Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a rimfire kick as of late adding three new firearms to the safe: a Ruger 10/22 Deluxe Sporter, a Savage Mark II BTV, and now a Ruger 22/45 Target. With the cost of centerfire ammo and it becoming harder to find in stock locally I'm trying to use my stocked ammo sparingly. Rimfire ammo is the ideal way to continue to shoot and train at a very reasonable cost.

I've never owned a bolt action .22LR rifle. It's been at least 25 years since I last owned a Ruger 10/22 (although I do have regular access to my 16yo son's 10/22), and even longer since I last owned a Ruger Mark series pistol (the Mark I that my dad gave me when I was 12 somehow disappeared in a move). I have owned a Browning Buckmark pistol for the past 20 or so years (great shooter, very accurate). This was my only rimfire gun until a month ago.

My new 22/45 is the Target model with the bull barrel, checkered walnut grip panels, and adjustable sights. The grip angle is a major step up from the standard Mark series (IMHO of course - points more naturally in my hands). The trigger was heavy with a bit of creep and the magazine disconnector was a royal pain in the @$$. I ordered a BAM hammer bushing, a Majestic extended magazine release, and a Volquartsen drop-in trigger kit (trigger, hammer, sear, & springs). Installation went smoothly and passed safety checks.

The trigger is light and crisp with pre-travel and over-travel being practically non-existent. Being rid of the magazine safety is fantastic! I now have a few hundred rounds through it and I couldn't be more pleased!

Here's a pic (finished):

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
All I've done with my mark IIIs ( 22/45 Target and SSBB Target) is replace the magazine safety with an aftermarket bushing, polish the feed ramp, sear, and sear notch area of the hammer, and they both shoot like a dream; superbly accurate and boringly reliable with Federal Auto-Match ammo.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've got the same model. I put in a VQ sear and trigger, a Sam Lam bushing, and did the gravity slingshot mod. I also threw a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it. It's now my favorite range toy. Well, I kinda like my SR1911 too...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice mods.

I've got the same model. I put in a VQ sear and trigger, a Sam Lam bushing, and did the gravity slingshot mod. I also threw a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it. It's now my favorite range toy. Well, I kinda like my SR1911 too...
StrutStopper - you mention the TRS-25 topping your Mark III. That's high on my list. Did you consider other red dots before selecting it?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Very nice mods.

StrutStopper - you mention the TRS-25 topping your Mark III. That's high on my list. Did you consider other red dots before selecting it?
I did consider other red dots. I wanted to keep the cost down and still have a quality sight with a relatively small red dot. The two winners were the TRS-25 and one from primary arms. I decided to go with the Bushnell. Now that I have it, I don't know if I would bother getting a higher end sight for this gun even if I had the budget for it. I do like my friend's ultra dot but I don't see a justification for the price difference. The size of the Bushnell is also a plus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.