Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a brand new 10/22 a couple of months ago and right out of the box it was jamming, and stove piping. Took it back where I got it, and they sent it off to ruger. While it was being repaired (by the way Ruger sent me a brand new gun) I bought another one, and believe it or not...it jams and stove pipes also...strait put of the box! Anyone else have this issue? Whays going on? I went with 10/22 because of their quality, and reputation for being a great shooter. Possibly a bad batch of guns? Seems unlikely to by two bad guns in a row.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,413 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum. Using the phrases "right out of the box" and "straight out of the box" leads me to think the rifles weren't cleaned or lubed. Most semi auto's won't under those conditions. Every firearm needs to be cleaned before firing regardless of action type. They are full of dirt, grit, preservatives, and manufacturing debris. Were you using high velocity round nosed ammo? My 10-22 manual from years ago warned about mis-feeds with blunt tip truncated cone bullets. Do your loads have the words "Quiet", "Sub Sonic" or "Suppressor" anywhere on the box? Let us know how the clean rifle runs with Mini Mags or other quality HV ammo.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
ngashooter is correct, both mine cleaned prior to shooting them and found them "dirty". The preservative is for rust inhibition and not a lubricant. The two I have have shot everything I have fed them. Have never tried subsonic. Think the complete cleaning will help.

·
Emperor
883 Posts
If you were shooting any type of "quiet" 22 LR ammo that alone would account for failures to cycle. A 10/22 should cycle reliably with "standard velocity" ammunition which is subsonic but has a muzzle velocity significantly higher than the quiet ammo. Some budget ammo like Remington Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets have been known to result in a significant number of malfunctions in a variety of semi-auto firearms.

I would suggest trying some quality supersonic ammunition such as CCI Mini-mags. If the rifle continues to malfunction with that after a good cleaning, then I would say there is a problem with the rifle itself.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Having the same problem with two consecutive rifles makes me suspicious that the problem is with something other than the rifles. Sure, it’s possible to get two “lemons” in a row, but the odds aren’t good.

As others have mentioned, Ruger firearms (and many others) come from the factory with a heavy oil coating to keep the parts from corroding in storage. It’s thick enough to slow the movement of the bolt and lead to various failures to extract (“stovepipe” failures) and failure to feed. I’d imagine that, once it mixes with some partly burned powder residue (.22 rimfire is notoriously dirty), it causes even more friction.

The 10/22 has a lot of surface area on its bolt, which increases the potential friction from the heavy oil, and it’s also not the easiest rifle to disassemble for cleaning. One place to look for persistent preservative oil is the extractor - it can be sluggish if there is preservative on the channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you were shooting any type of "quiet" 22 LR ammo that alone would account for failures to cycle. A 10/22 should cycle reliably with "standard velocity" ammunition which is subsonic but has a muzzle velocity significantly higher than the quiet ammo. Some budget ammo like Remington Thunderbolts or Golden Bullets have been known to result in a significant number of malfunctions in a variety of semi-auto firearms.

I would suggest trying some quality supersonic ammunition such as CCI Mini-mags. If the rifle continues to malfunction with that after a good cleaning, then I would say there is a problem with the rifle itself.
I am using good ammo. Will try the mini mags though. Cleaned gun last night and will shoot it today and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

·
Exchequer
4,352 Posts
OP, welcome aboard and good luck on getting those 10/22 rifles shooting as they should. Like others here, I'm thinking that the issues were due to an uncleaned, straight-out-of-the-box firearm being asked to shoot an ammo it didn't like.

CCI mini mags seem to be a favorite on this forum for good reason - it is a generally reliable and easy-feeding ammo for most 22 lr firearms.

Fingers crossed that you are able to get things up and running smoothly. Please let us know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts