Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our household is new to gun ownership. My wife has always been opposed, but she gave me the green light, and bought my first firearm (P95) at the beginning of the year.

I took the time to explain gun safety to my wife and two daughters (10 & 15). They have yet to fire any guns, and have only come to watch me shoot once.

After explaining basic gun safety rules (always loaded, point in safe direction, etc...), I told my girls that they could handle my pistol whenever they asked, but that they were not allowed to touch it without asking.

When not on my person, the gun is in a quick access pistol safe next to my bed. That safe is opened as I retire for the night, and closed as I get up in the morning.

Here is the nerve wracking part:

My 10 year old told us that recently, when she was in our room, she accidentally bumped her head hard on the gun safe, and it popped open! When she told me, I checked it out, and sure enough, the safe will pop open with a firm hit. When I slam it shut, or hit the door after it is shut, it will not pop open in this manner. But if I close it with normal force, it is compromised ever time.

Now for the satisfying part:

My daughter did exactly as I told her. When the safe popped open, she (after rubbing her sore head) looked and saw that the gun was in there, and closed the safe. She did not touch. She told her sister, who was babysitting her, and they both made sure that we were told about it.

I am going to contact the safe company tomorrow.

I contacted God immediately and thanked him.

I am glad that I did not rely only on the PC safe for my daughter's safety, and I am glad for my wife of 22 years who has had such a huge part in raising two great kids.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Excellent on your daughter's part. Lousy on the safe manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
excellent training......
and a good post as all items we buy sometimes have quirks that can suprise us.

your safe sounds like the tail gate on my ole' pickup. Close it normal and it will jar open going down the road----slam it hard and it will stay latched.

·
Banned
723 Posts
It sounds as if you are a very safety conscious individual, which is commendable.

It's late/early, depending on your POV and my spelling stinks. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It is great to hear that your education of your family paid off. Sounds like you have a great family. Having the safe is great but teaching your girls what to do is the best thing you could have done. They should be awarded along with your wife for thier responsible actions. Now get that safe fixed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Time for a new safe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You do realize how old these threads are don't you?

·
Banned
164 Posts
I am going to contact the safe company tomorrow.

I contacted God immediately and thanked him.

I am glad that I did not rely only on the PC safe for my daughter's safety, and I am glad for my wife of 22 years who has had such a huge part in raising two great kids.
Well put. The real "safe" was raising your kids right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts