Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen-

Going for 3 day inspection tomorrow on OM super I bought, supposedly mahogany case, eagle-less barrel and long frame.

My question is, can someone give me exact measurements of either the short or long frame grip or grip panels so I can measure?

I have an OM super with me, but unfortunately I believe that is a long frame as well, or I could be measuring wrong and it's a short frame?

Is the distance between bottom of wood grip and top 3" or 3.25 inches on a short frame?

I am measuring like 3 and 3/8ths on my Super grips here at home. Is that long frame too?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Neither of those two illustrations show the old model "long frame".

Long frames measure 1 27/32” from center of screw to bottom of grip, 5/32” longer than the standard SBH grips which measure 1 11/16” (22/32”) at that same location. Long frame grips are both stamped with a ‘C’ on the back side.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hondo-

Exactly the kind of information I needed...

So...the gun did have "c" stamps and matched the grips I brought from home.

So either I have 2 long frames now!

Or...2 short frames that I think are long frames, but that both have "c" stamps on the underside of grips! Hahaha!

I'm going to go measure now...the new gun is at dealer in jail for 10 days, but it compared grips size; they match perfectly!

Thanks again everyone, this was a good problem to have!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hondo-

I measured: yes both are confirmed, based on your measurements, to be long frames.

It was easier for me to convert to 47mm for my tape measure.

It was exactly 47mm for those who need help in the future.

All 4 grips (my one at home and the one at dealer) had "c" stamps.

All were- backward or upside-down "c" s.

My home one is serial number 2717. No eagle, but I never got the Mahogany box.

Now some History making here!!!! The one at dealer is also no eagle, with mahogany box and long frame...wait for it...serial number 3207.

I think latest verified per most experts on the forums was 3111.

So there you have it.

I'd post pics, but don't know how.

I can email to someone if they want to give me their email.

I emailed Some other expert folks these pics as well for their records.

Haven't heard back from them definitively yet.

But if the above measurements from Hondo are correct, then it's settled.

Also, again no doubt both guns have the C stamps and are eagle-less.

Thanks everyone, this is exciting for a newbie like me.

I lucked into the first, and snatched up the second quickly! Haha!

Beginners luck I suppose and help from everyone here on the forums!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You can tell its a Super Blackhawk just by the squared off trigger guard. Must be a .44 Magnum??
Not always true. The Super Blackhawks with 4 5/8" & 5 1/2" barrels have the round trigger guard XR3-RED profile grip frames on them, same as the regular Blackhawks.

The SBH short barreled guns have a steel XR3-RED grip frame and the regular Blackhawks have the aluminum XR3-RED grip frame.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
You can tell its a Super Blackhawk just by the squared off trigger guard. Must be a .44 Magnum??
They're both 44 Mag Super Blackhawks.

He needed to determine if it was a SBH with standard square back trigger guard grip frame or the Rare SBH with square back trigger guard extra long grip frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts