Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a Ruger semi auto pistol for CCW. I have a 4 inch GP100 MC that I enjoy shooting and don't have problems with the 357 recoil but a bit too large for me to hide. I have a PC40 so a SR40C would be a good addition but I am not sure about the recoil of a 40. How does the SR40 compare in felt recoil to my GP100. Is the 9mm closer to the 357?

·
Registered
332 Posts
How does the SR40 compare in felt recoil to my GP100. Is the 9mm closer to the 357?
In my opinion you'll find the perceived recoil of the SR40C less than the .357. If it were me I'd go with the SR9 or SR9C ...but that's just my personal preference. Dunno if you've heard about it or not but the FBI has recently gone back to the 9mm as the standard issue. Then too, the 9mm ammo is generally cheaper and more readily available. Like most people I can shoot the 9mm better and reacquire the target quicker ... plus you have more firepower in any given pistol with the 9mm. Bottom line, there's for every plus with the .40 there's a negative.

But hey ... if the.40 cal is your preference, go go it. Don't let me talk you out of something you want. The .40 is a nice round. I'm just voicing my personal experience/opinion.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
For personal protection I'd pick the ammo first then work around that.

Yes, 9mm is pretty cheap and available for practice ammo but if you think that's not the right choice for protection then what does it matter?

As far as concealment, I've carried a 4" GP and I don't think it's any more difficult than a full size duty pistol in 9mm or 40.

If you're going to really try to hide a gun then you're into small(er) guns. For personal defense, yes there IS a recoil difference between 9mm and 40. Yes it IS noticeable.

But, if you're used to 357M all day, I would say you can handle .40, in a properly setup pistol, just fine. Pay close attention to the grip and bore axis for felt recoil as you'll want to practice a lot. But again, if you're able to handle 357M easily then a .40 shouldn't present any major challenges if that's your choice.

The GP grip has comfort as a higher priority than concealment. The SR40/9 has concealment as the higher priority (notice the flat sides) and being a cast plastic grip there's not much you can do about it, unlike the GP.

The standard SR40/9 are duty size weapons too. So there are no clear cut answers. But it's a fun journey anyway!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have both the SR40C and the SR9C and for me there isn't much difference in the recoil. I held off on getting the 40 because of people saying how snappy they are. To me this is not the case . Get the 40 you won't be sorry .

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I have never shot a semi, so I am sure that there will be a learning curve with whichever I choose.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I might get kicked off the board for saying this, but my first and so far only semi is a Glock 19 9mm - great place to start - finish even.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Just reverse everything Trucker said and you'll have my post. :)

I carry an all-steel, compact .40SW and find the recoil negligible. But. if you get into the smaller, polymer models, you may find the recoil a bit harsh compared to your 4 inch .357 (that's a pretty sweet shooter). So see if you can shoot a few and see what you think. Our opinions are gonna tend to contradict each other and what you discover is what counts most.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam, which compact 40 do you have. I love our Rugars but might consider something else. We don't have many rental ranges around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some good advice has already been given here, thankfully nobody got crazy with caliber opinions. Asking which caliber is best is like asking a motorhead which oil is best...you may get a lot of very strong opinions.

The best caliber, IMO, is the biggest one you can shoot comfortably. If you plan to shoot your new semi a lot, then 9mm prices are definitely worth considering. Of course the best way to figure it out is to rent or borrow the ones you're thinking about. Nothing better than actually trying out the guns that catch your eye.

Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some good advice has already been given here, thankfully nobody got crazy with caliber opinions. Asking which caliber is best is like asking a motorhead which oil is best...you may get a lot of very strong opinions.

The best caliber, IMO, is the biggest one you can shoot comfortably. If you plan to shoot your new semi a lot, then 9mm prices are definitely worth considering. Of course the best way to figure it out is to rent or borrow the ones you're thinking about. Nothing better than actually trying out the guns that catch your eye.

Good luck!
I agree on getting great advice here. Living in NY, borrow is not an option, unless I run into someone at the range with the guns I am considering.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well in Florida it's so hot and humid clothing is almost optional so I carry a LC9s Pro but when the temp drops to a freezing F75° I switch to my Glock 23 so clothing density determines my carry caliber. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thanks all. I have never shot a semi, so I am sure that there will be a learning curve with whichever I choose.
Included in that learning curve might be your grip. Remember, if your grip includes your support hand thumb folded over your grip hand thumb [i.e., directly behind the slide], you might want to start breaking that habit before actually going to the range. However, if you forget, the gun will remind you. ;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
My SR9c recoils much less than my 4" gp100 .357, even with hot 9mm loads. A great pistol to shoot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts