Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a ruger american in 30-06 this is my first rifle that needed a scope i have an old levergun i hunted with for years but she's way to pretty to keep taking into the deer woods that being said i set my new scope up on the new rifle set my eye relief bore sighted in everything is good so far i have to wait till this weekend for range time so the new scope is marked up to 400 yards i plan on zeroing at 100 yards so here's the question if i sight in at 100 yards my scope is 1/4 in moa if i want to shoot at 200 yards or farther how many clicks do i adjust to thanks for your needed help

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,378 Posts
If you set it to hit about 1.8 inches high at 100 yards, it will be dead on at 200. That will allow you to be in the kill zone with the cross hairs from about 50 yards to about 250 yards.

·
Super Moderator
22,047 Posts
Depending on the bullet weight I sight my scopes to hit 2.5" to 3.0" high at 100 yards. With that I am pretty much hold on out to 300 yards. Thats hunting accuracy.

If the scope has graduations out to 400 yards then you need to read the manual for bullet weight and velocity and how to program it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys thats the info i needed im glad i joined this forum people who know what the hell there talking about

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I usually adapt my sight in strategy to the ranges I'll be shooting. There are very few places in the NE/US that offer a shot opportunity much past 100yds. When I head for the woods in PA/VA, I use a 1" high @100yds setting for bullets traveling 2800-2900fps. That lands a bullet 1" low @ 200yds. The longest shot I've ever taken east of the Mississippi was a cross ravine shot in PA, in open hardwoods, 178 Nikon yds.

When I head west for antelope or mule deer in WY/MT, 2" high @ 100yds leaves me 4" low @ 300yds, and a tad high @ 200yds. I've dropped a mule deer and an antelope a bit farther than that when I ran out of cover, but a high lung hold worked fine for both, and both shots were 325yds +/-. Shots past that for me are not practical, as wind becomes a major factor with most shots. I've watched a couple hunters guess wind poorly, and miss a standing 300yd shot by a body length. I've taken a couple shots at coyotes at that range and missed by a coyote length myself, and I was holding well int the wind on the shot. Too much luck factor past 300yds, and up to that, my .243, .280, .30-06 have worked well with a 2" high @ 100yd setting.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,378 Posts
Winchester has a great ballistics calculator for their ammunition. If you set the sight-in range to 200 yards or whatever range you want and set the max range to 100 yards, it will give you the exact height. It will also give you the drop from gravity and drift from the wind. For example, a silvertip 180 grain 30-06 at 500 yards in 59 degree weather and a scope set 1.5 inch above the bore drops 45.9 inches and drifts 18.2 inches from a 10 mph wind with a 200 yard sight-in. If you download the ballistics calculator to a smart phone, you can set your scope in the field for whatever current conditions you see. Snipers take all of this into account for great long range shots. Most hunters go with a 200 yard sight-in and leave it there.

Winchester Ammunition

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.