Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, I am planning out some post-Christmas shopping for myself and I was hoping some of you might share your thoughts on a couple of things. First, I think I'm in the market for a shoulder rig. I have taken to early morning walks, and we live in a very rural part of town, so there is a chance of meeting up with a four legged problem. Anyway, I usually carry a GP-100 or a .45 ACP 1911. Both of which tend to drag the jeans down on my hips a bit further than I would like and make for a bit of distraction while fast walking. Any thoughts on good shoulder rig, or what I should look for in a rig?

Second, both of my carry guns are taking a bit of a beating from yard work, and cutting wood etc... So I'm looking locally at two different used guns to carry as "knock around" pieces. The first is a 4 inch security six, rated at 95% and reblued to a nice dark matte black finish for $260. The other is a 4 inch Smith and Wesson 66-2, in Stainless with a set of nice Hogue grips for $375. Any thoughts on either of these guns?

Thank you all for your thoughts I appreciate them.

-Hammer

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
1st recomendation is keep it simple. How about just adding a good ole' set of regular suspenders? If not enough, then go to the army surplus store and pick up a cheap set of load bearing "Y" suspenders to help keep the pants up.

Nylon shoulder rigs are much cheaper than leather but they will also "fray" your shirt in very short order from the rubbing and friction. Without a good set of tie-downs it will also be a floppin.

If concealment is not a consideration, what i really like and recommend is the army surplus inexpensive harness with the addition of a web belt. Or of course you can go with something new like this

from www.blackhawk.com This is similar to the rig i used with the bianchi UM84 holster.

I have experience with the s&w 66 and they are fine weapons but i've seen a lot of "loose" ones. The older smiths seem to be bringing a lot more now-a-days and the prices are reflecting it. I've always considered ruger firearms some of the best sleepers there are out there. While i do not currently own a "six" series, i am sold on ruger quality and strength. Over a lot of years i have seen colts and smiths lose their timeing. Still have not seen a ruger lose its timeing or shoot loose. I'm about to get my security six in a week and i'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good heavy belt (Don Hume)...shoulder rigs are like wearing a bra with rocks in it...just can't be comfortable...having just gotten rid of my M65 3" SS, the only .357 I'd buy will be the SpeedSix, either in 2 3/4" or 4"...only in stainless...I'd turn down a Python for one...I am looking for a M64 2" Round Butt...38---almost bought a 4" Sq. butt today and got it "rounded"---may still do that...for the work you describe, sights are not a major issue....and keep a tally on the cats you kill...I offer a generous bounty of .04 per ear...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
uh-oh....
not a puty-cat hater!!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
hammer, I have a Uncle Mike's Side Kick that I wear every once-in--while. It's nylon & has a pretty good tie down system. It's comfortable enough & is easy to use.
Uh, sheepdog...............why do you know what weaing a bra feels like[?] :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Deputy125: No holes in the belt to stick my black leather holster with "US" on the flap? No brass twist clasp? Nylon instead of canvas? No good place on the strap to hang your flashlight? That looks much to comfortable to be real LBE. Not a bad idea, though.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yes sir, i agree, as i said similar to what i had. Mine was pieced together from the surplus store with a web belt.
Most officers become gear junkies and blackhawk is a favorite "fix".

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd try Carhart(sp?)makers of workwear...Dickies, Big Smith, and Tractor Supply-a chain of farm/ranch supply stores...I can still see the suspenders that my Grandpa wore-real leather and elastic...good clasps...things were made to last then....also Google suspenders...betcha you can find some good ones.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts