Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was going to load up some 223 and 30-30 so ran out to a local gs to pick up some h335 $ 31.95 I dam neared passed out seems high but not sure what prices are now in southeastern Michigan I try and support the local gun stores but wonder if im getting gouged what are you guys paying ?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's about right around here and I've certainly seen worse.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Powder Valley sells it for $20 a pound when they have it, but then you still pay for Hazmat fee and shipping.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have some old cans of powder marked $3.95. Those were the days.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
That's about what it runs here in Oregon, give or take a dollar or two.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow ok been a while since I bought any powder I still have quite a few pounds blue dot win 231 700x but want some for a new 223 so I guess that's what there going for i have some old unopened metal cans remember them I looked at the price sticker $ 11.30 wow scattershot $3.95 you got me beat that's amazing I guess I have crossed over to old man status my gramps use to complain how expensive things got as he got older now I doing the same thing.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Paid $28.95 out the door at my LGS a couple of months ago and I thought that was a bit high, Noted the same brand of powder going for $24.95+ tax at a LGS in Missouri last fall. $31.95 seems a bit high.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Powder prices went crazy around here last year. If you could find what you had a recipe for. If not, you had to work up new recipes for whatever was on hand. PITA.
Buy all my go fast powders exclusively online now.
Buy a couple 8# jugs of Hodgdon Varget at a time to beat the hazmat, but still save over a hundred bucks a jug.
Have to buy 16 lbs to save $200, but still.....$200. No brainer for me.
And they drop it right at my dock.
Don't have to drive all around, and actually get what I wanted.
Pretty much everything I use that's .30 cal now runs on Varget. 308, 30-06, 30-30.
Certainly no more worries about not having enough powder on hand. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a can of H450 that says $2.35. I try to buy my powder at the local Fleet Farm. It is usually still about $16 /LB. I buy enough to last me a few years at a time because it is not always in stock. It will be in stock for 6 months and then out of stock for 3 months.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
was going to load up some 223 and 30-30 so ran out to a local gs to pick up some h335 $ 31.95 I dam neared passed out seems high but not sure what prices are now in southeastern Michigan I try and support the local gun stores but wonder if im getting gouged what are you guys paying ?
I got Hodgdon's BL-C(2) at Cabela's for $23.95

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I'm urging you all to stock up with the election coming.:eek:

We found out they do not need to get our guns when they put a stranglehold on ammo & components. I feel that is their next move.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm urging you all to stock up with the election coming.:eek:

We found out they do not need to get our guns when they put a stranglehold on ammo & components. I feel that is their next move.
I started stocking up the day after the Great Horror was elected. I have lots of components, and lots of RF ammo. Be sure to thank your Democrat friends. Hillary will be much worse.

I remember when I bought powder by the pound. It was decades ago, When Jimmy Carter was elected. When Clinton started yapping, and primers became unavailable, I started maintaining 5K of every size as a minimum.

If you need only a pound, pay and load away. It's been tough to get what you want for four years, so you don't need much. Two pounds will last through the next presidential disaster. If guns are still legal, you can get another couple lbs.

Get serious. If you plan to shoot in the next decade, you better have a few 8lb canisters and a couple thousand bullets and primers. Rimfire ammo, you missed the boat when the gettin' was good.

Less than 25% of eligible voters went to the polls for Obama's second term. If you were in the 75%, you deserve the situation, and shortages. Something to consider in a few months.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Eh, a guy is talking $28 at a low end per pound usually, $31, $32 at the top end. It's H335, I'd tend to assume you're using it for small case loads like 223/5.56, but I know I've loaded it in 458win mag also...

An extra $3 per pound is only an extra penny per shot on 223rem, and only 2cents per shot on a big case 458win mag... At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt that much. Pick a cheaper bullet and you'll save a lot more than that. Hurts the pocketbook a lot more when gas goes up a few cents a gallon.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Price seem to be dropping as supply returns. All my LGS and not so local LGS have had good selection and quantity of powders on hand recently. Prices have come down a bit too with most powders being $21-$27 dollars a lb.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Morning michman

I just paid a little over $30.00 for a pound at Guns Galore in Fenton a week or so ago (seems to the be the going rip-off rate at the moment)

I guess we should be glad we can even get it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts