Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
This open talk about NDs has got me wondering... Why all the hatred of the LCIs, I know that they can be a bit unsightly for some but to me it seems that their observance may have prevented some of these mishaps. I know that on my LC9, the LCI is a bit obvious. Guess I just don't really understand why so many harbor such disdain for what could possibly aid in preventing a tragic accident. I even sorta like mine, its like the little pistol is shouting "all loaded and ready to go!"
Its like a dummy light for your engine oil.... YOU should be checking the chamber visually to make sure it is NOT loaded regardless of the LCI... thats how NDs happen because people get too comfortable with the weapon and too confident in themselves.

If you are handling a firearm without bothering to first VISUALLY check the chamber to see if it is loaded then you should NOT be handling a weapon period:mad:

Check your weapon and ANY weapon you pick up EVERY time!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree and always "finger check" the chamber and mag well. However, I just think it is a fairly unobtrusive (mechanically) indicator that MAY have prevented some of the incidents discussed here.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I agree and always "finger check" the chamber and mag well. However, I just think it is a fairly unobtrusive (mechanically) indicator that MAY have prevented some of the incidents discussed here.
If you are checking the chamber visually every time like I said then none of these things would have happened... its a no-brainer... check the chamber EVERY time you pick up or put down a firearm and you will never have an ND:cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
This open talk about NDs has got me wondering... Why all the hatred of the LCIs, I know that they can be a bit unsightly for some but to me it seems that their observance may have prevented some of these mishaps. I know that on my LC9, the LCI is a bit obvious. Guess I just don't really understand why so many harbor such disdain for what could possibly aid in preventing a tragic accident. I even sorta like mine, its like the little pistol is shouting "all loaded and ready to go!"
Good point! I feel the same way. Quite awhile after my ND I traded my G-26 for a SR9C mainly for the very obvious LCI and the safety but also because it's just a tad smaller too. I know real men don't need a LCI or safety but after my experience I fell better about the SR9C. And I think it shoots much better too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good point! I feel the same way. Quite awhile after my ND I traded my G-26 for a SR9C mainly for the very obvious LCI and the safety but also because it's just a tad smaller too. I know real men don't need a LCI or safety but after my experience I fell better about the SR9C. And I think it shoots much better too.
My XDm had an LCI... it has nothing to do with being a real man to make sure you use your eyes to check the chamber, its being a wise man;)

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Good reason I for goe my Glock 26 in favor of the Ruger LC-9 Saftey can be dis-engaged just as quickly as drawing from leather,older hands will appreciate it too so as reducing possibilities of negligent discharge .

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are checking the chamber visually every time like I said then none of these things would have happened... its a no-brainer... check the chamber EVERY time you pick up or put down a firearm and you will never have an ND:cool:
I get it, and as I said, I agree and always check a chamber as I feel that it is an addendum to one of the basic rules of firearm safety (a gun is always loaded 'til it is visually inspected by the CURRENT possessor of the firearm). But what we are discussing on here is when there is an obvious mishandling of at least one of the basic safety rules. I just don't see anything wrong with a red flag on the weapon that, at the last second, may shout loudly, "wait, there is a round in me that for what ever reason slipped past your safety check!" We all make mistakes, and given enough time you, me and all others who visit this site will too. All we can do in light of this unavoidable calamity is do our best to mitigate dire risks. Thread jack over, we now return to our regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I get it, and as I said, I agree and always check a chamber as I feel that it is an addendum to one of the basic rules of firearm safety (a gun is always loaded 'til it is visually inspected by the CURRENT possessor of the firearm). But what we are discussing on here is when there is an obvious mishandling of at least one of the basic safety rules. I just don't see anything wrong with a red flag on the weapon that, at the last second, may shout loudly, "wait, there is a round in me that for what ever reason slipped past your safety check!" We all make mistakes, and given enough time you, me and all others who visit this site will too. All we can do in light of this unavoidable calamity is do our best to mitigate dire risks. Thread jack over, we now return to our regularly scheduled program.
Simple answer... moving parts fail... your eyes dont:cool:

Lets say for whatever reason your LCI malfunctions, and you didnt bother to check visually if the chamber had a round in it... you assume its empty and shoot someone or yourself... seem logical?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Simple answer... moving parts fail... your eyes dont:cool:

Lets say for whatever reason your LCI malfunctions, and you didnt bother to check visually if the chamber had a round in it... you assume its empty and shoot someone or yourself... seem logical?
I'm sorry, but I don't believe that you are comprehending the main idea.
Best regards,
SurferD

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I was the OP of this thread and have had some great feedback and "confessions" too. Many of us who wasn't focused and let a ND happen normally won't admit it in person to another. I've had firearms for 44 years and from the beginning I was taught to hand someone a firearm with the action open while visually checking for a loaded round. As well, I was also taught to take the gun from someone and check it again, that's been 2nd nature for me the whole time. Before I had my ND I read somewhere that everyone will have a ND if they handle and shoot the gun enough. I didn't beleive it then and really still don't. But I think the more you handle a loaded gun the more chances you'll have of having a ND. The LCI I had on my G-26 was there but I don't know if it's my age or mileage the darn thing wasn't easy to see or feel that there was a loaded round chambered. My SR9C almost screams LOADED which I like. And yes, I still treat every gun as if it's loaded even if the LCI says it's not. When I had my ND the gun was pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
328 Posts
LCI's breed the very same complacency that caused many of the ND's here. Can you imagine someone saying 'hey its empty the LCI is down' only to have a bang because the case just happened to be imperfect enough not to raise it?

I check the chamber with my fingers now, as I read a story recently where a Glock owner lit off a round because he ejected the mag and racked the slide then re-closed it and once he squeezed the trigger for disassembly the gun discharged.

Turned out the extractor was worn out and didn't grab the round when the slide was racked, resulting in a boom instead of a click!

·
Banned
373 Posts
All the more reason for many people to carry revolvers. I loke the ease of unloading on a revolver. Open cylinder and eject rounds. You are done. I know semis conceal better but revolvers will do just fine.
Thats an ignorant post... poor gun handling has nothing to do with the type of gun... refer to my post above this one.
Lafflin, you have company. I am as ignorant as you. I have owned a semi and now own a wheeler. I believe wheelers are simpler in construction, easier to unload and verify their status. I vote for ignorance!!

I would like to see a poll of the number of incidences of NDs between semis and revolvers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. It's always a good thing to come back to basics. I do believe that many get overconfident in their ability to handle a weapon safely. A buddy of mine blew a hole in the ceiling of his house while teaching his son-in-law about "gun safety"! At the age of 9, I was taught firearms safety by my father. The lesson consisted of one sentence - "boy, you F' up one time and you'll never touch that gun again!" :eek: I've tried to always heed that very basic advice from Dad. But, I will admit to discharging my revolver prematurely one time on the range. I had lowered the gun to cock it and, like an idiot, had my finger on the trigger while raising the gun and it discharged while I was about half way to my sight line. Yes, I was getting overconfident in my abilities. Fortunately, as always, I was pointing the gun down range so no harm, no foul. The problem was that it wasnt just any revolver, it was a 460 S&W magnum! It scared the holy crap out of me and did a number on my wrist because I wasn't braced for the blast. Anyway, thanks again for the reminder.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I would like to see a pole of the number of incidences of NDs between semis and revolvers.
Heres a pole...;)

Now seriously... there are also ND's with rifles, even bolt action ones... the type of gun has NOTHING to do with poor gun handling, guns dont go off by themselves, but if you want to believe that you are safer because you have a revolver then feel free to pull the trigger without ever checking the chamber... I hear Russian roulette is pretty safe:rolleyes:

·
Banned
373 Posts
Heres a pole...;)

Now seriously... there are also ND's with rifles, even bolt action ones... the type of gun has NOTHING to do with poor gun handling, guns dont go off by themselves, but if you want to believe that you are safer because you have a revolver then feel free to pull the trigger without ever checking the chamber... I hear Russian roulette is pretty safe:rolleyes:
Thanks for catching my mistake. Still would like to see a poll limited to sa's and revolvers. I do believe I am safer handling a revolver...so are those around me!!:)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Thanks for catching my mistake. Still would like to see a poll limited to sa's and revolvers. I do believe I am safer handling a revolver...so are those around me!!:)
LOL, just ribbing you on that one...

Clarify the logic behind this... I can drop the magazine and rack my slide visually verifying it is clear in about 1 or 2 seconds... its not some magic trick to clear a semi-auto weapon.

I've never fired a revolver, but I have handled one... seems like to clear and verify one you need to open it and dump the rounds out of the chamber, probably the same 1 or 2 seconds that a semi-auto takes to properly clear and verify, right?

·
Banned
373 Posts
Run the poll up the pole. That might tell the tale - so to speak.

I think it is easier to miss a round in the chamber of a s/a than in a cylinder. Time is a factor I never considered. You might be correct on that one.

I have read the "help" section on establishing a poll but can't start a new thread on this forum. Perhaps that is because the thread is condition yellow. Whatever that means!:mad:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Run the poll up the pole. That might tell the tale - so to speak.

I think it is easier to miss a round in the chamber of a s/a than in a cylinder. Time is a factor I never considered. You might be correct on that one.

I have read the "help" section on establishing a poll but can't start a new thread on this forum. Perhaps that is because the thread is condition yellow. Whatever that means!:mad:
Hmm... I dont know about the condition yellow problem... I think you just start a new thread and then click the box that says include poll before you submit the thread:confused:

As for missing a round in the chamber of a semi-auto... thats usually always due to someone improperly clearing the weapon... they rack the slide BEFORE they drop the mag, seeing they ejected the chambered round they "think" its clear, but not thinking about or checking for, the next round they just chambered because they didnt drop the mag BEFORE they racked the slide:rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have a problem with autos with hammers and I think decockers are great, although I've never had one. But the Glock design and guns like it like my Kel-tec 380 take a little more attention in my opinion. Not that a gun shouldn't always have your full attention but with these guns I'm always having to dry fire them to release trigger tension. Most revolvers can be loaded and unloaded without ever touching the hammer there-by I'm sure that there are probably more ND's with autos than revolvers. They just give you more opprotunities to screw up. Not to say you can't handle them safley but accidents happen and I'd say more often with an auto. I can completely see where some people would feel more comfortable with a revolver.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts