Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New .44 Vaquero with Pics

I bought a polished stainless .44 magnum Vaquero today. It looks like it's at least a 7.5" barrel, maybe a bit longer? It has beautiful stag grips with the Ruger logo with a black background. I just had to have it, it'll be my first Vaquero.

Unfortunately, living in Cali, I can't do the background check until Saturday due to the one handgun a month rule. I'll then be able to pick it up on the 18th. I'll post pictures after I pick it up.

Would some of the more expert gentlemen here please tell me a little about what I bought?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
The 44 Mag was only available in the older heavy frame ... not the New Vaquero. Ruger never made a Vaquero barrel longer than 7.5" so that's probably what you got. Vaqueros have fixed sights and are a very strong revolver. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan. Would the stag grips actually be factory?

I'd say that it's conservatively 95%. I'll post photos asap.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ruger

CA357: Sir;:) your my kind of shopper:)
Don't know; and sure can't help you; but you can garuntee that I'm PROUD of YOU. :) Shoppin Man:) got his-self a RUGER.
10 day wait SUCKS.:(
Pictures when you can; Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Craig. I'm sure looking forward to shootin' that rascal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The stag's are not factory. Ruger factory stag's ended in 1961 (XR-3 frame) at $8.50 per set. I do think there were some factory stag's on some late Bearcats, but not positive.

That said, there are some very, very nice after market stags out there, and it sounds like you have some on that .44. Would love to see some pictures.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be able to get some pics tomorrow at the shop. It depends on how busy we are, Saturdays are usually nuts. Otherwise, it will be when I pick it up on the 18th.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's some pictures I shot real quick. They're not great, but it was really busy today. I'll post better when it's home. Click on the pics a second time for a closer shot.

What about the grips? Factory or not?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Though the grips really look nice and seem to fit very nice, they are not Ruger factory grips. The only Ruger factory made stags would not fit the Vaquero grip frame, besides, they look just like Sambars from Eagle Grips. See: http://www.eaglegrips.com/ If the dealer is claiming there are genuine and the price of the gun is jacked way up, tell him he's full of crap. A good set of Sambar stags sells for about $125. A pair of factory Rosewood grips run about $40 .... so the difference is $85.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the concern Iowegan, but the price is definitely not jacked up. I work part time at a gun shop and the owner give's me an excellent price break. I just like the grips a bunch and they were the deal maker. I just didn't know if they were factory or not.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked up the Vaquero and pulled the grips. They are Ajax model 31 grips. They are Sambar Stag and they sell for $300. That means this gun purchase went from a very good deal to an incredibly sweet deal. :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Very nice aquisition. The stags are great looking. Now we need a range report.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to the range Saturday if I can get away.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Don,
See you made it here.
A belated WELCOME !
Think you've got a real deal.
Now then,if Popeye (FFF) would quit offering you deals..........
I'm kickin myself for not gettin that NM Vaquero as a flashy model.
Instead,bought a plain-jane model.Oh well.Still my birthday and
graduation present from last year.
Sure ain't no "safe queen".
Hope you'll enjoy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts