Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found myself in need of a highly concealable firearm for certain times when I absolutely cannot be made, due to social circumstances (trust me nothing illegal).

I was pretty much sold on an LCP even though I don't really cAre for shooting them. It was what would work for my needs and my budget. I looked at others that were either too big (kahr ct380) or too expensive off the shelf (sig p238 at $600-700) even though I really liked them.

Well as it happens a buddy mentioned he had a sig p238 he didn't want, and let it go to me for the price of an LCP, and included a few mags as well. Should do the job nicely, and it doesn't feel like I'm going to break it every time I hold it, and I can actually get a grip on the thing as well.

It had spray painted black grip panels so I stripped them and redid them with Aervoe and added a little sand in for texture.

Big sig for normal concealed carry....baby sig for secret concealed carry!

The extended mags are real nice since I have large hands. They allow me to get a full grip on the thing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's a great choice for one how is into 1911 carry. I'm glad you found a deal and didn't have to compromise. And it doesn't hurt that it's good looking. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I worry about a single action even if holstered in a pocket. I would use a double action only like the kel tec p3at.

Well I have owned a keltec and was super unimpressed with everything about it. Hence why I was considering an LCP, they at least seem built a lot better. Either way I don't really intend to pocket carry, at least not very often, so it doesn't bother me much.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Congrats on the p238; sound like you got a great deal.

I bought a p238 last month to replace my LCP Custom on those occasions when I need deep concealment. I must say, I love it. The LCP just became too uncomfortable for me to shoot and I want to practice regularly with all my carry guns.

I mostly carry the p238 IWB, but occasionally pocket carry it in a holster that covers the thumb safeties. When I pocket carry, I never have anything in that pocket except the holstered gun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My wife has the P238 for a number of reasons, she can rack the slide with ease, it has a safety, you can carry it cocked with no round in the chamber and the safety on and still rack a round if needed. Shoots well and reasonable accuracy. In her purse pocket the P238 is carried with no round in the chamber if I am driving so there is no accidental discharge. Great little effective gun!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife has the P238 for a number of reasons, she can rack the slide with ease, it has a safety, you can carry it cocked with no round in the chamber and the safety on and still rack a round if needed. Shoots well and reasonable accuracy. In her purse pocket the P238 is carried with no round in the chamber if I am driving so there is no accidental discharge. Great little effective gun!!

I have a P938 (same thing only 9mm). Question, what is there to gain having it cocked with no round in the chamber? You still have to rack it to load a round, which in turn cocks it. Seems like if you don't want one in the chamber, leave it uncocked.

Myself, I have not yet become comfortable with one in the chamber and cocked w/ safety on. I'm still trying to decide if I think that's safe or not' where as a DA pistol I feel a lot better about having it ready to go...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a P938 (same thing only 9mm). Question, what is there to gain having it cocked with no round in the chamber? You still have to rack it to load a round, which in turn cocks it. Seems like if you don't want one in the chamber, leave it uncocked.

Myself, I have not yet become comfortable with one in the chamber and cocked w/ safety on. I'm still trying to decide if I think that's safe or not' where as a DA pistol I feel a lot better about having it ready to go...
Are you saying you're not comfortable with it for pocket carry or just in general? I don't view a cocked and locked SAO any different than a Glock or other safety less thing like that. But then again I have always carried a cocked and locked 1911 and occasionally carry a glock so neither design really bothers me

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you saying you're not comfortable with it for pocket carry or just in general? I don't view a cocked and locked SAO any different than a Glock or other safety less thing like that. But then again I have always carried a cocked and locked 1911 and occasionally carry a glock so neither design really bothers me

I don't like having it cocked in my pocket / on my person. I've read the manuals explaining the locking pin, etc, but it seems like an awful lot of kinetic energy while in my pocket. Maybe over time, I'll get used to it.

My SR22, doesn't bother me to have a round chambered, and safety on, hammer down. I can pull it, safety up, and have a DA shot ready to go very quickly.

P938 with hammer back and safety on just spooks me a little bit. The firing pin safety is the only thing preventing a discharge in my pocket / holster. I do realize that it is not likely, but I'm just not there yet, would rather have the DA in my pocket at the moment.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have the P938 also, and I pocket carry that cocked and locked in a holster that covers the safety, also I very much doubt that safety will ever click itself off. I personally feel that a SAO with a safety is much safer to pocket carry, 2 things must occur for the gun to go off (safety has to get clicked off AND the trigger needs to be pulled) vs. the DAO just the trigger needs to get pulled.

In any case, great choice in firearm, you should go and check out the G10 grips for it...I want to get a set for mine, I just like the way they look and the VZ grips are pretty aggressively checkered.

Safe shooting

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't like having it cocked in my pocket / on my person. I've read the manuals explaining the locking pin, etc, but it seems like an awful lot of kinetic energy while in my pocket. Maybe over time, I'll get used to it.

My SR22, doesn't bother me to have a round chambered, and safety on, hammer down. I can pull it, safety up, and have a DA shot ready to go very quickly.

P938 with hammer back and safety on just spooks me a little bit. The firing pin safety is the only thing preventing a discharge in my pocket / holster. I do realize that it is not likely, but I'm just not there yet, would rather have the DA in my pocket at the moment.
So in general you don't feel particularly comfortable with anything other than double action for carry?

I'm just curious is all, different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the P938 also, and I pocket carry that cocked and locked in a holster that covers the safety, also I very much doubt that safety will ever click itself off. I personally feel that a SAO with a safety is much safer to pocket carry, 2 things must occur for the gun to go off (safety has to get clicked off AND the trigger needs to be pulled) vs. the DAO just the trigger needs to get pulled.

In any case, great choice in firearm, you should go and check out the G10 grips for it...I want to get a set for mine, I just like the way they look and the VZ grips are pretty aggressively checkered.

Safe shooting
I already have a set of hogue g10's on the way haha, but I wanted a smooth set that wouldn't snag

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have an LCP and a Colt Mustang, very similar to the 238. I like the LCP for what it is, but it only gets carried when I'm out running. The Mustang shoots better and handles better. But that's just my opinion. I LIKE shooting the Mustang. Not so much the LCP

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an LCP and a Colt Mustang, very similar to the 238. I like the LCP for what it is, but it only gets carried when I'm out running. The Mustang shoots better and handles better. But that's just my opinion. I LIKE shooting the Mustang. Not so much the LCP

I have yet to shoot the p238 but I very much have not liked the LCP when I have shot it in the past. If they 238 is any better, which I assume it will be, I'll be a happy camper lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
So in general you don't feel particularly comfortable with anything other than double action for carry?

I'm just curious is all, different strokes for different folks

Well a lot of it is I'm probably newer to this than a lot of you, so some of it is just confidence and learning for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well a lot of it is I'm probably newer to this than a lot of you, so some of it is just confidence and learning for me.

I will learn to carry the 938; but I am really liking and comfortable with the mechanics of the SR22. Now, the SR22 is not the gun for self defense in my opinion, but double action with a safety is something I'm really liking. My ideal condition at this point in my short career as a gun owner is DA, chambered, hammer de-cocked, with a safety. That way, I can draw, flick the safety and fire an dA shot. Main difference being a stiffer longer first trigger pull than the 938 and not having the spring loaded hammer back and ready to go like the 938 would have in the same mode.

Just my thoughts guys... Please don't anyone make a decision based on my post here.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
The Sig P238 & 938 are very nice guns. But I feel where the traditional safety with a 1911 design pistol comes with the grip safety that are on full sized 1911's. It would ne nice to see these smaller .380's & 9mm have a grip safety. To the OP for you to get a Sig P238 for the price of a Ruger LCP .380 that is one very good buy!!! My preference in a small pocket pistol that's semi-auto the Sig or Kimber or Colt pistols in .380 all seems to be top quality. The Sig P238/938 are some of the best!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I recently picked up a P938 and it's replaced my SR9c as my EDC because it's significantly lighter and much easier to conceal...

I carried it for a few days with it cocked, safety on, but the chamber empty; in a IWB Holster, tucked in my waistband, in a front pocket without a holster, in a rear pocket with & without, in a coat pocket (3 different coats) with and without, etc .... The whole time, I was trying to not be careful and never once did the safety as much as move a fraction of an inch, nor did I ever inadvertently put pressure on the trigger

I have carried it in Condition 1 ever since ...

That said, I understand being a bit skittish, particularly if all you've ever carried is a DA or Striker fired firearm (like me before the P938)

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's a very good idea, to carry it without one in the chamber but cocked and locked for testing purposes. I think I'll try that for a while too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts