Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to reload and shoot a lot when I worked nights. Since I moved from my old place and switched to a day job, all that has suffered. I used to think I was a pretty accomplished reloader, but you can forget a lot when you don't do something for years. Back then I had an FFL and was able to buy my reloading supplies cheaper. I have some old reloading equipment that has been in moth balls for 15 to 20 years.

I've got some new P-Series Rugers and would like to get some rounds through them. Since I have quite a bit a brass collected, I could start reloading for the .45 ACP pretty easily. I don't have any dies for the .40 S&W or 9 mm and I don't know if it's cost effective to reload them. Wally World is a pretty cheap source for 9mm - probably about as cheap as I could reload them. It's been years since I bought any powder, primers or bullets. I'm sure that they, like everything else, have sky-rocketed in price. I used to cast most of my bullets for the .45 Colt, .45 ACP, 44 Mag and .38/357, but I don't have the ambition to do that any more. Does anyone have a good source for cast SWC's that don't cost an arm, 2 legs, your first-born child + shipping and handling? Any suggestions on whether or not it's worth it to load the 9's and 40's? I realize that half of the reason for reloading is self-satisfaction and the ability to customize loads for a specific gun. I'm just looking at raw material cost - my labor isn't worth much any more!
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rman, I load for .45 colt and use LP 300 primer [about 20$ a thousand] Oregon trail laser cast 250 gr flat point round nose [ about 35 $ per 500 box at Sportsman warehouse]and blue dot [about 15$ pound]. I buy all that at Sportsman warehouse. Went down to Baker city, Ore. about 2 months ago to the Oregon Trail factory and bought a whole bunch at a good price as there was no shipping or any other mark up on it. Still had to pay a premium for the gas checks [310 wnfp] and 405 wnfp- about 15 $ per 50 count. The .45 colt cost about six dollars a box of 50 to reload. The 310 gr was for .444 Marlin and the 405 gr was for 45-70. I use the gas checks for a hotter load in my rifles. The hard cast laser cast is fairly hot at about 1000 fps. They guaranty them not to lead.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They sell them at Midway, Cabela, Sportsman whouse. I forgot to mention they have the lasercast in a variety of weighte in semi wad cutter for .45 acp

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help White dog. I have a Cabelas about 60 miles away and I just found out we have a Sportsmans Warehouse in Wichita. That's about a two and half hour drive. I'll have to check them out.

·
Registered
842 Posts
rman,I try to buy primers, powder and bullets locally but some things a bit hard to find without driving 40 or 50+ mile so I order from different sources including Midway but shipping charges have really gone up lately. I can usually find stuff for .45 ACP, .357 and .44 mag and even 9MM. here but certain bullet types and weights for .45 Colt are harder to find at times. Even though I do buy the cheaper 9MM ammo at times I still reload them and I don't have a progressive press. I use an old Lee turret press with the auto index taken off. A bit slow maybe but I've always seemed to have more time than money and although most 9MMs aren't noted for cast bullet accuracy my 125 gr cast lead bullet loads shoot better in my gun(an older P85) than the bargain Rem. Win white box and other brands. The only factory loads I normally buy is an ocasional box of .38Sp, 9MM or .45 ACP for concealed carry purposes.
Baker

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sportsman Warehouse here handles a variety of the laser cast in this store about 170 miles away from their factory, but if I want their gas checks [ thats their true shot brand ] I have to order it and the shipping kind hurts. Hope Cabelas or Sportsman carry what you want.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Give George at Kead bullets a call. Just don't be in any hurry! He can get 4 boxes of bullets (500 count) into a $8.10 priority mail box, and that is what he charges for shipping. He only does it part time, and is a semi-retired deputy sheriff, so if you aint in no hurry, he is the cheapest way to go, and a real nice guy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Give George at Kead bullets a call. Just don't be in any hurry! He can get 4 boxes of bullets (500 count) into a $8.10 priority mail box, and that is what he charges for shipping. He only does it part time, and is a semi-retired deputy sheriff, so if you aint in no hurry, he is the cheapest way to go, and a real nice guy!
Tim

Could you drop a link for George. I been trying to contact him. Maybe my info is out of date.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
rman. Where do you live from Wichita? The Sportsmans Warehouse has a good supply of re-loading equipment & supplies. Also, Powder Valley is just a few miles east of Winfield. They will ship your stuff or you can walk in & pick it up yourself. You can reach them at
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

rman. Where do you live from Wichita? The Sportsmans Warehouse has a good supply of re-loading equipment & supplies. Also, Powder Valley is just a few miles east of Winfield. They will ship your stuff or you can walk in & pick it up yourself. You can reach them at
[email protected]
I live Northeast of Topeka and it's about 160 miles to Wichita, or about 2 hours and 45 minutes. We don't go down there much, but I think a little field trip might be in order. Every once in a while we decide to go somewhere for the weekend just to get away. You know, as long as were going.....
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will check into some of these sources. Just another reason I like this forum - everyone is really helpful!
Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.