Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a AR556 from Cabalas Just before Christmas.
I was at Cabalas just before Christmas and noticed The Ruger AR556s were on sale so I decided to buy one. I looked at and went over the one that was one the shelf and decided to get it. I started to do the paper work and the guy behind the counter went in the back room to get my new gun. He brought it out and opened the box, we looked at it but never took it out. Last week I finely got around to taking it out and give a good look so I could decide what scope and mount I would like to get for it. As I was looking at it I noticed that there wasn't a clip in the box. There should have been a ten round clip that comes with it rite?

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
734 Posts
As far as I know, the Ruger ARs do not come with any stripper clip or magazine loader. The only Rugers I know of that come with something to load the magazine are the SR series, which come with a small mag loader in the box.

And if you meant 10 round magazine, yes it should have at least one in the box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know, the Ruger ARs do not come with any stripper clip or magazine loader. The only Rugers I know of that come with something to load the magazine are the SR series, which come with a small mag loader in the box.

And if you meant 10 round magazine, yes it should have at least one in the box.
Yes I meant 10 round mag. I will be heading that way in the morning. Will see what they say. Most likely will have to buy one.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hi, uplandpointer, and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new AR-556

A word to the wise, if you're new to gun forums, you're likely to get grief if you don't get your terminology right. Folks will give you a hard time if you call magazines clips. AR's, AK's, semi-auto pistols, and a whole lot of other guns these days load from removable magazines.

The M1 Garand in WWII used en bloc clips to load it's magazine. Before that, the magazines of 1903 Springfields were loaded using stripper clips.

As for your rifle, Ruger supplies one 30-round Magpul magazine with it. If Cabela's didn't give you one with yours, you could try asking them for one. You could also try calling Ruger.

Magpul magazines are inexpensive, usually around $12-14. You're likely to want several magazines for your rifle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I just wanted to know before I walked into the store and started inquiring about it. I bought a 30 round Mag for it that day but was surprised to see that there wasn't one in he box.

Ditto 1958, I'll work on my terminology:)

Thanks Again
Brad

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Uplandpointer:

Just to keep it straight in your head: Clips (as in stripper clips) feed magazines. Magazines can be removable, as the AR we're talking about, or the can be built into the rifle like many bolt action rifles.

I would also go back to the store were you bought the AR. It's pretty obvious somebody there took out your magazine to give it to another customer or just ripped the store off.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
Uplandpointer,

If your AR556 is a standard model, it should have come with a Magpul 30-round magazine.

If it's a "compliant" model (no bayonet lug, fixed stock, pinned flash hider) it should have come with a 10-round mag.

Depends on what your state laws allow.

Aqualung

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stopped by the store today and explained my situation. The guy behind the counter went in the back room and looked around. When he came out he said there were not any laying around (not even a used one). So we went over to the shelf and grabbed a new one and charged it out to the store.

Turned out to be great customer service!

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
In 1911 the US Army called the feeding device for the Colt 1911 a clip.

In 1944 the US Army called the feeding device for the M1 Carbine a clip, but also called it a magazine.

In 1966 the US Army called the feeding device for the M-16 a Magazine, however, the curved AK47 feeding device was known to all as a "banana clip".

To this day, Remington still refers to these devices as "magazine clips".

The Webster's dictionary definition of a clip as it pertains to firearms.
2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

--------------------------------
What does this all mean?

It means call it whatever you want but brace yourself for the education you will receive from the experts. It really depends on one's age as to whether clip and magazine are interchangeable.

btw, that was great CS from your LGS.

Reactions: Dprestosh

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse - and certainly not meaning to embarrass the OP - but there are a lot of people who have a visceral reaction to hearing a "magazine" called a "clip", and I'm one of them. For a lot of us, it's because the anti-gun media consistently makes that mistake (and others); it's how I know whether the reporter is pro-gun (a rare bird, indeed) or anti-gun (just as I know whether someone is part of the Obama administration by whether they say "ISIS" or "ISIL").

For me, I flash back to a session on the rifle range at Ft. Bending when one of my 149 "roommates" asked the drill sergeant, "How do I load this clip?". It makes my push-up muscles ache.

Jim

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
So, let us know how it shoots when you get to take it out the first time, buy more magazines for it, and never, ever call it a clip again :)

Glad you got it resolved, you should still call Ruger and complain, I bet they send you another mag and something else for your trouble ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts