Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 4" GP100 and got a chance to visit the range today with my wife. As far as .357s, I have a KLCR, two SP101s, a S&W 686Plus & now the GP100. I swapped the front sight for the Super Redhawk orange insert front sight. I replaced the Houge grip the GP100 comes with now, for a new, Ruger replacement grip in the Lett style. I cant believe how the 40 oz weight and the Lett old style grip soaks up the recoil from 357 loads. With 357s, the LCR is a handfull, the SP101s are much better, and the GP100 is a real joy. The GP100 handles recoil better than the S&W 686Plus, Im sure because of the grip frame is a "peg" and wrapped in rubber. The S&W is a full grip frame, covered thinly in rubber. The GP100 wood insert is satin finished Rosewood laminate, and really looks nice. I have a Super Redhawk I bought new in 1989, and it has the same grip, but with Goncalo Alves inserts, and they are dull and brown. The SRH has basically been a safe queen, and Im sure the wood looked like that when I bought it. The Rosewood sure looks better. Overall, I am very happy with the GP100, so much so, that I wish I would have bought it instead of the 686Plus. Sorry about the crappy basement workbench pic, but I know... No pics, didnt happen.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very Nice! I was converted to Ruger from S&W this year and my primary .357 is 686+. I really enjoy the sp101 but the trigger on my 686 is so much nicer. How is the trigger in SA and DA on the GP100? Being a heavier gun how is the accuracy?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Can't beat a GP100. I love all my guns, but there is something special about a big hunk of finely crafted stainless steal in your hand.

I'm going to have to go grip shopping. I like the factory Hogues, but i'll admit they aren't much to look at.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I envy you, I want one, Very nice gun.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Very Nice! I was converted to Ruger from S&W this year and my primary .357 is 686+. I really enjoy the sp101 but the trigger on my 686 is so much nicer. How is the trigger in SA and DA on the GP100? Being a heavier gun how is the accuracy?
My red dot equipped 4" GP will consistently print five shot groups of 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" at 25 yards from a rest with just about any factory load. Definitely the most comfortable to shoot 357 revolver I've ever owned, too. Trigger was excellent, right out of the box and one of the few Ruger revolvers I've owned that has not gotten a trigger job. Don't know what more you could want in a 357 revolver.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just love GPs. My most accurate gun, most reliable, most fun to shoot.
.357 is a very powerful round too - IMO.
Your's looks great. I could look at GP photos all day. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
My red dot equipped 4" GP will consistently print five shot groups of 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" at 25 yards from a rest with just about any factory load. Definitely the most comfortable to shoot 357 revolver I've ever owned, too. Trigger was excellent, right out of the box and one of the few Ruger revolvers I've owned that has not gotten a trigger job. Don't know what more you could want in a 357 revolver.
That's good to hear thanks for the info. That may be my next .357.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The trigger in SA is really nice. It does have just a slight bit of creap(creep?). DA is longer than the 686plus, but just as light, maybe lighter. I think that Ruger has been hearing our complaints about heavy triggers with these centerfire revolvers, because the triggers in DA on my SP101s and now my GP100 are nice and light. The GP100 has enough weight that when dry firing it DA, the sights dont move off the target, and I think thats one reason why people find them so accurate. Thats certainly a challange with a lightweight gun like the LCR. I wasnt able to shoot the GP100 at any range longer than 7 yards, because I was working with my wife on her skills, but it definately has potential. I was able to get very tight groups, and to point of aim at 7 yards.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I envy you, I want one, Very nice gun.
You have an excellent gun in the 3" SP101. The GP100 is very similar, in feel and function. Granted the GP has one more round available and adjustable sights, but the SP has the same quality and balance, just in a scaled down version. Both are really nice, and I dont think you are handicapped in any way with the SP101. Now, If you want one, just because... then I understand.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Have mine set up like yours with one exception..My front site is the green fire site from Ruger They come in sets of green red and white..I love my GP-100 All the revolver I will ever need..Thanks Ruger "You MADE my day" <g>

wPm

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Have you checked your cylinder throats. All six of mine were tight on my 4.2" GP-100. Three were tighter than .356 and three were tighter than .357. I reamed them all out to .358 - I shoot lead. Accuracy is excellent with my cast 158 gr RN boolits I use for IDPA. Great pistol.

The only thing I have noticed is you have to keep the ejector rod area clean as the the cylinder binds up pretty good over 100 rds occasionally if anything gets under the star.

Take Care

Bob

·
Registered
250 Posts
As much as I love my older Colt and S&W revolvers the Ruger GP100 and SP101 are the only current production DAO or DA/SA 38 Special/357 Magnum revolvers that I have any confidence in.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That is exactly the type of .357 Ruger I want, with a 4" barrel and those grips. Where did you get them? I don't see those grips as an accessory on Ruger's website. I don't care for the finger groove Houge's and was considering an SP-101 instead.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Very nice, The original grips are the way I would like a GP100 to look if I had one.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That is exactly the type of .357 Ruger I want, with a 4" barrel and those grips. Where did you get them? I don't see those grips as an accessory on Ruger's website. I don't care for the finger groove Houge's and was considering an SP-101 instead.
I got them on Ebay, I just looked and the seller I got them from is sold out, but there are currently 2 other original grips running. I got mine for $45. If you dont want to go the ebay route, you can get the rubber grip and wood inserts from Altamont, and then source the aluminum locator and screw from Brownells or MidwayUSA

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah I became a Lett style grip convert about a month ago. They just feel right, shoot great, and I really like the look.

I found them new on Ebay for $35 free shipping, but was looking at the Altamont grips too.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations, very nice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts