Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm searching for ideas how to carry on my chair. Because of the shape of my wheelchair, I cannot wear a traditional holster/belt system.

I have built up a holster/belt that wraps around my knee and places the pistol on my upper calf, but it is far from Ideal. It's a pretty good reach for me to get to it and I've managed to get tangled up getting in and out of doors around the range.

The sides of the wheelchair might seem great for belting it on, but I'm afraid that anything on the sides of the chair will make it impossible to get through doors without removing all it first.

If anybody has ever seen a person in a chair with a pistol holster attached someplace, I sure love to hear how they did it - a picture would be awesome, if you took one.

Thanks All!

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Just a thought. I have an under the seat tool pouch on my mountain bike. It is kinda triangular shaped, has two zippered compartments and two sturdy velcro straps. I'm sure it could strap on the inside of your chair. It does not look like a holster (that may be a plus) but it holds an LCR just fine. Good luck on your search!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have seen companies that make holsters that attch under desks or in car center consoles etc. If you contact these companies maybe they can help you. These comapnies advertise regularly in the american rifleman and american handgunner. You may also try contacting kraemer handgun leather as they have a custom shop and their work is top notch. They are not inexpensive but quality is top notch.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.

Terry, I really like the cross draw idea and have tried one rig - (UTG I think) but it got caught up in the armrests of my chair. That Miami rig really is the best I've seen. It just might be the ticket for my CC rig (if we can ever get this state into the 21st century). Using it at our range might be a issue due "sweeping" the firing lane. Practice would have to be elsewhere - thats not a problem, just a observation.

Looking at my post, perhaps I was not clear enough about what I'm looking for. Entirely my fault guys, sorry. Since we can't carry in any form here in the once great state of ILL-i-noise, I need something to use exclusively at the range/club. We can carry here on the property of the club, so what I need is something that I can slip a pistol into when nature calls and I have to leave the firing lane. Currently I have to clear the weapon and put it in a carrying case before I can make my run. If I have a holster mounted on the chair somehow, I can just holster my piece and head to the head.

Again, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.
Larry

·
Registered
633 Posts
Google "bicycle frame bag" for some ideas. Maybe you could use something similar with the loop portion of Velcro secured to the chair frame, then just secure the hook portion to the backside of a holster. You might even be able to get a generic fit holster with a thumbreak to keep it secure and not have to change it out depending upon which pistol you are using at the time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Stargeezer,
If you are looking for concealed carry, I have found that a fanny pack works best for me. We have to consider the high probability of being separated from our chair during a violent encounter. Because of this I prefer to keep my gun attached to my person. I also have found that practicing shooting from uncomfortable positions on the ground has done a lot to improve my confidence. It's amazing how difficult it is to shoot while laying on your dominant arm and shooting with your weak hand or shooting down the length of your body without shooting yourself in the foot.

If you do want something attached to your chair, try looking over at Scott Works. Wheelchair Accessories By Scott Works I haven't been to his sight recently but he does have a holster mount and a pouch for CC that he sells for chairs.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jeff!

A LGS had a SR1911 a couple weeks ago, I'll be checking with them on Monday about availability for you. If they say yes, I'll PM you at once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Stargeezer,

I am in a wheelchair, (double amputee above the knee), and I use a belly belt.
My waist band of my pants helps keep it in place and my shirt covers it.
I wear it on my left so I can cross draw w/o any problems.
I have a Glock 27 in .40. No one ever can tell I have it.
Hope you find something that works for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wheelchair Carry

comp-tac.com/wheelchair-holster-all-kdyex-holster-body-two-clamp-mount-for-attachment/

scotworksllc.com/concealedpouch.html]Concealed Carry Pouch For Gun Holster Mounting Bracket On Wheelchairs

Are Two site that have Holsters for Wheelchair

·
Registered
889 Posts
How about a center of chest holster?I've seen some but don't know the brands, used for woods and trail walking. My wife needs one also ,she is a T10 paraplegic. No where else for her to carry, would only be for in the house when she is by herself.I also would like to hear any suggestions.

·
Registered
950 Posts
How about a center of chest holster?I've seen some but don't know the brands, used for woods and trail walking. My wife needs one also ,she is a T10 paraplegic. No where else for her to carry, would only be for in the house when she is by herself.I also would like to hear any suggestions.
That's what I was thinking. I have the Simply Rugged pancake holster with their Chesty Puller harness.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts