Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"accidents" as in "accidental pregnancy" or very rare, most likely it was negligence( as in "ya can't fix stupid")

"Jamie Gilt, 31, of Florida, placed a loaded .45-caliber handgun in the front seat of her pickup truck, while riding with her son, Lane, on March 8, according to authorities. However, the gun, which was not in a holster and didn’t have a safety lock on, slid underneath the back seat and into the hands of the little boy, said Putnam County Sheriff’s Capt. Gator DeLoach.
Gilt’s son, who had recently learned how to unbuckle himself out of his child seat, saw the gun on the floor and picked it up, according to reports. He managed to shoot his mother in the back, with the bullet exiting through her chest and into the windshield. "

Ms. Gilt(who survived the shooting) is facing misdemeanour charges and up to 180 days in prison for allowing her child access to a firearm, The Associated Press reports."

reading between the lines, ya get a sense that she put a unholstered, cocked but not locked, 1911 on the seat, where it fell thru to the back floor, where Jr. got hold of it and plugged mommy. if the bullet went thru the seat, mommy and the windshield, I'm guessing it was an FMJ, not a defensive round. I hope she gets the 180 days, also hope the kid could get adopted into a responsible family.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
A cocked and not locked 1911... What is your definition of cocked and not locked? I read that as no trigger lock. What good is a trigger lock on a weapon that is kept within arms reach for self defense?

I'm not sure I have ever read a more anti-gun article before. Nice commentary on your hope for the boy being adopted also. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DCD327

·
Registered
735 Posts
The way this had been reported before was that the woman, Mrs. Gilt, is a gun rights and gun safety activist. So the left wingers will surely use this to try to hammer the pro-gun crowd.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just hate it when I read something like this, just gives the anti gunners justification to keep pushing more control. That said, also serves as a reminder to always stay focused on every action one takes with regard to firearm handling.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Just hate it when I read something like this, just gives the anti gunners justification to keep pushing more control. That said, also serves as a reminder to always stay focused on every action one takes with regard to firearm handling.
Yes. Unfortunately, with a nation of 300 million souls, there are always going to be a certain number of fools and knaves.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Was the gun a 1911 style? I find it hard to believe a child, still in a car seat, capable of squeezing the trigger and squeezing the grip safety at the same time.

I agree that this "accident" is not good for our cause and the woman needs to take a couple of common sense pills.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Doesn't help that she's quite a good looking woman. That makes the story much more likely to get attention.

·
Registered
843 Posts
The whole thing is terrible.
Including the political aftershock, and the aftershock to the family.

Accidents are accidents, if no one intended for the accident to happen.

Was it due to Negligence (from not holstering or securing her pistol {locking}), sounds like it A contributing factor to the accident.

Another was the kid getting out of his seat, while the car was moving.
A contributing factor to the accident.
My kids never did that thankfully, doesn't mean they weren't capable.

Did she intend for the pistol to slide thru the seat?
Had she done it before? And if so how many times before and nothing happened? We could only guess. Doesn't make it right or better. Just sux.
A contributing factor to the accident.
(should she sue the OEM of the car and or seat , for allowing the design to do so? )

We are responsible to keep control of what is under our control, just like driving a car or using a lawn mower (which no come with the lawyer induced deadman blade break or disconnect).

·
Registered
767 Posts
There are alway those who lack the wit to recognize danger; and familiaruty does breed complacency. Looks like there's going to be a single dad for awhile.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
797 Posts
A cocked and not locked 1911... What is your definition of cocked and not locked? I read that as no trigger lock. What good is a trigger lock on a weapon that is kept within arms reach for self defense?
"Cocked and locked" in 1911-ese, means the hammer is cocked with the thumb safety engaged. It has nothing to do with a trigger lock.

Another example is in my sig line...

Aqualung

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
"Cocked and locked" in 1911-ese, means the hammer is cocked with the thumb safety engaged. It has nothing to do with a trigger lock.

Another example is in my sig line...

Aqualung
I am very well acquainted with what it is supposed to mean, as a SR1911 is my EDC weapon, but the original poster tends to post comments that, well for lack of a better term, are troll threads. I was simply asking him to clarify his definition of the comment he made below:

"reading between the lines, ya get a sense that she put a unholstered, cocked but not locked, 1911 on the seat, snip, snip, snip...
I for one do not put a trigger lock on my 1911 simply because I pull it from my holster, but then again, I don't have any children around that could get their fingers on it. I'm still waiting for his explanation, but like other threads, it isn't forth coming.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Was the gun a 1911 style? I find it hard to believe a child, still in a car seat, capable of squeezing the trigger and squeezing the grip safety at the same time.

I agree that this "accident" is not good for our cause and the woman needs to take a couple of common sense pills.
The pistol involved was a Kimber Super Carry Ultra .45, 3 inch barrel. From the factory, they have a 4 to 5 llb. trigger pull. As I don't believe a 4 year old could rack a 3 inch 1911, it must have been cocked by the mother.

·
Super Moderator
21,417 Posts
Carrying a 1911 cocked but not locked may be ok if you are clearing a room but to carry it around that way is asking for trouble. Guess she got trouble, shot by here own handgun and headed for the slammer. Also unlikely she will be able to own another firearm.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Many things had to go wrong for this to happen.

From what I understand the women is a big time activist and had even done some pro-gun videos. She was in the country pulling a horse trailer and had just picked up a horse. So now for all the "wrong" that had to happen. She probably carries her pistol on the seat all the time and thought nothing of it. I do the same and have NEVER had mine get between the seats. The next "wrong" is junior gets out of car seat. We have child proof aspirin bottles and nobody can engineer a seat belt a toddler can't crack? Then junior has to squeeze the trigger and engage grip safety with tiny toddler hands..........You would have to admit that is an odd string of occurrence's to have to fall in line for this to happen.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got to thinking about that after I posted the article, was it a 1911 with the safety in the fire position or was it a pistol with an unlocked key lock? (who carries a gun with a locked key locked? might be better off with a hammer?). I guess the other reason I assumed it was a 1911, is that something fat like a Glock brick wouldn't slip thru a seat and onto the rear floor. trying to read between the lines and make sense of some news articles is difficult. did you ever read a story where it seemed clear to a gun person that the writer didn't know the difference between semi-auto and auto?

which is an "accident"? --
1-drunk trips on an empty bourbon bottle and falls down.
2-guy takes the magazine out of his pistol, pulls the trigger, gun goes bang and shoots next door neighbor.
3-woman is driving along texting and spills hot coffee in her lap.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
797 Posts
I am very well acquainted with what it is supposed to mean, as a SR1911 is my EDC weapon, but the original poster tends to post comments that, well for lack of a better term, are troll threads. I was simply asking him to clarify his definition of the comment he made below:
Sorry...guess I should have looked at your avatar...

:eek:

Aqualung

Reactions: brianinpa
1 - 20 of 35 Posts