Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the goal with optics is to get the scope as low as possible without touching the rifle. I have a need for close up (PB) and far away (100yds) shooting (I am also a good candidate for bifocals) and thought the see through rings would be the ticket.

Any opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of them would be appreciated. Any product endorsements would be beneficial as well.

Rifle is a 10/22 carbine, stainless. I'll consult the 10/22 optics thread about advice for the scope. I just need advice about the see through rings for now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I personally dislike them but I couldn't get used to how I had to hold my head in relation to the rifle in order to use the scope. I'm sure that getting used to the rings may have changed my opinion but I took them off and got rid of them before I got used to them.

I will say that I saw one of the gun shows on TV recently (forgive me, I can't remember then name of the one I saw) where they used rail systems at angles on a firearm for different sight systems for the situation you describe. One rail had optics for long distance and the second rail had something for closer range. You just had to tilt the gun about 45 degrees to use the second set of sights. Of course, that wouldn't work on a 10/22 like mine, I have the International with the full length stock and a rail system would ruin the looks.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I intensely dislike them. They violate the principle of proper shooting form that says get a good cheek weld and snug into your rifle, not just for the sake of consistent and accurate shooting, but also for comfortable shooting with heavy recoiling cartridges. Recoil, of course, is not an issue, here, but since many of us use a 10/22 a lot, it's a habit you don't want to carry over to your big rifles.

On a 10/22, in particular, see-thrus are a poor choice, because a 10/22 is already stocked low for use with iron sights. Putting a scope on it, even with low mounts, puts your head up a little higher than I like. See thru mounts just exaggerate an already mediocre situation.

I know some folks like them and I'll admit, that if hunting in the rain or snow, where your scope is out of action, see thru mounts can save the day, but you can also use a red dot in those situations with no adverse effects. All in all, to those folks who like 'em, have at it. None of my business how you set up a rifle. Me, no way.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Okay, did I mention that I don't like see thrus? LOL

Seriously, though, an option that has worked miracles for me in your situation with my 10/22 and Charger is a riflescope with a ballistic reticle, such as the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC. This reticle setup gives you several aiming points so you can instantly switch back and forth between close range and long range. The Nikon BDC is also supported by the excellent Nikon Spot On website, which will tell you exactly how to use your BDC reticle. I can now shoot my 10/22 and Charger at just about any range I want without worrying about holdover or hold under. Great setup for shooting back and forth between close and long range.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have see through rings on my .30-06 pump. While I don't hate them, I'm not in love, either. For every time I use the scope it seems there's a corresponding time where I encounter a buck at almost point blank range & need fast, close acquisition. This solution has been serviceable, but not ideal. I'd say there's no harm in giving the open rings a try -- they're cheap, & some folks love 'em -- but don't expect too much.

I will vouch for the Nikon Prostaff BDC, however. Great optics, & can take a relative beating w/out losing zero. All-in-all excellent value for the money.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Nuff said about proper cheek weld.
25 yard zero for most 22s yields about a 7" drop at 100 and should be very adequate
at 50 for hunting ( not precise target shooting ) then again you don't have a target rifle.
If your shooting is the type that you have a chance to think about things ( a little time )
then learn the proper come ups for your scope.
22 set up for 25 yard dead on hold with 1/4 Min. scope adjustments = 28 clicks up.
Yours may be a little different depending on the reliability quality and the accuracy of each scope. Also if it's a front or rear focal plain, they are different as to how they present the image in the scope in relation to how it effects the size of the cross hair during power change.
As Country girl said ( good advise ) look into the ballistic reticle set up for 22LR
and stay with the same ammo.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I would rather use a lower power than see thru rings. A 1x4 or such gives me all the magnification I need but also gives enough field of view at its lowest setting.

That is pretty much where I ended up only with a 2-7x28 mm...

For a while I was going back/forth with peep sights and bigger scope and removing/adding half-right cheek rests for both...

I agree 100% with the others on the cheek rest...actually put a ton of effort into perfecting mine and not sorry I did...it is sloped so I can swap out scope for rail mounted peep sight easily...the peep and scope are ALMOST the same eye-level which is the only reason the sloped cheek rest works for both...it is set perfect for the scope and passable for the peep...since I like the scope for all things and just always want a "battle sight" option for it that is pretty much how it will be...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Using the Cleckner method this is how mine came out (so far actually a work in progress still) but at least you get an idea of how high the cheek rest would need to be for a scope mounted a lot higher...this one is extremely close to being level with the center of the bore and scope eye level is approximately 1-1/4" above the center of the bore...all numbers are ball bark but reasonably close for general reference...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see the light! Amazing how I was going one way with this and now I am thinking a completely different direction. Looks like with the correct optic and the proper setup and installation, you will never need to change your head position. With see through rings, no proper cheek rest is obtained in using the see through or the scope.

The video was very good. It made me think of everything I did wrong setting up my air rifle. I'll fix that first and move on to the .22.

The ballistic reticle looks like the ticket for me. Thanks everybody for the education. This saved me a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thru hole scope mount on 10/22

My next door neighbor bought my 10/22 and my bull BBl Mk 2. He uses the rifle to squirrel hunt with and cursed me ten ways to Sunday because the scope was so high. He only shoots at their heads and the higher the scope, the greater the built in error. I didn't believe him at first, but he bet me he could prove it. I lost and had to pay for new scope rings. Last week, he killed 6 squirrels, all with a head shot at about55-70 yards using Rem Hi vel. He got one squirrel in the neck, but it is only because he was running at the time. JD is a great shot even at 67 years old. The scope is a walmart cheapo 3-9 zoom. I'm visually impaired and wear tri-focals so I don't even shoot without a scope. I still cant get him to sell the Mk II back to me. I was broke and needed a truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.