Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hi, i'm a new 10/22 owner, just bought one yesterday and ordered the tapco stock today. I was on this forum, b/c i had a P95, but everyone always mentions the 10/22 all over the forum and other forums i visit, so looked into it, and seems like a great gun with HUGE aftermarket support, and really easy on the wallet compared to other guns...

So is there anything i should know before i start the modding?
This is going to be a plinker only, I do not hunt, and do not plan to.
I mainly visit an indoor range, so i don't think i need huge scopes and what not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will like that rifle, stock or otherwise. I am curious about that stock you chose; wondered about getting one for 1 of my 10/22s, but never did. Once you start buying hi-cap mags (that work---I have had good luck with Eagle brand) and bricks of ammo, you'll know how fun they can be. IMO, the 10/22 is one fine "do-everything rifle". You can hunt with it, go after targets, and it makes a good, compact setup for camping/woods bumming, when set up for that, too. Just a good all around rifle that will go "BANG" everytime.

Good shooting...

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome you will love the 10/22

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
noob, glad to see you have expanded your Ruger inventory. The 10/22 is just plain fun to shoot. Give us a report on your shooting experience once you have it out for a test shoot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i haven't shot it yet... I want to, but the rifle is taken apart and "hidden" around my car/house. The GF doesn't like me buying all these guns (and spending $$ on accessories) in such a short period of time (she lives with me) so i'm waiting to buy all the parts i want for it (I'm trying to get everything quickly so within 2 weeks), and put it together and then bring it home one day, and surprise her with my "200" dollar rifle. I'd just show her my receipt and said it came looking that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If ya gotta go through all that trouble, then maybe you need a new GF.

J/K Please post pictures, I'd like to get a 10/22 as my next Ruger.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nah, she's a great girl. Been with me through thick and thin, but I bought 3 guns in three months.... Bought the P95, XD9sc, and 10/22 each a month from each other (i don't even think it was a month between the XD and 10/22)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Came back from the range yesterday shooting my 10/22 with tapco stock for the first time, and all i can say is WOW!. I wished i would have bought this sooner, way more fun and cheaper to shoot than my 9mm's.... I still shoot my XD and P95, but the 10/22 is going to the range more often....

·
Banned
700 Posts
Best bang for todays buck!
TIP:
Watch out for sites who's primary role is to sell you their sponsors latest great stuff.
A nice 1022 can be made even better without all the bells and whistles for reasonable money provided you don't get sucked in by the hype of which there's no shortage!

..besides the more you do yourself the more rewarding!

SD

·
Registered
211 Posts
Best bang for todays buck!
TIP:
Watch out for sites who's primary role is to sell you their sponsors latest great stuff.
A nice 1022 can be made even better without all the bells and whistles for reasonable money provided you don't get sucked in by the hype of which there's no shortage!

..besides the more you do yourself the more rewarding!

SD
Song Dawg has a great point. You can modify oem Ruger parts and get the same results as hundreds spent on aftermarket parts.
I helped a friend with a low buck 10/22 build. He found a used rifle that a kid bought a GM bull barrel for then lost interest, paid $175. We worked over the receiver, about $5 in set screws. Did a JP Weld bedding job, $5. Then added a $50 scope and it shoots as well as the big dollar guns.:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what "must have" mods do y'all suggest? I'm not looking to spend crazy money on it, this is my "cheap" plinker... I'm wondering if i need a bolt buffer? I'm fine with the mag release (mine is the new plastic 10/22, so i think it's already extended) So i'm thinking auto bolt release, and bolt buffer (are these things needed?). Anything else?

·
Squirrel Sniper 1st class
254 Posts
definitely get a buffer, you can dremel the factory bolt release to work like the auto one, i did a trigger, carbon barrel, bell and carlson mag release, boyd stocks, red dot sight (till i put my B&L on there) and i am still buying volquartsen internals....

but as she sits it is a GREAT and reliable tack driver, with the new ER shaw barrel, and some internal work done, she will be an instrument of precision.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well just wanted to give an update... In the 2 weeks i've owned my 10/22 (a week and a half of which i haven't touched it b/c I was hiding it from the GF) I've taken it out twice in the past few days: Here's some pics:

I'm not trying to sink too much money into it, so i put on a cheap scope and stock, and put on the laser that came with my P95....

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I'll be getting one soon myself, just had to much fun shooting gophers yesterday with my brother in law at the farm. Until then I got a bolt action that works okay.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Noob, I feel sorry for ya. You got it and bad. That dreaded disease, Rugeritice. There is no cure. You will only buy more accessories for your 10/22 untill you can't buy no more. Then you will buy another 10/22 and then another Ruger. Until one day you look around and there are dozens of Rugers in your gun safe.
There is hope though. Give that 10/22 to me and hopefully you can break the curse. Don't feel bad about giving that 10/22 to me, I am to far gone to save.:D
Seriously, enjoy that 10/22. And the one you will eventually have to buy for the girlfriend when she shoots yours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea, my friend's LOVE my 10/22, they're now looking into 22lr rifles and pistols.... It's fun to shoot, fairly accurate (as accurate as i am), and cheap to shoot also. Only thing is, it feels like a glorified pellet gun.... I think i'm done with ruger, well maybe an LCP, but my gf has been getting on my case b/c i bought 3 guns in 3 months, so i'm laying off for a few months, but come this fall, i want to buy an AK47 just in case SHTF..... Oh yea, a springfield Loaded Champion is also in my near future....

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
noob, how could you do that to your friends. This is a highly contageous disease and you spread it to your friends!:eek: I can't believe it!:eek:
You know they are going to hate you. I hope you don't let your girlfriend shoot. All we need now is for it to spread to the female population.:D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Noob

By the girl friend a bracelet and she will over look your next purchase. Especially if the bracelet costs more then the gun.;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts