interesting project - good luck in your search.

Wave
Wave, - terry_p thanks for your help, I'll try contacting some of the older distributors and see where that takes me.

RME

1 - 7 of 7 Posts