Ruger Forum banner

New 22/45 Lite

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AzShooter1 
#1 · (Edited)
While looking at Rimfire pistols I saw a cobalt blue Ruger 22/45 Lote on GrabaGun.com. The price seemed to be ok so I look it up in Rugers catalog. The model 3906 is no longer listed, I assume they no long make it with Cobalt blue barrel/receiver top.

In any case I bought the little jewel yesterday to join my MKIII 22/45 Target with bull barrel. In my research of the Lite, there were numerous complaints on FTFeed and other issues, so my plans were to field strip and clean/lubricate. I've had no problems with the Target and was positive about the Lite.

I took the Lite to the range on this nice sunny day in North Texas. I had a partial box of CCI AR Tactical 40gr and a full box of Winchester 333 36g. I loaded six magazines with CCI. Sixty rounds of the CCI were fired without a hitch as I got use to the trigger and "liteness". Shooting 10 rounds, poi were about 2 1/2 inches at 5 o'clock down and to the right from poa in the bull. Adjusted the elevation and fired 10 more. Adjusted windage. I wasn't happy with my groups, since I have been shooting the SR9c with the three dots. (Need practice with Lite and black front sight or paint it and maybe do something with the trigger pull.)

After shooting 60 of the CCI, I loaded two new mags with Win 333. The first round didn't chamber. Possible operator error in inserting rounds into magazine or dirty mag. Turns out when I worked the follower up and down, it sounded gritty. ( I didn't clean the new mags.) The rest of the 1st and the 2nd mag fired without problems.

Now I'm in the process in deciding whether to mount a red dot on the Lite or leave as is for a while and shoot with iron sights. I have a red dot on the Target that makes it a joy to shoot especially metal plates.

It was a good day to shoot.

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck with your new acquisition. Ruger .22s are addicting. I'm glad I got bit buy the bug and don't go to the range without one of my Mark series pistols. I shoot paper targets every Wednesday and Steel Challenge twice a month. Missed yesterday's match because the range was flooded. I can't remember the last time a match was cancelled do to rain.

In order of importance, stock up on ammo first, get a few more magazines and some kind of mag loader. I like the McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader. It helps me load much faster than any other method I've tried. I keep 10 loaded magazines with me and end up shooting about 400 - 500 rounds each range session.

Depending on what you will be using your Mark IV for get a decent Red Dot sight for it. Spend the money and you will not have to buy a new one for a while. My favorite is the C-More Railway. Another good option is the Vortex Venom. I like the C-More because I can change dot sizes from 2 MOA to 16. I primarily use a 12 MOA dot for Steel Challenge Matches but a 3 MOA when I'm just shooting paper.

My .22s all seem to like CCI Blazers. I like them because they are inexpensive compared to most other 22s. I stocked up when there were $20 a brick of 500. I'm using CCI SV for Steel Challenge Matches but practice with the Blazers. The slight difference is group size isn't important to me.

Check out Volquartsen when you want to do a trigger upgrade. Their Accurizing kit brought my trigger pulls down from over 6 pounds to just under 2 pounds. Ever once in a while VQ will have barrels for sale. I picked up a 5.5 inch target barrel for $25 and later got the 10 inch for $100. Tandemkross is another great vendor.

Good luck and good shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.