Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 10/22 all weather Friday and put about 100 rounds thru it on Saturday. Total enjoyment. I'm relatively new to guns, having purchased my first, a Remington 870, last June. Then, a P95 and now the 10/22.

I'll be 59 next March and had never shot a gun in my life. Joined a gun club near my house and have been shooting trap. Guns are addictive. Not sure exactly why....but I'm fascinated by the total mechanical aspect (no electronics or digital signals needed), and their distinct personalities.

Can't wait to begin personalizing the 10/22. The first issue will be optics as these old eyes with bifocals have difficulty finding the detail on the factory sights. But I still shot some pretty good groups.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Picked up a 10/22 all weather Friday and put about 100 rounds thru it on Saturday. Total enjoyment. I'm relatively new to guns, having purchased my first, a Remington 870, last June. Then, a P95 and now the 10/22.

I'll be 59 next March and had never shot a gun in my life. Joined a gun club near my house and have been shooting trap. Guns are addictive. Not sure exactly why....but I'm fascinated by the total mechanical aspect (no electronics or digital signals needed), and their distinct personalities.

Can't wait to begin personalizing the 10/22. The first issue will be optics as these old eyes with bifocals have difficulty finding the detail on the factory sights. But I still shot some pretty good groups.
Aw heck ... wait till you discover reloading! Once you get the bug ... there is no turning back.

You will find that purchasing ammo gets pretty pricey ... then reloading! That is the key to being able to send lots of lead down range!

It is all good!

·
Registered
304 Posts
"Can't wait to begin personalizing the 10/22."---foxconvert

Then you are gonna need to check out Tony Kidd.....
Bolts & Bits

·
Registered
304 Posts
"Can't wait to begin personalizing the 10/22."---foxconvert

Careful......it really can be addictive.....
You may want to join a 10/22 Anonymous group early...
get a jump on some help, before you get in too deep.....:)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum from New England! Being a new gun owner myself, I know exactly how you feel. I first bought an SR1911 in January for home defense. Two more guns have made it into my collection since then. It's an addiction! There really is no known cure. lol I hope you have fun with your 10/22, they're just as much fun to build as they are to shoot! Enjoy the guns and the forum. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Aw heck ... wait till you discover reloading! Once you get the bug ... there is no turning back.

You will find that purchasing ammo gets pretty pricey ... then reloading! That is the key to being able to send lots of lead down range!

It is all good!
And much better rounds.....:cool::cool:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Welcome to the RF Forum... I myself am somewhat green been shooting since August. Already have 4 firearms. The 10/22 is the most fun and affordable to shoot. I would get a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC very good up to 100 yds and very clear. Price is about $170-190.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Welcome from Northern California. This is a fun, relaxing sport we all have in common here, so enjoy! As for your 10/22, all I can say is it won't be your only one. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I am having a great time shooting, learning and understanding firearms. The comment mentioning "relaxing" hit me. It is truly relaxing. I come home from the range unwound (even if my aim isn't quite up to par that particular day) and relaxed. Been taking my boys (ok...well...men...as they are 31 and 33) and having a blast.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Welcome from Northern Louisiana. Yes, firearms can be pretty fascinating, can't they? I am in my 50's and got back to shooting after years of being away from it.

You may or may not want to rush into buying a scope for your 10/22. I initially thought I wanted to scope mine, as I was frustrated that I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I persevered, though, and have found that vast improvement comes with a bit of practice. If you shoot regularly with the open sights, you will be surprised at how your vision improves. Then there is the feeling you get the first time you nail a tiny target from 80 yards away.

If you check out shooting videos on YouTube, hickok45 does some very impressive off hand shooting with almost every kind of firearm imaginable. He even has 3 or 4 10/22 videos.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Welcome from Wisconsin! It's never too late to start shootin'!

I recently started getting into it myself. I got to shoot some as a kid, but I never had any stable male figures in my life and my mom wouldn't let me have any guns so I lost interest, until I got my first Ruger LCR awhile back for CCW carry.

Now the bug has bit, and I just got a 10/22 as well. Looking to either get a Ruger American Rifle .308 or some kind of shotgun for Black Friday! :D

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Ruger ownership. My last Ruger acquired was a 10/22. Very nice shooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome from North Carolina, I'm looking forward to retirement so I won't have to play hookie from work to go shoot.
I'm semi retired....work 2 days a week doing accounting for my church. That leaves plenty of time to shoot. And some $$ to buy ammo!

·
Registered
91 Posts
greetings from the Philippines!!

...i too am a new owner of a 10/22 but have been around guns a long time..

am still active working at 67 and am also an archer and golfer..

i have always wanted a 10/22 and finally got the stock carbine which i intend to use for recreational target shooting and small game hunting..

so far i've only mounted my older Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40 scope on it and a sling and have shot about 500 rds of various ammo..

...seems to like the the CCI standard ammo the best so far and it consistently shoots 1-hole 5-shot groups at 30M and sub-1" groups at 75M from a sandbag rest..

will be trying this out at the longer ranges up to 150M next..

it also likes the CCI velocitors as the groups are just a little bit bigger and these will most probably be my hunting ammo..

i only plan a trigger job and add a supprresor on mine as i like it to look as stock/sporting as possible..

i may get another one and modify it to be more tactical-looking later on but will try to keep this one as stock as possible..

it's a wonderful gun and am sure you'll enjoy yours as much as i do mine!!

BTW i had my worst groups with the CCI greentag ammo which is also the most expensive they had here at 2X the price of the standard....

i suspect the greentags were designed more for bolt-action .22s rather than semi-autos...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well gang...I'm impressed. Went out today, put about 175 downrange at 25 yards. I took about half those seated with no sandbag rest. The other half was from a standing position. I was actually better standing. Very pleased with the results. The gun is dead on with my old eyes and the factory sights. Shooting Winchester Super X but have 750 rounds of CCI Blazer coming.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used to be addicted to the smell of new car parts, gasoline, and burning rubber. Now I'm addicted to the smell of gun powder and cleaning my 10/22 after shooting hundreds of rounds through it. I just wish Ruger could build a semi automatic .17hmr rifle. You wanna talk about a market changer.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Central Georgia. Personally I have 2 10/22s now, the Sporter and Carbine model and now I want the Target model but boy are they hard to find right now. I want the brown laminiate stock with the satin black finish barrel and receiver. I have also contimplated in acquiring the 77/22LR bolt action rifle as well.

Reloading is definately addicting. I have been doing this for 30 years now. In fact I'm currently loading some rounds for the Single Action Shooting Society (Cowboy Action) shooting. We meet once a month at the particular club I joined and it's a blast.

Keep taking the kids shooting they are definately needed to help us keep this sport alive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.