Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 10/22. It came with a 10 round mag. bx-1. When I load it it rattles inside. I bought 2 more at a gun show today and they both rattle when loaded. Why? Normal?
Thanks, Stu

·
Registered
89 Posts
Normal? Yes. What is it? Haven't a clue. My guess is the rounds bouncing around until they rotate up to the top of the mag to the feed position. I've got a bunch of the 10 round mags and they all rattle when loaded.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Never had tried, or thought about it, but yup mine rattle.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
OP, the Ruger 10 round rotary magazines just flat out work. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if it rattles a tad. They're one of the most successful magazine designs ever.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the mag has 1 or 2 rounds in it, it will not rattle. Beginning with the 3rd round you will hear a rattle. The cause is simple:

The single round is pushed up tight against the feed lips by spring pressure.

The first round loaded is pushed up tightly against the second round, which is tight against the feed lips.

If you have a clear mag, you can see how the rounds sit in the rotor. If you don't there are some photos of what it looks like here: Why Full Magazines Rattle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well answered RNGreenHat. The Ruger rotary magazine is noted for round slap.

Worth adding as an aside that the shells in most double stack center fire magazines (unlike single stacks) don't align perfectly as loaded and will often rattle somewhat - cured by hitting the mag base and then the mag back - otherwise known as the Aussie slap :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts