Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I shot the gun it didn't recycle several times. I cleaned the gun and greased the rails.

Yesterday, the gun repeatedly failed to cycle. I am using high-velocity American
Eagle ammo.

I am wondering if the grease - instead of oil - on the rails caused the problem.

Any thoughts?

Randy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems like you gave yourself another reason to head back to the range. :) Get that grease cleaned off. Put a light film of oil on the rails. Take a few hundred rounds to the range and report back. Try and get your hands on a few different brands of ammo. Some guns just dont like some brands. Lots of 22 shooters use CCI Mini Mags as a gold standard.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems like you gave yourself another reason to head back to the range. :) Get that grease cleaned off. Put a light film of oil on the rails. Take a few hundred rounds to the range and report back. Try and get your hands on a few different brands of ammo. Some guns just dont like some brands. Lots of 22 shooters use CCI Mini Mags as a gold standard.
Do this.... And these things only need a lite amount of lubricant. Also, make sure you have a firm grip.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
The first time I shot the gun it didn't recycle several times. I cleaned the gun and greased the rails.

Yesterday, the gun repeatedly failed to cycle. I am using high-velocity American
Eagle ammo.

I am wondering if the grease - instead of oil - on the rails caused the problem.

Any thoughts?

Randy
Is this your first "micro" sized pistol?

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
22 lr pistols are notoriously finicky with ammo selection. This is magnified the smaller thepistol is. I would bu 50 round or 100 round boxes of several types of 22 ammo. Also some 22slike the copper washed bullets liek remington gold clored as opposed to plain lead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problems with rounds sticking on the feed ramp with three different kinds of Cci .22 lr ammo.

I sent my pistol back to Ruger and they had a less than two-week turn around on it. They put in a new slide assembly, barrel and slide stop.

The pistol still had failure to feed issues, but after using Mini-Mags it is now running flawlessly.

This pistol seems a little finicky in its ammo diet, but the only round I would consider for Self Defense with it, CCi Mini-Mag 40 grain Segmented Hollow Points work fine, so it is a keeper

·
Registered
84 Posts
Grease can be a problem for full-size guns depending on temperature. On a little gun, it would be disastrous. Clean the gun thoroughly with solvent and then oil it with a light oil like Hoppes 9 or Militec-1.

If it feeds with CCI mini mags, then run it that way awhile. Keep it clean and oiled. After a hundred minimags or so, you can try cheaper ammo. That's what I did, and I've had no feed issues and now I can run Remington Thunderbolt, Aguila, Federal bulk, still with no issues. I learned that approach by having a similar issue with a security9. In that case, I ran 124gr. 9mm, militec-1 and kept it clean. One day, i forgot my 124gr and ran it with 115 gr. Still no problems.

There is no 22lr heavier than 40gr. That I'm aware of.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Traditionally .22 firearms choose the ammo they like, not the shooter. Over the years I have ha pistols, rifles, and conversion kits that would no function with one or more brands, or bullet/case types. Some manufacturers include information on brands etc to be avoided with their firearms. While teaching at a range, with the ranges .22/45 Rugers, we found that we had constant problems with some ammo, and through trial and error found that Federal 40 gr. plated shot just fine in all 10 guns, with few problems. Try several brands, and bullet types, one will probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,070 Posts
I have never had failures using Mil Comm TW-25 grease. A very light coat on the rails and outside the BBL. Grease what slides and oil what rotates. It is expensive but a tube will go a long time if used properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks folks for your help. This is my first micro pistol. I took the above advice and cleaned off the grease from the rails. I went to the range, and the pistol recyled much, much better, though not perfectly.

I wonder if part of the problem is also that, to reset the trigger, my finger has to go forward almost all the way, or at least farther than my CZ 85, it seems to me.

Also, I was talking to a shooter at the range, and he said the gun has to be broken in, meaning the edge of the ramp has to be smoothed out a bit.

I will try some different ammo.

Randy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Use the "standard" ammo....CCI Mini-mag round nose 40 gr. Avoid Mini-mag HP as it is 36gr. Another good choice is CCI Velocitor 40 gr. hollow point. Avoid any ammo less than 40 gr. I'm sorry, but avoid the grease until the gun is broken in and you're happy. For the early going, the lightest oils like hoppes 9 are a smart move. Run it a little wet and clean often. The LCP II is a breeze to clean up quickly.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Thanks folks for your help. This is my first micro pistol. I took the above advice and cleaned off the grease from the rails. I went to the range, and the pistol recyled much, much better, though not perfectly.

I wonder if part of the problem is also that, to reset the trigger, my finger has to go forward almost all the way, or at least farther than my CZ 85, it seems to me.

Also, I was talking to a shooter at the range, and he said the gun has to be broken in, meaning the edge of the ramp has to be smoothed out a bit.

I will try some different ammo.

Randy
I asked about if it was your first micro pistols because they are harder to shoot well.

I have about 6 really small pistols, two of them are .22 cal.

It's very easy to have a loose grip on them because the recoil is so light.

The slide needs all the recoii energy that the small cartridge puts out to cylcle the slide well. If you let your arm take up much of the recoil at all, it will short cycle causing jams.

Next time you are at the range concentrate on keeping your arm stiff and see if things improve.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Use the "standard" ammo....CCI Mini-mag round nose 40 gr. Avoid Mini-mag HP as it is 36gr. Another good choice is CCI Velocitor 40 gr. hollow point. Avoid any ammo less than 40 gr. I'm sorry, but avoid the grease until the gun is broken in and you're happy. For the early going, the lightest oils like hoppes 9 are a smart move. Run it a little wet and clean often. The LCP II is a breeze to clean up quickly.

Have fun!

CCi makes a 40 grain Mini Mag Segemented Hollow Point, and it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Eagle ammo.

Any thoughts?

Randy
Unfortunately you just happened to pick the wrong ammo for this gun, I just got back from the range trying out five different kinds of ammo on this gun. Most of the ammo faired quite well. The American Eagle was awful. It failed on almost every round. For me the Remington Golden bullet high velocity hollow point was the most reliable with not one failure in 100 rounds. Even CCI gave me a couple failures in a box of 100. You just never know what ammo your gun might like,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately you just happened to pick the wrong ammo for this gun, I just got back from the range trying out five different kinds of ammo on this gun. Most of the ammo faired quite well. The American Eagle was awful. It failed on almost every round. For me the Remington Golden bullet high velocity hollow point was the most reliable with not one failure in 100 rounds. Even CCI gave me a couple failures in a box of 100. You just never know what ammo your gun might like,
I have tried s
Just came back from range a few days ago and tried several different loads for my LCP II .22lr. It seems to be a bit finicky about the ammo it shoots, lots of light strikes on bulk ammo from Walley World. Even had trouble with some CCI, but it was a hotter than recommended load for the pistol. I found the three on the left of the photo to work the best for my pistol, you just got to try and find what it likes.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
What CCI’s were troublesome? where did you see or hear of a recommended load?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is one of the articles I read before purchasing the Aguila rounds and the Winchester Super X that worked on my pistol.

Tested: Ruger LCP II .22 LR Pistol

Ordered them from AmmoFast, great price on ammo, shipping sucks, but, you'll have that. The CCI round that gave me trouble was called the Stinger, 1640fps 32 gr. Attached is the order from AmmoFast. I'll be back at range in a few days, I'm a member, and bored to death during the virus crap. I'll let you know if any problems from the two Aguila rounds and Super X.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stingers flatass don't work in this gun. Neither do shotshells, 22 shorts or any thing much below a 40gr bullet.

The two best penetrators from lucky gunner's lab tests are the CCI velocitors and CCI Minimag 40 gr RN or CPHP.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for tip, not really worried about penetration, this pistol is just for fun and plinking. Like I said the Aguila were priced right and had a good report from American Rifeman. When I shot the Stingers through the pistol is was just one of the different ammos on hand to see how it would perform, I keep those around for an old bolt action 22 rifle I own.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts