Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as unplanned gun purchases go, I did OK today. I found an unattended 01708 GP100 in a local shop, and decided to wait no longer.
No rounds through it yet, the wife was riding one of her horses. Tomorrow, however, this thing will get a day in court.
I am liking the handling already.

Might even sell my security six now.
I'll see how this shoots, maybe i'll add a 4" to the stabe as well, and own the set ( have a 6" already).

pics to follow, hopefully.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I was very happy with my recent purchase of the 5". I am thinking of selling my two S&Ws.
Good luck with yours and happy shooting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
put some rounds through it after dark......seems an accurate little DA gun. Good hits on a random bottle with a headlamp.

the houge grip is comfy, buts its gotta go...this is a carry gun.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I want one of those 1708's:)

I have the 1751 (same gun in .38) and I love it, but have an extra set of XS sights and a Pachmayr Compac grip begging for a 1708 to go on...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I jumped on this as I had seen 3" 357's with FIXED sights and the 38's with ADJUSTABLE sights...
plus the price was reasonable.

until the CC bill comes in..i'm happy I did this.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I love my 1751, one of my best shooting revolvers:) I just felt the need to keep it more "traditional" since it's a .38......

A 1708 would need some cool night sights and modern grips, maybe even the new Pachmayrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wicked! I agree a great model to add to any collection. I look forward to many reports on the function and joy of shooting.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shooting and Evaluation:

I shot it a bit today, getting the sights dialed in for my XTP/cast lead reloads. I noticed that the rear sight insert was left of center enough so I noticed...and the gun shot left. Amazing.
I'll get it where I want it. Seems quite accurate, though I have not gotten used to the DA pull on it. Its pretty good, just a little gritty.

I really like the handling, it points well, feels great, but the big grip has got to go. I'll swap out he let grip on my 6" and see how I like it.

as far as cosmetic, well, there are some things on this gun I have read people complain about- the crane has an uneven gap. So what. The hammer has a line of checkering missing. there are some rough edges and toolmarks...frankly I don't give a **** about any of it. The gun is solid, accurate, functions well so far. Some want cosmetic perfection and I understand that, we DO pay good money for these things.
I have 200 or so rounds through it- all my reloads.No real issues of yet. After the gun was dirty I had a thick rim/crud make a case head hang up on the recoil shield and make the trigger pull heavy.

After about 500 or so rounds, if I have no issues, I'll work on some upgrades such as : chamber chamfers, BP chamfer, cutting the forcing cone for lead bullets, and dehorning/conturing for a bit more hand friendly feel. In the meantime, I'll make up an IWB holster and a method of carrying 40- 50 spare rounds on person.

I DID notice that the front sight was a bit tough to make out in some shooting, going to look at some tritium sights.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'll make up an IWB holster and a method of carrying 40- 50 spare rounds on person.
Can't help with the holster, but for the rounds, I've got just the thing: :D :p :eek:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ordered the set, it was cheaper than midway, and evidently trijicon does not make a setup for the GP. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts