Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here she is... 735 bucks out the door, hope thats not too bad of a price? Looking for advice on what kind of optic to put on her? and how to mount it? ifor now ill start searching older threads

·
Registered
312 Posts
Short answer. Decide what you will do with it.

As you see, comes with rings. If use that way, will block iron sights.

Can mount scope in those rings, lot of choices in that diameter.

Can get different rings that have see through mount.

Or can get conversion to mount a rail and red dot or reflex red dot. Can do that where they block or do not block sites. Can also get mount for red dot or reflex that removes from the rail.

So those are couple of choices where you block the iron sights or not. Depends also on whether you are OK with the heights of the mounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To mount a red dot will the gun have to modified? i really dont want to drill on it or anything like that

·
Registered
396 Posts
That is a very good price,I see them priced at $1300 for used stantard mini 14.

·
Registered
312 Posts
TheEdge, sorry for the short answer. I had to head out to a meeting for awhile.

I picked up the folding stock version that has scope mount and rails already. You can add a rail where the scope rings would go. You could add a rail up to the barrel shield. Check the pictures others have under optics and under the Mini-14 posts in the rifles formum.

Then others will repeat some mount acccessories out there for you.

For red dots, some grab the low price 1X magnification ones and use just that, or some mount a swing away magnifier before it. Some go for more expensive, higher magnification red dots. Depends on how far you want to shoot and what you want to shoot at.

See the manual or the Ruger website, yours is already drilled and tapped for the rings or to mount a rail.

Likewise, yes, you got a good price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
scope

On my ranch I used the Weigand mount to use a Aimpoint red dot sight. Works great but with this mount you lose the use of the sights. I chose the 2moa Aimpoint 9000sc

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
There are some very good optics offered thru Nikon. The P 223 series the 3 power unit requires some special rings/ mount to work on the Mini 14. Because it is so short & the turret design but the P223 3-9 I bet it would work has the built in BDC for .223 & you can dial in your target based on how many yds out. My Mini 14 is a Ranch Model Stainless Steel put a Burris Mini 2-7x28 on my Mini-14 it fit just fine very clear optics with a range type of recticle on it. Like it so much I lucked out and found another one for my 10/22. There are alot of Tactical Scopes based for the AR-15 that will work with your tactical Mini-14. If you are in to your rifle $800.00 or close I would want to get a decent optic that works for your needs. My scope retailed new for around $300.00 I got my first one for $85.00 my 2nd one for $90.00 both scopes used but in excellent condition. Cabela's also has some decent scopes that are caliber specific if that's what you are looking for. Bu take a look at the Nikon P.223 series really nice scopes my 2 cents worth!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts