Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I hope they will buy it back or send me one of there Semi Autos.
Well I just checked and getting one of the Semi Autos is not an option. In CA we have an approved gun roster and Ruger has made production changes so they are basically a "new" gun(s). That means they are required to have microstamping, which doesn't really exist. With that they only have one Semi Auto for sale in CA, a .380. Sad!

Gun control at its finest.

So not being a Ruger wheel gun guy, which one's are reliable?

·
Registered
170 Posts
OP don't know if Ruger website still has a contact the CEO section but if it does then I would drop him a line and explain it all to him. That is the kind of experience he needs to know about and he can make it right to you.
There is a “Tell the CEO” email link at the bottom of the main page, all pages actually. His name is Chris Killoy. He should know the trouble you are having. I bet he will make it right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There is a “Tell the CEO” email link at the bottom of the main page, all pages actually. His name is Chris Killoy. He should know the trouble you are having. I bet he will make it right.
Yes I see it. A few months back when I was on their site it was disabled.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well it's officially a turd!

Worse than before. Gun was purchased as a carry gun to replace an old .38 snub, which BTW was my first gun, a Charter Arms Off Duty from 1986 purchased for less than $200 and has had many, many thousands of rounds and not one malfunction.

That gun I can rely on all day, every day, this Ruger I will never trust.

I also found some other posts online about this problem and people saying that Ruger never fixed them and bought them back. I hope they will buy it back or send me one of there Semi Autos because right now I have a $500 paper weight that I would not sell to an enemy.

Sad
I'm sorry to hear that. However, it mirrors my experience with an SP101 in .22LR. It had horrible leading issues due to a poorly cut forcing cone. On the first trip back they adjusted the ejector star - treating it as a timing issue, when that was clearly not the issue.

I had to send it back a second time, and they advised they'd "escalate" it to a supervisor for the work. I was advised a couple weeks later it was not factory repairable, and they offered to replace it with a new one or refund my money - if I had an original receipt.

I had to send them the original receipt for the $72 in Fed Ex shipping for the first return (they were not doing shipping labels at the time). When I had not received any reimbursement after a few weeks, they first told me it would take 6 weeks to process, and then a few weeks later later told me they did not have the receipt (which had been shipped in the box with the revolver) and refused to reimburse me at all, since I no longer had an original receipt. Based on that experience, I opted for a new SP101 rather than playing another round of Ruger Reimbursement Roulette. They however did not tell me that replacing it would not happen until they did another SP101 .22LR production run, and that ended up being 5 months later. I did eventually get a new revolver about 8 months after my initial purchase. It shot ok, if you regard dinner plate sized groups at 15 yards as "ok", but it was nowhere near the standard of a S&W Model 63, Model 17 or Model 617. I traded it towards a Model 17.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for your experience with sp101 but the same time it's good to read about it because this revolver was on my list. More than a year I bought LC9s and stays in the safe. It has never been used as CCW. The reason is FTE- from time to time the empty shell stays in the pipe. The gun has been sent around 4 times to Ruger- still not fixed.I can not trust this gun for self defence.
Good luck with sp101 which is nice looking revolver but what really matters is the realibility.

·
Retired
161 Posts
I opted for a new SP101 rather than playing another round of Ruger Reimbursement Roulette. They however did not tell me that replacing it would not happen until they did another SP101 .22LR production run, and that ended up being 5 months later. I did eventually get a new revolver about 8 months after my initial purchase. It shot ok, if you regard dinner plate sized groups at 15 yards as "ok", but it was nowhere near the standard of a S&W Model 63, Model 17 or Model 617. I traded it towards a Model 17. Model52, how long ago was this?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I opted for a new SP101 rather than playing another round of Ruger Reimbursement Roulette. They however did not tell me that replacing it would not happen until they did another SP101 .22LR production run, and that ended up being 5 months later. I did eventually get a new revolver about 8 months after my initial purchase. It shot ok, if you regard dinner plate sized groups at 15 yards as "ok", but it was nowhere near the standard of a S&W Model 63, Model 17 or Model 617. I traded it towards a Model 17. Model52, how long ago was this?
Per the serial number the revolver shipped in 2014. If I recall correctly I bought it in March or April of 2014, and got it back around October or November of 2014. It may have also been March to November 2015.

So, not recent, but not in the distant past either. Unfortunately, Ruger isn't likely to get another chance to see if either their quality or customer service have improved.

·
Retired
161 Posts
That surprises me as when i was working on that line, on the floor, daily we would changeover and run different models. Not once did we go that long without making a model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ruger is replacing the pistol with a rifle. Basically they said just send it back and go shopping on the website. Already in transit to my FFL.

They stepped up big time on this one!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Per the serial number the revolver shipped in 2014. If I recall correctly I bought it in March or April of 2014, and got it back around October or November of 2014. It may have also been March to November 2015.

So, not recent, but not in the distant past either. Unfortunately, Ruger isn't likely to get another chance to see if either their quality or customer service have improved.
Yet here you are on a Ruger fan page. Oy vey.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Hello all!

This is my second Ruger purchase and I'm wondering if it was a mistake. My first Ruger is a 22/45 and it has been trouble free even with customizing and modifications over many thousands of rounds.

The SP101 I purchased from Buds arrived and functioned perfectly but when I cleaned it there was a defect in the barrel, galling in 2 of the rifling groves. Ruger said they could not repair it and sent a replacement. Everything looked great but right away it started malfunctioning.

Either single or double action, sometimes the hammer will not cock all the way back, it goes almost to the back of the frame and stops. At first I thought the ammo was somehow hanging up and jamming the cylinder but now I can reproduce this and I'm realizing that the cylinder IS rotating in to lock up but the hammer does not go back that last 1/4" or so. Once I was able to get it all the way back by jiggling the hammer around but most times you have to release the hammer and start over.

It was doing this every 2-3 loadings. Is this just bad luck? Something that I can fix?

I can work on it as I have build some AR's ground up and worked on many guns, I would hate to have to sent another one back with less than 100 rounds on it. :rolleyes:
Welcome to the forum from NC. By all means send it back. That gun should not have made it through quality control. You want a new gun to function correctly and I’m sure they will make things right. Sorry that it happened to you but let Ruger fix it.
Ditto all this...and send it back to Ruger CS! It should have never passed Quality Control...but it does happen.
I've had a few dealing with Ruger CS and they were fantastic about making everything right...no complaints about them here!

With an SP101..have you ever considered a do-it-yourself trigger job?
If you take the time to watch the video...it's a fantastic trigger when you get done...literally 'buttery-smooth' is the words I used to describe the results!
MCARBO: https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-sp101-/-gp100-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

·
Retired
161 Posts
Donny1. sorry the SP didn't work out for you but happy they stepped up and made you happy with the new firearm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Donny1. sorry the SP didn't work out for you but happy they stepped up and made you happy with the new firearm
Yes, too bad cuz I really wanted it for carry.

But Ruger stepped up big time. Besides the exchange, after sending 2 guns to my FFL they have reimbursed over $100 in transfer fees.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts