Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this rifle new in 2015. Put a scope on it and tried various factory ammo and reloads. It had a few failures to feed during the first few hundred rounds but has since had not one problem, now at about 1,100 rounds. Best accuracy at 100 yards bench rested was in the 1.5" range scoped. I wasn't impressed at the time and shot more accurate bolt guns mostly.

I recently took a renewed interest in the Mini and decided to use it to see if at 66, I could hit with iron sights. I did add a Tech sight and got a 5 round Ruger magazine to minimize its appearance to a more "non scary look" The ejection was way too strong so also put in a .045 gas bushing and took it to the range yesterday.

Even with some wind and the sun shining straight at me, I was able to shoot consistent groups of 3-4" benched at 100 yards. I was happy with this.

While shooting tight groups with bolt guns is fun, this Mini 14 is shooting as well as I think it should. Its accuracy is good with a wide range of ammo The ejection is now about 10' and 57 of the 60 casings were easily found, hardly dented at all. I think with more practice and better range conditions I might tighten the groups a bit.

For me, this Mini 14, in its most basic stripped down form, is what these rifles are really about. Simple, reliable, light and handy, I've sort of rediscovered my Mini 14.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Good to hear.

I get tired of threads where people buy a Mini and then complain that it doesn’t shoot cloverleaf groups. It’s a ranch rifle, made for carrying around in the back of a truck and for dispatching pests.

Still, a Mini-14 is a rifle, and is capable of shooting accurately. A friend at the range has one, and we can pretty easily shoot clays off the 100 yard berm with it.

·
Exalted One
1,685 Posts
Robert, great post! As you indicated, it is a capable <2 MOA shooter properly bench-rested and scoped, and with a skilled and patient shooter (I'm neither). Any opening up with irons is more likely due to the shooters' eyes. Mine are going on 67 years...

I never expected my Mini-14s to be sniper rifles but rather fun shooters, pest eradication within 100 yards humanely, and self/home/farm defense. I have toyed with scopes (mostly for zeroing on paper), but replaced them with either irons or a TRS-80 red-dot. They do everything I ever wanted, and do it very well.

I have one bolt gun (Savage Axis II XP in .223 with a 3-9X40 scope) for the humane dispatch of rabid critters at about 300 yards (much farther and it gets into the woods where there is not a clear shot). Don't shoot it very much but good to know it is available when needed.

Am happy to report I've never killed a critter with either my Minis or my bolt gun (in fact, only once - with a .22 pistol to put a fatally injured squirrel out of its misery). I don't hunt and love the critters of our land. Threats to our horses and barn cats though, will be dealt with. 'Yotes are the biggest threat, but they usually keep their distance - although for the past week they are close by. The stream that marks our property line may dissuade them from coming onto our property, as it's about 10-20 feet wide and it's cold outside.

·
Registered
718 Posts
robert 1408; you hit it square on the head! The Mini, like the M14 and M1 it's patterned after, was never intended to be a bullseye shooter but rather a decently accurate carbine.

I've also had my 583 Series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle I got NIB, for over 4 years and I've always used it as an irons only carbine. I went the whole accuracy route with a shimmed receiver, smaller gas bushing, torqued gas block screws, Accu-Strut (for better cooling rather than stiffening), Tech Sight rear sight, and Choate HG so that with my handloaded Hornady 62grn loads, it is an honest 1.25 MOA shooter.

Besides the Tech Sight upgrade, I also got their target aperture and thinned the front sight blade down so I have 'NM' sights on it like I have on my M1A. That's plenty good enough to use it to shoot bowling pins at 200yds with iron sights . . . and I'm 72. :)

Not one to leave well enough alone, a few years later, I decided that I wanted it to have the full 'Mini M14' look so I added a walnut stock, Choate front sight/FH, and some OE brand straight 20rd mags to go with my Ruger 20rd curved mags. All in all, it's a blast to shoot and a great 'little brother' to my M1A.

·
Exalted One
1,685 Posts
Depending on how far commie Virginia goes, one or both of my Minis will be considered "assault weapons". Even a flash hider makes them one and a threaded barrel (for the flash hider) is verboten. No grandfathering. >10 round mags are also verboten, as are folders - even if not installed. Possession of any "accessories" would be a Class 6 felony...As written, any one feature makes it an "assault rifle".

If this holds, my nephew - the heir to this "vast estate" will get them sooner rather than later and I'll get a plain-Jane Ranch Rifle which, currently, isn't considered an "assault rifle". Unless I plug in a 20-rounder...

Sucks to be a gun-owner in VA right now...Only hope is that sanity prevails. Not holding out hope for that, though...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Not one to leave well enough alone, a few years later, I decided that I wanted it to have the full 'Mini M14' look so I added a walnut stock, Choate front sight/FH, and some OE brand straight 20rd mags to go with my Ruger 20rd curved mags. All in all, it's a blast to shoot and a great 'little brother' to my M1A.

A nice looking pair!
What did you use to paint the handguard (Choate?) on the Mini?
How is it holding up?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I like my minimized ranch rifle so much that I ordered a Mini 14 Tactical in 300 Blackout. The version that came with two 20 round mags was $44 cheaper than the five round model at Bud's. I ordered two 5 round magazines from Ruger and a 5/8-20 thread protector.

I figure the 16" barrel, no flash suppressor, and the 5 round mags should give me a very compact, sleek and non threatening little rifle.

I considered a Mini 30 but I already have lots of 300 Blackout brass and dies from loading for my CZ 527. I'll put a scope on the new Mini for some load development, then drop back to the irons. I'm not looking for tight groups from the Mini since the CZ does that very well. If it's as accurate as my 2 moa Mini Ranch, I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What did you use to paint the handguard (Choate?) on the Mini?
How is it holding up?
It's been 4 years and many K rds and it still looks good as new. This picture was before I got my walnut stock.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks good.
Did you use any kind of primer before the Brown, or clearcoat over the brown?
Nope, just cleaned it with an alcohol wipe before I shot it with 2 light coats of brown. No clear coat on top.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yep, cotton M1 Carbine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
1.5" groups

I know this is an old post, but JEESH! ONLY getting groups of 1.5" with a mini? Thats pretty damn good with any rifle. Mine is a 583, scoped, & I get the same at 100 yds, & pretty tickeled with it.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Va needs to VOTE this dem trash out .Pitt PA tried something like this and got beat down not long ago .

Just curious, but what’s Va got to do with mini?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depending on how far commie Virginia goes, one or both of my Minis will be considered "assault weapons". Even a flash hider makes them one and a threaded barrel (for the flash hider) is verboten. No grandfathering. >10 round mags are also verboten, as are folders - even if not installed. Possession of any "accessories" would be a Class 6 felony...As written, any one feature makes it an "assault rifle".

If this holds, my nephew - the heir to this "vast estate" will get them sooner rather than later and I'll get a plain-Jane Ranch Rifle which, currently, isn't considered an "assault rifle". Unless I plug in a 20-rounder...

Sucks to be a gun-owner in VA right now...Only hope is that sanity prevails. Not holding out hope for that, though...

Been following the tyranny unfolding in Virginia right now. Been living behind enemy lines in CT since 2013 where they basically banned most of the scary pistols and rifles along with standard capacity mags. Hoping to move to Florida in 1.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's so ironic that Virginia was the home of Thomas Jefferson and others who freed us from the tyranny of England.

Around that time, some wise man (Franklin?) said "I give you a democracy, if you can keep it."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts