Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iF I make my AOL/COL less, 1.169 down to 1.150 will that increase or decrease my chamber pressure for 9mm. I'm loading 147gr plated bullets. thank for your help. TOMD1943

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
TOMD1943, Anytime you seat a bullet deeper in any cartridge, chamber pressure will increase. The amount of increase will depend on three factors ... case capacity, the smaller the case the more pressure will increase; bullet weight, the heavier the bullet, the more pressure will increase; and bullet diameter where the smaller the diameter, the more pressure will increase.

For your 9mm load, you have a very small capacity case with a small diameter bullet and you are using a very heavy bullet for that cartridge. These three factors combined will raise chamber pressure dramatically ... very possibly to dangerous levels. Always use the recommended seating depth for your exact bullet!

AOL is an Internet service. OAL means "overall length", however no one ever accused gun folks of having command of the English language. It should be "OL" because overall is just one word. COL is a more correct term ... "cartridge overall length". Just though I would toss that in for grins ... no offence intended.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOWEGAN, just looking for advice so no offence taken. I tryed your load of 3.8grs of titegroup at COL 1.169. very snappy but very good. I was shooting bowling pins at the indoor range an went 5 for 5 with that load after testing 10 rounds on paper. did not see any thing bad with the primers or case. they did eject very well. do not know how to post pics but the 10 shot group was around 2 inches at 10yrds. very good for me. I will look into some power pistol powder next. thanks for the info. TOMD1943

1 - 3 of 3 Posts