Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to put an adjustable sight Match Champion on long term layaway.......

I had thought......get the gun, and have it rechambered to shoot 9mm Para- .38 Super by Pinnacle......the gun looks like the perfect candidate for this, plus the adjustable sights will let me "dial it in" for the differences. I have a 9mm Blackhawk on the way but have always had a strange interest in .38 Super..........

What do you all think? Or would this project be better pursued in a 4" GP100 I already have?

Or not pursued at all?

The work is pricey at over $300, I can just send him the cylinder, I'm sure many of you are familiar with this modification. TK Custom also does it.

I would then have a local jeweler nicely engrave "9 Para - .38 Super" on the topstrap.

I have so much in .38 and .357, and little to no interest in more auto chuckers, so this seems like a great idea to add some "variety" to my shooting world......

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm, I guess I'd vote for using a 4" GP you already have. Unless you just have $1000 burning a hole in your pocket. :D

But either way, I strongly support you doing this. Because as soon as you do, Ruger will come out with a 9mm GP or SP reissue the next month for the rest of us. :cool:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they absolutely will:) lol

I plan to sell two CZ's to help fund all this, decided I'd be much happier with the revolvers than the autos.

That's how you can guarantee a new "model" from Ruger, when I buy the "alternative" or modify what I have, then it will come out:)

I was actually "haggling" with a dealer for a .45 LC Redhawk trade deal, it fell through, I had planned to have the .45 LC Redhawk cut for .45 ACP.......I then traded the two guns I had on the chopping block for a .45 ACP Vaquero Birdshead (which I love), this all happened the month before the .45 ACP Redhawks were announced......

The day after I get a Match Champion and send the cylinder to Pinnacle Ruger will announce a 9mm Match Champion......

Also, looking at a Clements 10mm GP100 conversion, if I put the deposit down, Ruger will announce a 10mm GP100, just you wait, you heard it here first lol

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Sounds like a couple of cool projects. Whether or not to use a MC vs a standard 4" is personal decision. The MC is more unique and re-chambering it makes it even more so. Obviously requires more $$ vs using the 4" you already have or finding another used gun for the project. I've managed to locate a few 4" SS GP100s for under $400 for projects so they're out there if you look hard enough.

One such project GP100 was priced at $300 because it had some pitting in the surface. That was the one I cut to 2.6" and poured a lot of hand work into. I used the cheap pitted gun because I didn't know how it would turn out and I didn't want to butcher a nice example. Well it turned out fine but some of the pitting is still visible so in hindsight I wish I had started with a nicer looking gun! So there's nothing wrong with taking a nice new gun and making major mods to it. It's your gun and you'll be the one to enjoy it.

I'll be very interested to see how your projects progress - keep us updated. Photos are always nice...

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I'm working on selling at least my CZ75 .40 DAO, since I have no real attachment to it and with a P944 DAO (and not being an auto guy) it seems redundant. I can own 10 beater examples of the .38 Service Six and be happy but I have no need to have "duplicate" auto chuckers to fill the same role.....between two full size .40's, the CZ will go, the Ruger will stay. I bought the CZ on an impulse and it is a great gun but never really grabbed me and has turned into a dust magnet. I like my P944 DAO:)

I have both a local dealer who will let me make payments on a target sight Match Champion, and I've been using them for years so they won't "burn" me if my payment is a day late or something. I need a target sight model for this conversion, seems like a better option.

I am also working on the beginnings of a 10mm GP100, if Clements still does them. I got the "bug" last night to have it done with a TALO 6" unfluted GP100, since I want one anyway......if Clements stopped taking work I'll have a cool new .357 GP100, if they are still doing the 10mm GP's, then I think the unfluted 6" GP100 will be absolutely BAD azz in 10mm. I can swing the $150 down and last I heard he's a year or more backlogged, so I'll pay the rest off in 2016 I guess.....it would mildly suck to get a brand new GP and then be without it for a year but the end result is worth it. I'm already thinking a Gemini front sight and some different grips would top it off.

I have a dealer who's mildly interested in a trade for my S&W 581 and a Taurus 80 but I don't think he'll go for it once I tell him the 581 isn't mint. Still, a 100% mechanically solid 581 with "cop wear" still brings $550-600 in these parts, due to the relative rarity.....with the Taurus 80 being a $200 range blaster, so the guy would still be making $100+ over his $650 price for the GP100. If it came down to it, I wouldn't miss the 581, it's not like it's a gun I grew up shooting with my Dad or something, it's just a gun I picked up on GunBroker a while back, no real attachment.

Still, in my quest for 2 real cool guns, sacrifices must be made and some guns must be sold/traded.
I lost my taste for owning bunches of S&W's, I hardly shoot them anymore. There's a few I'm keeping for "cool" factor like my early 70's Model 29, and my NYPD 64-5 DAO. My two 10's are staying, because everyone needs a couple S&W 10's, and my old M&P made in 1919 isn't going anywhere. If I want to look at S&W's "Cadillac" I can look at my Dad's 1989 production 6" 586 that hasn't been fired in 20 years. My S&W's to me, are pretty much safe queens and guns I keep just to have examples of them, I can never be without a few older Smiths. All of my "new gen" Smiths, as good shooters as they were, have been traded off for new Rugers.

I can't bring myself to let my CZ85 9mm go, I've had it for 10 years and had some good times with that gun, it's not worth $400-450 to part with it. I can dig up other stuff I've hardly used that can go first.

Hopefully soon all this starts coming together, I'm pretty excited actually, and if I do it right I can do it all with very little "out of pocket", it will all be funded through trades and sales of guns I already own and never formed any attachment to.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
You are a man with a plan. Sounds like a good one and hats off for your fiscal responsibility. I do the same thing too - take inventory, realize the stuff you bought and have little interest in now and no attachment to and off to Gun Broker they go. Unfortunately I seem to buy two for every one I sell so I never quite thin the herd as much as I like to think I am. Too many guns I want!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Personally I would not do it mainly because I have little interest in the 9mm. Nothing wrong with it but just not for this old guy. All that being said if that is your interest go for it. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I guess I really never under stood the 9mm thing in a revolver either. 9mm not really the same size barrel diameter as the 38/357. Why take a auto round for a revolver. It really does not make since to me ?
Not knocking it just me my self can't see it. Even accuracy would suffer would it not ?

The 38 Super I do understand

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm with twodogmax and jstanfield103 on this one. I love the 9mm in semi-auto but just never could see the purpose in a revolver. However, variety is the spice of life, so if this appeals to you that's great.:)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm more interested in the .38 Super aspect of the project, with the 9mm Para being able to be fired being a "perk". I already have a 9mm Blackhawk waiting at my dealer that I hope is a good one, and will be my "range fun" gun.

I don't have any experience with .38 Super, the closest I've come to working with this round was a Star B I had in 9mm Largo.......

The .38 Super is a "semi rimmed" case so it MAY even work in the altered cylinder without moonclips, but that's not really an issue since I plan to use the clips.

All my attempts to "thin the herd" don't usually work......I never really "sell" I just replace:)

The 10mm GP100 project is pretty exciting too, after I get done with these guns I'll have to find a way to get into some "gun games" and find a range that has them.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK here's an update......

I have a GP100 that is nearly new, that I've had for a few years, a 4" stainless target sight .357......this one is having the cylinder sent to Pinnacle for the .38 Super - 9mm treatment.......I'm going to keep it pretty much "standard" looking.......Lett grips, red insert sight, spring job etc. If it pops hard 9mm primers like WWB then I'm keeping the ISMI springs in it. If not, then the stock springs will go back.

I am about to ship out a used S&W 581 and two Taurus 80's, in a trade for a TALO 6" unfluted GP100...........THIS will be the 10mm conversion gun, since Clement's is about 13+ months back with work on these and they wait until they get a few of them in, to send the barrels to get re-bored. I can put $150 down on the work now, and then just wait......

Debating whether to have the barrel taken down to 4" by Clements or leave it a 6"........

Clements won't do the 10mm conversion on Match Champions, they say the tapered cylinder doesn't leave enough metal for the 10mm rechamber.

Clements also does a .40 S&W only rechamber, for those who want a .40 revolver, so they can shoot .40 without clips if need be, but obviously most people opt for the 10mm so they can shoot both.

I'm thinking a .40 conversion would be neat for a fixed sight GP, of course this would be down the road quite a bit.......

Some people may think this is "ruining" good factory GP100's, however, when the work is done by masters like Mark at Pinnacle or Clements, I believe it enhances the gun, both in "intrinsic" and monetary value.......vs. having a local shade tree gunsmith do the job, which yes, would be destroying any value of the gun if not done right. Kind of like having Jesse James work on your motorcycle, or the garage down the street......

·
Banned
650 Posts
I had a 38 super 1911 for a while. It was good reliable gun. I did have ammo problems you can buy FMJ cheap and easy but SD ammo is hard to come by and the price makes you shake the boxes to see if any gold nuggets fall out. If I wanted to take up reloading pistol ammo I would have kept the 38 super 1911. I had no problems selling the gun...selling a 38 super revolver is going into uncharted territory.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I plan on keeping, and shooting the hell out of both of them:)

The main advantage is I can use 9mm Para and .40 in them too, which is what I will primarily shoot just for range fun.

I love my .38's and .357's but just need something different.

Pinnacle will do just a 9mm conversion but you have to use clips regardless since the chambers were .357, so if I have to use clips might as well have him do the .38 Super - 9mm conversion.

As a side note it also chambers 9x23 but that's not something I really care all too much about.......

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Sounds good to me. I hope Clements will let you send in the gun later so you can shoot in 357 until the conversion. Might help you decide on the 4" vs 6". That would suck to get a special edition and not even see it for over a year.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The more I look at the pic of the TALO 6" GP100, and as I get ready to pack up the trade guns to ship out for the GP100.........the more I think I may just keep it as a .357........I sat down today and looked at the pic of my soon to be mine GP, with that unfluted cylinder, and I knew, once I get that in my hands, I'm not gonna want to alter it........it just looks like it "needs" to be a .357.......and it would be tough for me to send a limited edition, perfectly good .357 GP in for "surgery"......

So, where I'm at now, as I "refine" my ideas......

As soon as financially possible, the cylinder of my one 4" GP is going to Pinnacle for the .38 Super - 9 Para conversion, I'm gonna start there and I should have that back quickly......since a 9mm GP100 is a priority for me, so I can start shooting it at the range using my favorite type of gun and one of my favorite range rounds......

And, now I want to have the 10mm conversion done on a 1751 3" .38 GP100, I'll have to get another one, since I'm not having the 1751 I already have altered, no way.......but the 1751's are out there for $500 since demand is low, and some used ones are starting to turn up, and more will as the 1708 .357 is now available, people are gonna be hocking the 1751's they bought 2 years ago...........I think a 3" GP would be an awesome little package in 10mm......plus I'll have the ability to have Clements put a Bowen rear sight on it.

Always an excuse to buy a new gun and stay broke:)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I told myself I need another .357 like I need a hole in the head but that TALO with the unfluted cylinder is just too cool looking, not to get one.......now to decide if I want to use the XS standard dot sights I have or go with a fiber optic like a Gemini or Dawson.......tough choice

I'm a sucker for unfluted cylinders, years ago I fought off the urge to get one of those S&W PC 686's with the unfluted cylinder.....

I wanted a 6" stainless GP100 anyway, but had been putting it off, problem solved:)

I don't care about the "ballistic loss" of 10mm or .40 in a 3" barrel, it's gonna be just plain cool to shoot:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts