Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -
During my wait period for my 10/22 Takedown, I picked up a few goodies - one of which was a swivel-stud bipod.
I noticed that the Takedown does not have one and from what I've read, putting a swivel stud on a plastic stock will not be good.

Are there any other ways I can get this bipod on there? I don't want to get another bipod (like a picatinny one).

I did some searching and had no luck finding a barrel band swivel stud... any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I don't think a plastic barrel band would hold up to having a bipod on it. A metal one might. I've wondered about putting a bipod on a takedown myself. I'd like to have one on mine.

I have a UTG bipod on one of my AR-15's. I think the force required to extend and retract the legs would break the plastic forearm pretty quickly, no matter how it is attached.

Another AR-15 of mine has one of those Mako bipods on it, it might not break the plastic forearm, but it uses a picatinny rail.

There are swivel stud adapters you can mount directly to wooden stocks, that might work on the plastic forearm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks red.
Yea the plastic wall for the stock seems pretty thin and I agree that the force to open c/ close the bipod would do damage fairly quick.

I may do what some others have done and cut an aftermarket stock and drill out the right holes for the takedown mechanism but man, sounds like a lot of work that may end up not looking so good...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys, use a Promag aluminum barrel band that has the picatinny rail adapter on the bottom. Problem solved. I've got two Takedowns and did them both up like that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I put a block of hardwood inside the plastic stock, so the stud screw has something to bite into. Easy fix, just epoxy a small block of wood inside the stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts