Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife told me that since retiring, I need a hobby to keep me from being grumpy!!! (what a break for me!!!lol). I have decided to join a local gun club that has 100 yrd "Varmint" shooting. I love my 10/22, but realize that it is not a tack driver. I used to shoot IPCC, but my health doesn't allow me to "run and gun", anymore.

I would like suggestions for a reasonbly priced bolt action 22 rifle, that would not require extensive mods to be fairly accurate...I know that is a big request, but if anyone knows, I think you guys will. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
check out the Henry line...old company big on leverguns...but they make some nice bolt actions, too....and RugerPacker used to say nice things about the CZ rifles-see if they have .22rf...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Sheepdog. The CZ 452 Varmint is currently at the head of my list. I looked at the Ruger bolt actions, but they are pricey...beautiful wood, though. I will also look at the Henry's.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Have you considered a re-build on the 10-22? Them boys are doing some amazing things with the barrels and triggers. Might be something you can do in that price range.

If you download the catalog from www.cdnninvestments.com they have some great deals on anschutz

·
Banned
700 Posts
Wizard,

If you're resigned to a bolt the CZ 452 is a winner!
Of course I'm somewhat partial to the 1022 builds.
They will truly drive tacks!

SD

·
Registered
191 Posts
You may want to consider a good old used gun rather than new. The Winchester model 75 or if you're lucky enough to find a Winchester 52 may be the way to go. Remington also made a 40XR rimfire version of their 40X match rifles. I've seen older used Anshutz rifles in excellent condition at reasonable prices. Guns like these have a limited market and there are some good bargains out there.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would love to build my 10/22, but the club rules for this compitition states that any stock, barrel etc., replacements must be from the original mfg, and must be a "shot" model for sale. It even says no aftermarket triggers (trigger must be made my mfg of rifle). I have a friend that has a built 10/22, and it is really sweet.

·
Banned
700 Posts
In that case might be smarter to opt for Coffee Pot's suggestion. The good old good ones are proven to be reliable and accurate and you might find one looking for a home.
I have an incredibly accurate NS-522(Annie knockoff) but parts are scarce at best.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, here is a copy of the rules for this category...tell me if I'm reading it wrong:

Equipment
Factory rifle bearing mfg. name, model #,serial#, chambering. Rifle must be listed in mfg. catalog as shot.
May have added: Bedding of action/barrel. Springs changed in trigger and bolt. Changes in stock length butt to trigger.
May not add: Aftermarket stock. Barrel other than factory identical replacement. Aftermarket trigger.

Scope
No power limit. Internal adjustments only.

Bags
Sand bags allowed under buttstock.

Front Rest
Bi-pod or combination of planks and sand bags. No windage front rest assembly. No one piece rest....Front and rear connected. No recoil reducing rest allowed.

All participants to act as gentlemen while competing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Song Dawg, I sent you a PM, but one other question: The 2 you pictured above, are they for go or for show. I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm going to be new to the Varmint shooting...it's nothing like run & gun IPCC.....thanks.....

·
Banned
700 Posts
Not a stupid question at all, Wiz!
I shoot varmint/ targets with three guns:
A Ruger K77MKII in .22-250...I load my own!
A Ruger 77/22Mag VT for shots approx 125-150 or so. Fed 30 Sierra or TNT
One or more 1022's for "walk around" critter gittin'or bench shooting 100yds and in. Mostly bulk Feds for off hand sqweaks but CCI and Wolf Match for targets.

Here:

50Yds Fed Bulk Auto Match Ammo

50Yds CCI Mini Mags

I'll grab the PM!

SD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
Deputy,
I have a 1022T among others. It's a very good "out of the box" shooter. They claim to have an upgraded hammer for a better trigger pull but I find them still in need of a $30.00 drop in for 3.0lbs or lighter.
As to accuracy, mine will cover a nickel all day at 50yds.:) My buddy's will beat mine![:0] That's switchin' shooters/guns. Both bought within hours of one another. They say it's all in the bolt face. I've never felt it was cost effective in my case to have it faced. Varmints aren't complaining as of yet!:)
I have a couple of builds which may be freaks but they shoot just about any fodder well within a dime....... anytime. As shown above.

If I were starting out in varmints via rimfire I'd opt for the 1022T and add some basic inexpensive amenities like a Power Custom Hammer, bolt buffer, mag release, hex stock screw, bolt release and a good Power Custom or equivalent scope rail. Then spend some of the savings on a reliable scope. BTW, I have a few of these "goodies" which I'll part with.

The "T" can be shot off hand though it's obviously heavier than a stock carbine. Some of my 16.5" barrels on Barracuda stocks carry very easily. But the "T" is lighter than many of my silhouette thumbhole (stock) builds.

If the bug bites there's always time and resources later for a build!:D

SD

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got an e-mail from the event coordinator at the club. On the 18th, I'm going as a guest to one of their matches (at which time I shall become a member). That will give me a better feel for what they are shooting. He did say that all the rimfires are bolt action with at least a match chamber. Thanks for everyone's help. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I attended the match last week, and it looks like a lot of fun. They have two classes - stock and unlimited. I think I am interested in the stock class. There were two 77/22's a Remington, a Savage, an Annie (really nice, but out of my price league), and a couple more that I don't recall. All were of course bolt action. They shoot at 100 yds. They were using bipods on front, and sandbags on the rear. Most were shooting Wolf or SK (seems they are both the same, just different packing). One guy was shooting a .17...interesting, but ammo is expensive.

After a lot of concideration, I think I will probably end up with a CZ 453 Varmint. Now, I just have to decide how much I want to spend on the scope. I'm looking at Nikon, Weaver and BSA. BSA would be my last choice, but, it is considerably less expensive. Decisions, decisons....Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Song Dawg. Will the 10/22T shoot with bolt actions? If I shoot stock class, springs can be changed, but no aftermarket trigger.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Another vote for CZ. I think their line of bolt action .22's are the best deal going in rimfire guns. I have one of their training models with a Brooks trigger kit ($14), ghost ring, replacement screws, and weaver adapters, and it's a tack driver. The varmint should be insanely accurate. Installing the trigger kit in my CZ was the first time I had ever taken a gun apart more than normal field stripping for cleaning. Following the instructions it took me a about an hour to end up with a safe 1.5 lb trigger with no creep or overtravel. If it was only going to be a bench/competition gun I would have gone even lower but the lower spring wouldn't pass the bump test in mine.

Some great info in the CZ forum at Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
Eric Brook's CZ accessories, check out the trigger kit page for details and some pictures of it installed: http://cz452.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.