Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought and brought home my first 10-22 and have an issue before the first trip to the range. I got the customary one 10 round factory mag and bought a bx-25 spare mag. Doing must customary operational check out of the new firearm. Hand cycling to check feeding of rounds. The ten round mag will jam on the first four or five rounds out of a full mag and then cylce ok until empty. The bx-25 feeds perfectly hand cycling with a full mag. Same ammo in both mags. It seems like the mag spring in the 10 round is weak and will not feed a full mag. Any thoughts? The gun is unfired and uncleaned as of yet.

Thanks for the input. All of my previous 22 experience has been tube feeds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought and brought home my first 10-22 and have an issue before the first trip to the range. I got the customary one 10 round factory mag and bought a bx-25 spare mag. Doing must customary operational check out of the new firearm. Hand cycling to check feeding of rounds. The ten round mag will jam on the first four or five rounds out of a full mag and then cylce ok until empty. The bx-25 feeds perfectly hand cycling with a full mag. Same ammo in both mags. It seems like the mag spring in the 10 round is weak and will not feed a full mag. Any thoughts? The gun is unfired and uncleaned as of yet.

Don't stress it until you actually fire it. If you experience the same problems then look into it.

I'll have poor cycling by hand with all of my bx-25s but for the most part they're 100% when they're actually in use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just to be clear the problem is happening with the factory 10 round mag not the bx-25. Also will make it difficult to shoot the mag when it will not feed the first round in from a full mag.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
you probably did this already but, did you clean it thoroughly when you got it home to get all the gunk out? i've never had a moment's trouble from any of my ten round mags, but have recently started having trouble with my bx25. i just wonder if yours might be due to factory gunk. if not (and you have already given it a thorough cleaning) i'd default to justin89's thought about not stressing until actually live firing.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum and ownership of your 10/22. Once on the range you may also see a number of FTF's from both magazines, but that will largely correct itself after a few hundred rounds. Both my 10 round and 25 round magazines are more reliable now after about 400 rounds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with all of these responses clean gun and mag first then shoot the gun. I myself didn't have any trouble with my 10-22 but it is very common problem with semi-auto 22 to jam first few hundred rounds and the get better with time. Don't sweat it worst case its just the mag.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
you probably did this already but, did you clean it thoroughly when you got it home to get all the gunk out? i've never had a moment's trouble from any of my ten round mags, but have recently started having trouble with my bx25. i just wonder if yours might be due to factory gunk. if not (and you have already given it a thorough cleaning) i'd default to justin89's thought about not stressing until actually live firing.
ditto

·
Registered
334 Posts

I had this exact same issue with two of my Ruger 10 round factory mags. I got an allen wrench and loosened up the main bolt on the mag ... and I mean I just breaked loose the bolt. I then applied some Frog lube to the bearings. You can use a light oil. That will probably have a similar effect.

I have now run over 3000 rounds through these mags without a problem.

I also took the mags apart and re tensioned them. However, doing this is not recommended by Ruger.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome! All of these guys are spot on! I had the same issues at first, and they work themselves out after a good cleaning, shooting, and another cleaning.

·
Registered
17,084 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts