Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My collection has grown greatly in the last few years and there are a few that didn't work out or duplicate other needs. So I'm in the position of needing to sell a few guns, but I'm not really experienced on how to go about that. In the past I've just sold to friends or family, but in this case they aren't interested.

As with a lot of stuff, I assume a private sale will get me the most return. I'm in the process of trying that with a pistol on the local state Armslist. So far that isn't really generating much interest. Gunbroker is another option, but that's a more complicated thing to deal with so I'd rather avoid that hassle.

Which leads me to the trade-in option. In this particular case I'm thinking of using the gun I'm selling to mostly pay for a gun I want. What can I expect from a FFL in that situation? 50%? Or would it be less?

Just looking for general advice, I guess.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Probably 60%. Why don't you look for a gun trading or outdoor sporting goods trading facebook page for your state. It works similar to armslist, but they are usually much more popular.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Any time I have explored a trade-in option on a new gun, the dealer has made an insulting offer, if any. Perhaps that is just geographic, however. On the other hand, I have had great success on Gunbroker and I did not find the procedure to be overly complicated. Just be prepared for the added expense of either paying ridiculous shipping fees to your buyer's FFL [USPS will not handle firearms for private citizens] or engage the services of your own FFL to handle shipping for you.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Any time I have explored a trade-in option on a new gun, the dealer has made an insulting offer, if any. Perhaps that is just geographic, however. On the other hand, I have had great success on Gunbroker and I did not find the procedure to be overly complicated. Just be prepared for the added expense of either paying ridiculous shipping fees to your buyer's FFL [USPS will not handle firearms for private citizens] or engage the services of your own FFL to handle shipping for you.
Yeah, I've had very good success on gunbroker too. It only seems complicated, but is actually pretty easy. I managed to sell a used handgun for more than I had paid for it new. Just make sure you take good pictures and write a good description about the gun. Most of the time I use gunbroker to buy stuff though.

Those local facebook groups are usually a lot more active than armslist though. Can't hurt to try and find ones in your area.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Local gun show might be an option - which can include selling to other attendees - or making a trade with a a seller at the show, especially if you happen across a private seller with a table who has something you are interested in. If you are only looking for cash that may not help - but if you can add something to your collection that is worth more to you than what you are trading away that could be good. Or perhaps at least you could trade for something which will be easier to sell.
I had a firearm which I bought used at a decent price but decided it just didn't suit me and I tried to sell it - had a couple interested parties that didn't work out - I traded it at a gun show for what the other guy thought was a deal - and it was from his perspective - but I got out of it exactly what I put into it - and though I had to add some cash - in the end I have a new Ruger SR1911 Commander instead of a used Glock 30.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I've sold a couple via Gunbroker and it is actually pretty easy. Just communicate with the buyer.
One thing I have learned is that I have had to give a little to make a deal. Look at the prices of new guns and make a price that is fair for both parties. Too many people think their used guns are worth what new ones cost.
Just remember the buyer has to pay shipping AND a transfer fee when using Gunbroker and you'll probably pay a transfer fee too. A $400 gun is all the sudden $460 for the buyer. You will have cost of the gun minus your transfer. That needs to be accounted for.
I would always recommend trying to sell outright instead of trading at your LGS. Mine only gives about 50%. Even if you give someone else a good deal you'll be better off.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I rarely sell one,, but I found an LGS that will take a gun on consignment, charge me 10 to 15%, and they handle ALL the headaches. I DONT want people coming to my home, or even knowing where I live for that matter. Seems like you always run into some real scum bags, and there are cases where the potential buyer is only there to come back and rob you later. And cases where they also advertise rare collector guns for cheap prices, then rob the buyer when they show up to buy the gun.
So its not worth all the potential trouble for 10 or 15%. The shop can deal with the scumbags, back round checks, etc, and they always seem to get top dollar anyway,, so your really not loosing much in the end. No burnt gas meeting window shoppers, no postage fee's, etc. NO HEADACHES. No legal issues. Much safer IMHO, if you can find a similar arrangement.

Ive never sold on the online gunbroker route,, so cant comment on that.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
All I can say is NEVER deal with a pawn shop. They will give you an insulting offer, then mark the gun up for almost what it's worth new.

Pawn shop owners in my mind are like lawyers.. Bottom feeders.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I haven't used my LGS yet but I'm thinking about it. Their cut is 10% or $50 whichever is higher so you have to weigh that into the selling price.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have used armslist for several years and all the times have been good ot very good. They also do no charge a fee like gun broker.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Around here, guns don't stay long in the Classifieds of the Newspaper, and other local classified type publications.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree, try here on the Forum, never know what folks may be interested in, some folks just like "deals"...NO, the shops will tend to give you the 60% as noted above, pawn shops WORSE.........friends, family, word of mouth, post it on the bulletin board of your local gun club......, we are lucky here in Ohio , we have quite a few gun shows, then the last resort is "On line" through a auction site and transfer through and to any FFL, wait till ANY funds clear before you send it off....good luck

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
[USPS will not handle firearms for private citizens]
I have sold more then a few gun online and USPS has shipped everyone of them with no issues at all. USPS will ship long guns only, handguns must be shipped UPS overnight or go through your FFL and have them ship it.

FFL will give you approximately 50% of the value of the gun in the condition that they put it in. You may think that the gun is 95% they feel it is 85% you will get half the 85% price. Remember that they need to take the gun in service it if needed and then sell it for more then they took it in for to make a profit and they know that we as gun buyers will attempt to talk them down some.

Your best bet is to sell it yourself to get the highest price.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To update, I do have a couple of local prospects I'm waiting on but the Armslist experience is proving to be pretty poor. I've gotten three responses so far, and the first two never replied after my first response (which was that the gun was still available.) So much for any civility.

Hopefully the local prospects work out, one of which is someone I know and would feel comfortable selling to.

·
Registered
696 Posts
you can always set up a "meet" in a very public place, NO need to have everyone and anyone coming to your home and looking around to see what else you have , I tell folks to bring a friend, buddy, back up, whatever....you see how many rip offs on places such as craigs list ?? wow ,scary thought....everyday folks are getting robbed..............

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have an LGS that will not take trades. I had the opportunity to talk with him about it one day when the staff was busy with other things in far corners of the store.

He hemmed and hawed then finally admitted he really didn't understand how to take a gun in trade!

Years ago I was in the marine trades as a manufacturers rep and I can't count the times I had to sit a dealer down and explain how to do a trade!

I explained quickly how it works and told him I would be happy to sit down and go over a trade as many times as necessary with him.

Taking trades, whether it cars, boats, guns or airplanes is nothing more than knowing your market and your product!

We used to have a gun dealer that knew his stuff and would take your trade and when you walked out with the new gun you didn't feel like you had been screwed. I did a lot of business with him over the years until he, sadly, passed away suddenly about 15 years ago.

Most dealer would be wise to talk with a car dealer about how to do a trade, it's all a mater of scale.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
What are you selling? And, why not try the classifieds here?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts