Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay in a few weeks I'm going to Maine to do some fishing. Staying in a cabin with four other guys. The others are doing some bird hunting part of the time, I'm fishing the whole time I think (although I'm told there's a plinking range right outside the cabin, so I will bring some stuff!).

Anyway, typical deal, guys will take turn cooking or at least coming up with a plan for dinner. Seems like a nice cabin with kitchen, plus we'll have a grill outside.

Any cool ideas on something easy to do for a group of people, preferably something without a lot of cleanup? :D

I know some of you outdoorsy types have special ways to grill a steak, or throw a bunch of vegetables in a tin foil pouch with butter and beer or something and throw it on the grill.

I've also made a breakfast casserole, just a pan full of scrambled eggs, sausage, peppers and onions and cheese, make it the night before and just take it out of the fridge in the morning and that makes a nice easy breakfast. I might do that.

Any ideas greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Cook a big pot of Pinto Beans with a ham hock in it. Can cook the day before and warm up if you like. The more they are warmed over the better they are. Fry a big skillet full of potatoes, and make some cornbread. Peal a couple of big onions and you have a meal fit for a King down here in the South. Don't know about up there. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd hatta sleep outside in my sleepin' bag!!!!! RNettles had some MREs in the back room at the coffee shop that he'd probably sell you real cheap-the rats won't bother them.....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It's always hard to beat brats boiled in beer, then tossed on the grill. Fry up some peppers and onions to go with them, and now you got a meal.

·
Banned
723 Posts
From my Bachelor Days:

Take a can of Spaghettios and put a small hole in the top with a can opener.

Place can on top of Pilot Light

Leave for 8-9 Hours

Return Home and open can

Eat contnts of can

I'm glad I am not a Bachelor anymore. :D

Biker

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Johngoboom

It's always hard to beat brats boiled in beer, then tossed on the grill. Fry up some peppers and onions to go with them, and now you got a meal.
Now you're talkin. How long do you boil them, and in all beer or just beery water?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by BikerRN

From my Bachelor Days:

Take a can of Spaghettios and put a small hole in the top with a can opener.

Place can on top of Pilot Light

Leave for 8-9 Hours

Return Home and open can

Eat contnts of can

I'm glad I am not a Bachelor anymore. :D

Biker
Poor man's crock pot, huh! I'm glad you're not a bachelor anymore too!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
All beer, just buy a couple 40oz's of cheap stuff. Get one one of those cheap aluminum trays from the grocery store, and do a whole mess of em at once. Boil for about 10 min or so. and then set em on the grill for about 4-5 more. I like to fry the peppers and onions up in butter.

Eddie F if you want my Moms Sausage Gravy Recipie private message me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't care how far out in the woods you go...you still won't be more than 3 miles from a Chinese take-out/delivery.

That would be my plan.

Is it any wonder I never get asked to go camping anymore? [:eek:)]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you can eat that stuff, you're a braver man than me....I like my mysteries in books...not in my plate...that's why I never ate gumbo...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beer Chicken! Take a few whole chickens, frozen when you leave. When you arrive, or the next day or two, they are thawed. Place chicken cavity onto an open beer can, and barbeque, with the beer can upright and the chicken on it. . The exact recipe is on the Internet all over the place, but it is not critical. Use any barbeque sauce during the cooking, and the beer boils off and flavors the chicken. Simple, no cleanup, and tastes great. Beer chicken. A man's meal. Corn on cob wrapped in foil alongside it. Toss on a few steaks at the same time, yummy. Forget the nice kitchen. Too much cleanup. Barbeque is NO cleanup, remember?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Let me preface my answer with saying that I do ALL the cooking at our house, and have for 7 yrs. or better.

Assuming that the temps will be on the cool or cold side this time of year, I second that beans and hamhock with corbread. I would also fix a pot of chili. If you do catch fish, grill it, after you marinade it in some lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. You could also take some pork steaks, and grill them (or better still, a boston butt, sliced about 3 knuckles thick...grill low and slow, for about 4 1/2 hrs. Add some potato salad, and you got a meal. You could also grill or bake cornish game hens, rubbed with Cavender's Greek Seasoning, or rub in sage and rosemary. Stew beef and gravy on rice is good too. It all depends on what foods you have available. Ya'll have a good time.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Chili

This is a favorite around here. I have been using Tabasco Hot & Spicy Bloody Mary Mix (liquid) to spice it up even more.

2 lbs. ground beef
2 lbs. Stew beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
4 to 6 jalapenos, chopped
2 cans Rotel tomatoes ( mild or hot )
2 to 3 cans kidney beans, drained*
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato paste
6 to 8 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
salt & pepper to taste

Cook meat, onion & peppers, drain, add all other ingredients, cover & simmer 2 to 3 hours.
*May use 1 can kidney beans & 1 can chili beans, undrained.

If you want it thicker, add more tomato paste. If you want it thinner, add water or beer.

Top with your favorite cheese and Fritoes.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Wizard, I prefer thick, meaty and spicy!

I had not tried the frito thing until very recently, I got it at Hard Times restaurant and really liked it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts